King pin release bar securing device (dog clip / L-bar & cab

Last night I was issued one of our older trucks, when I went to hook up I noticed there was NO securing device (dog clip) for the kingpin release handle, nor was there a hole for one.

Knowing other drivers have been issued a warning for not applying the dog clip, I checked and was assured “it was safe” in hindsight I’m not really happy with this. Would I be justified in rejecting this truck during pre-shift checks on safety grounds if issued it again.

Note, we do use the bar & cable retention setup on most newer trucks but this truck had neither.

I always, go under with my torch to eyeball that the kingpin is home & locked. My worry is the release bar opening during transit due to bumps & vibration, there’s a disturbing amount of pot holes on our motorways

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Is the release handle spring locked, ie you have to push/pull the handle forward/backward, before you can pull it out?

I’ve always carried a spare dog clip with me for just this reason , as your W/ shop for one

You only need to use a clip if there’s one fitted, there’s no reason to refuse the truck due to safety as there’s absolutely no way it can vibrate out

The picture shows the L shaped bracket and a hole into which a dog clip can be fitted if desired.

If the spring which holds it locked is broken, missing, weak or the bracket is very stiff to move then the only place the vehcle is going is Solo to a workshop for rectification.

■■■■ this useless forum that’s take 35 minutes for it NOT to upload the ■■■■■■■ picture.
Go ■■■■ yourselves whatever media group you call yourselves . You’re a bunch of Krauts anyway

The one that makes no sense to me are why some fifth wheels have dog clips fitted , some don’t , I mean in the sense 50 % of the new daf xg had dog clips fitted , 50% didn’t that arrived at my old place but it was brought up by cpc bloke & he said if there is a dog clip fitted you must use it ( lots wernt fitting them as getting lathered up in oil reaching up under to fit them ) , if one isn’t fitted not a issue
I remember this years ago , 4 new man,s came in , 3 with dog clips , mine without , phone call to man said I didn’t need one , so why fit the other 3 ?
That’s why I always carry one , and fit it