Knackered Laptop

My Laptop is knackered,
Its a Toshiba Satellite, (about 3 years old)
windows 7 Home Premium,
processor= Intel (R) Core™i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz 2.10 GHz
installed memory = 6.00GB
System type= 64-bit operating system
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

It keeps shutting down to ‘Install Updates’ but it wont install the Bloody Things, I’ve tried to install them manually but it still wont play the game.
I can still use it but its bleeding annoying ! :imp:
I cant play videos from the DVD drive any more either, not that I’ve used it much, but I wanted it for my motor home & found that it doesn’t work.

question ! Should I go back to factory settings, & will this wipe out my ITunes.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated, please keep it simple, I’m not a Silicon Valley Computer Nerd. :unamused:

I’m probably the least qualified person here to comment on this ; my solution to misbehaving computers is to fill the bath with water and place them in it to teach them a lesson, but don’t I tunes get stored in the cloud thingy? If so you’ll be able to retrieve them on a new device.

I also think that that cloud thing is witchcraft and personally believe that all stuff is actually stored in a lock up in Croydon guarded by a man named Dave.

If you go back to factory settings, your laptop will be as the day you got it.
If itunes wasn’t installed, you’ll need to reinstall it, so any music stored on the laptop will be gone too.
Back it up onto another drive. Along with any pictures or other stuff you want to keep. As the laptop is still usable, you should have any problems with that.
Try these this one and this one.
(I can’t promise they’ll work, just googling)
As for dvd drive, are you using windows media player or another program. Try vlc player. Otherwise dvd may be faulty/ needs a lens clean.

the maoster:
I’m probably the least qualified person here to comment on this ; my solution to misbehaving computers is to fill the bath with water and place them in it to teach them a lesson, but don’t I tunes get stored in the cloud thingy? If so you’ll be able to retrieve them on a new device.

I also think that that cloud thing is witchcraft and personally believe that all stuff is actually stored in a lock up in Croydon guarded by a man named Dave.

Lol.
My thoughts exactly, except I was thinking of Running over it as well, with all 6 wheels on the n/side of my wagon, then spinning round & & giving it the other 6, just to really teach it a lesson !

Dav1d:
If you go back to factory settings, your laptop will be as the day you got it.
If itunes wasn’t installed, you’ll need to reinstall it, so any music stored on the laptop will be gone too.
Back it up onto another drive. Along with any pictures or other stuff you want to keep. As the laptop is still usable, you should have any problems with that.
Try these this one and this one.
(I can’t promise they’ll work, just googling)
As for dvd drive, are you using windows media player or another program. Try vlc player. Otherwise dvd may be faulty/ needs a lens clean.

Cheers Dave, I’ll give the rebooting tricks a try when I get home, if that doesn’t work, I’ll try the factory reset. If that doesn’t work, it’s gonna be Moasters ‘Fix’ in the bath & under my lorry. Lol.

I knew someone once who had a pucked up laptop , he accidentally kicked a cup of tea all over it. his home insurance co was very apologetic that they couldn’t get it repaired but they sent him a voucher so that he could replace it . :smiley:

Had a similar sort of thing and what it was trying to do was install 2 updates that couldn’t be done at the same time …
pain in the rear …

nick2008:
Had a similar sort of thing and what it was trying to do was install 2 updates that couldn’t be done at the same time …
pain in the rear …

I’ve tried manually updating 1 at a time, with no other program’s running & the firewall off (standing on one leg, whistling a Merry Tune) re starting about 10 times & it’s still not playing my game.
Gonna try resetting it & hope for the best !
Worst case £400 for a new one. GRRRRR !

syramax:
I knew someone once who had a pucked up laptop , he accidentally kicked a cup of tea all over it. his home insurance co was very apologetic that they couldn’t get it repaired but they sent him a voucher so that he could replace it . :smiley:

That’s an option (after I’ve driven over it !) lol.

hey mart, go to start and type config, click system config, then select diagnostic start up, this should find errors good luck bud

support.microsoft.com/kb/971058, may help mart

iceman1:
hey mart, go to start and type config, click system config, then select diagnostic start up, this should find errors good luck bud

Thanks Iceman, just mucking about with it at the moment, it’s restarting, but I don’t think that I’ve got enough time tonight (got an 08.00 at Poxy Asda Doncaster in the morning) so I’ll have a play on Saturday.

no worries mate, if that fails try this,Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow (note the space before the backslash)
When the scan is complete, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved. any probs bud just ask

Think he’ll be round Sunday for dinner iceman :wink:

■■■■ windows off and buy a macbook. I did and never looked back.

Re the driving over it; instead of spinning round, it’s quicker to back over it, gives you a bit of practice too for when you want to take the mirror off a badly parked car.

How can you see where you’re reversing if you never look back. :grimacing:

sound nick your invited too but dont bring yer laptop :slight_smile:

Dav1d:
How can you see where you’re reversing if you never look back. :grimacing:

Web cam but he ■■■■■■ that up backing over it taking the mirror off the micro at the same time :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I’ll Bring the beer then Iceman :grimacing:

good shout old fruit

I can look forward to a beer or three though. :slight_smile: