Kiwi on a holiday visa

Hows it going? Truckers
Im after alot of advice, the ■■■■■■■■ furry magnet has sucked me in!!
My working visa has been approved. I can work for a year in the UK
I’ll be moving from NZ to Portsmouth to be with my gal Lily in May, Im 29
I have been driving trucks for 9 yrs, Big rigs for 3 1/2 years, flat decks, artics, truck and trailers, tippers, forklifts, loaders My current mount is a DAF430CF.

Whats the best way to get the best job I can?
As Im only able to work for up to year Is are there any good temp agency’s
around Portsmouth?
Will a company employ me if I only have an international licence?
I ve only ever got jobs thru word of mouth so applying with CVs and talking myself up is going to hard. I know my way around trucks and Im reliable so I think I have something to offer a good operator

Any one wanting advice on kiwi land Im more than happy to help out.
I bet you guys like forgeiners looking for jobs about as much as we do. LOL
Any advice is will be much appreciated! thanks heaps
Shane (alderson.co.nz)

Is Patrick White still on the go?

He has employed more kiwis than anyone but forget seeing the UK :stuck_out_tongue:

Im not planning on seeing the UK. Im planning to be parked on the m25 by the looks of things Searching for patrick white now, That poor SV looks like its seen better days

Word of caution. Unless things have changed, your New Zealand HGV licence may not be valid in the UK.

Some years ago when i worked in recruitment I had this situation with a Kiwi guy who’d relocated to the UK; even got my local MP involved as his office was on the next floor, he checked it out and all the guy could drive was 7.5 tonners despite him having had his own rig in NZ.

The stupid thing is that we can now legally employ drivers who cannot speak English, have never driven on the left and furthermore have never driven a RHD truck, but cannot allow a guy who fulfils all three criteria to do so.

God bless the European Union! :angry:

I would strongly suggest that you contact the British Embassy and get written confirmation of the eligibility of your licence.

interesting, i drove an 18 tonner on an aussie license when i was back in ireland for a while last year, the gaffer said he had me on the insurance so… :question:

gnasty gnome:
The stupid thing is that we can now legally employ drivers who cannot speak English,

Whilst that is technically true, you can and will be prosecuted for it if they have an accident or whatever whilst in your employ. :wink:

Wheel Nut:
Is Patrick White still on the go?

He has employed more kiwis than anyone but forget seeing the UK :stuck_out_tongue:

pretty sure all paddy’s drivers are based at his place in poland nowadays

Hmmmn Sounds like a call to the embasy is on the cards, Thanks for that good place to start. :open_mouth:

SK

Have a look at this page you may be SOL .

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022559

We have a recipocal agreement but that is only for a car licence as does not count for a vocational one ie HGV

Turners had some Kiwi, Aussie and South African drivers appear about 5 years ago and I know they had to do the rigid test and the artic test.

They were a good bunch of lads and a couple are still there .

This of course was before Turners realised that they could employ a whole shed load of top quality eastern europeans without the need to pay for flights, visas and HGV training.

Good luck with finding a job.

Yip It looks like Im SOL, It looks like I have to start from a provisional :open_mouth:
I think that is Fn crazy
I have my girl going in to the DLVA tomorrow to yell and scream but I dont think its going to do any good
Can I be checky and ask how much the whole deal would set me back money and time wise? from provisional to HGV1.
obviously easier to get a company involved But since my visa only allows me to work for 1 year its going to be hard

Any one got contact info for Turners?

The biker, Im a biker too, great crew for bikers down here if your ever in this neck of the woods. kiwibiker.co.nz. The plan was to live with my girl in Portsmouth for a year. she is bike mad, get a bike and tour around europe next summer, going to be real hard now if cant use my experience and have work at McD’s,
Im not giving up. I coming to the UK.
So Ill just have to do alot of door knocking when I get there

someone had better tell him about digi cards etc ect

Come on fuse fill me in please. Im looking and searching I have read about tachy’s and WTD and such. What is the deal with digi-cards do mean the digital licence?

Suffolk ReeferBoy:
Turners had some Kiwi, Aussie and South African drivers appear about 5 years ago and I know they had to do the rigid test and the artic test.

They were a good bunch of lads and a couple are still there .

This of course was before Turners realised that they could employ a whole shed load of top quality eastern europeans without the need to pay for flights, visas and HGV training.

Good luck with finding a job.

Top quality eastern european drivers■■? and my flight and visas are already payed for and Im willing to pay for my tests if need be.

Are there any good temp, recruitment agencys worth a ring?

I didnt mean to offend any east european truckers out there as I havent worked with any yet, I can not have a valid opinion. I only know a couple of people in the UK they dont work in the industry but they kinda scoffed when I mentioned high quality east european lorry drivers, I presume its a language barrier thing

Any way tryn to get a digital CV together to send to some recruitment companys in Portsmouth .
Hoping they will invest in a careful driver that takes care of his gear.
May rodger be with me! rodger[/img]

fuse:
someone had better tell him about digi cards etc ect

Once you’ve got your LGV licence, you’ll need a Digi Card from here;
transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/v … rtcard.htm