Kit

I’ve seen a few posts from people asking what to take out, so it might be a good idea to tell people what we take to work.

I don’t do tramping, but I try to cover all possibilities for a night shift;

*Map bag; with truckers’ atlas, reading glasses, sat nav, notebook of simple diagrams of depots from nearest motorway junction (& any relevant area A-Z if I need it).
*Notebook & pens so I can jot down break times, load numbers for next job, trailer no & anything else I’m liable to forget!
*Personal bag; with sandwiches, sweets, cakes & a big bottle of water/squash; that handwash stuff you just rub on, ipod, phone, tobacco tin, painkillers, enough money to cover coffees, extra food and any possible parking charges etc(reimbursable) if I ever get stuck and have to stay out.
*PPE bag; gloves, hard hat (only needed for occassional sites), rubber mallet - sometimes those back door handles or curtain poles are a ■■■■■! Spare bulbs, Kitchen roll/rag for cleaning mirrors or that annoying windscreen smear right in my line of vision, and a screwdriver. Always carry a screwdriver, even if you use it to stir your vile machine-coffee that’s like tar at the bottom :grimacing:
*Spare pants in case of hideous roads… I’m kidding :smiley:

Sometimes I’ll take a blanket & travel pillow if I think I’ll be waiting somewhere for hours, or can get half an hour’s kip in on a break.

(Sounds loads but it isn’t really)

Blow up doll.
Puncture repair kit for the doll.
Foot pump for the doll.
Spanish Matador bull fighting spears for the windscreen.
Your own bit of Marbella in Manchester.
Roll of carpet for body disposal.
List of massage parlours to get your back massaged.
Flip flops and shorts to pretend to be foreign.
Jogging trousers.
Wife beaters vest.
Pot of glue to attach to the upper torso so you can glue the hiviz on all day and sleep with it.
Wear a hiviz in the cafe so we can all see you.

Nice list, anyone got any recommendations where I can find a map bag that Phillips truckers Britain will fit in? Preferably hold everything else too so I only have to carry 1 bag.

honk:
Nice list, anyone got any recommendations where I can find a map bag that Phillips truckers Britain will fit in? Preferably hold everything else too so I only have to carry 1 bag.

I get everything off ebay, lol! My map bag is a soft laptop bag just a bit wider than the Phillips atlas & it expands, but only about £12 and has enough pockets to fit sundry items in - they do have a couple of proper map bags there, or suitcase/bag shop sort of places do them, for a price. I only know this cos I happened to see one in a market for £70 the other day :open_mouth:

I like to keep my stuff seperate so I can dive straight into the right bag for food, lest I starve between services & drops :wink: :laughing:

Evil8Beezle - :laughing: :laughing: love that!

honk:

1 large sport bag with bedding,
1 large sport bag with hygene staff,
second set of work trousers, t shirts
socks, underwear. Set of clean clothes
to go out for shopping etc.
1 large sports bag with unperishable food,
kettle, mug etc.
1 bag with lappy, chargers, satnav, pens,
notebooks etc.
+1 bag of food on mondays to top up the fridge!

That’s my gear! :open_mouth:

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve got a laptop bag lying around that the map fits into great, so no need to shell out for a bit.

I think the rolled up carpet a better idea than transparent body bag though, bit more discreet.

There is a full list here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90870&p=1305146#p1305146