Kindles top tip for Volvo drivers loading/unloading

When you are about to tip/load, grab your suspension control down beside your seat, turn your ignition on, underneath the stop button are 2 buttons side by side, press the button on the left, an orange light will come on, then you can turn your ignition off, or take your keys out and hand them in to goods in etc. When you have finished loading/unloading, hey presto, your suspension is at the normal level, and not (in the case of unloading) 2 foot higher than it should be, and (in the case of loading) your mudguard tops arent nearly being popped off by your tyres. you can also press the midlift raise button to lift with the ignition off as long as the orange light is on.
When you jump back into the cab, just press the button on the right side and the orange light will go out, and that, boys and girls is how its done!
Simples!! :wink:

I would be interested to know how many people know this, as out of all the Volvo drivers ive told (around a dozen-ish) only 1 person knew.

You have too much time on your hands if you can sit and read the manual :laughing: I did know but never really needed it on a tanker as you need all the height you can get.

I think an MAN does the same

I think this works on all ECAS (Electronically Controlled Air Suspension) lorries, a bloke from Scania HQ showed me how it works in 2001, I was impressed, I’ve used it a few times, as you say it saves your wing tops from getting mangled, but never had it on a Volvo, the Volvos I’ve had used a dirty great big box with up/ride/down controls & that’s it.

newmercman:
I think this works on all ECAS (Electronically Controlled Air Suspension) lorries

On recent DAFs (maybe 05 plate and newer) pressing the “stop” button on your hand control unit within a few seconds of switching the ignition off has the same effect. I don’t know if that works on other stuff as well.

Paul

interesting since most of the control panel are or look the same does it work for all, i drive a scanny and never really played about with the suspension only raising and lowering while picking up trailers and levelling off the trailer for travel, ive never come across the orange light though, i think mkine has the m1,m2 button also i no they position the suspension but does anyonw actually no what there for ive never used them either.

the M1 and M2 buttons are memory settings that can be set by the driver, unliken the normal ride height setting, to set it, us ethe up/down arrow keys to set the desired ride height, then press and hold the M1 or M2 button, and then press the stop button whilst still holding the M button, this will programme that button to go to the ride height you have just set :wink:

newmercman:
I think this works on all ECAS (Electronically Controlled Air Suspension) lorries, a bloke from Scania HQ showed me how it works in 2001, I was impressed, I’ve used it a few times, as you say it saves your wing tops from getting mangled, but never had it on a Volvo, the Volvos I’ve had used a dirty great big box with up/ride/down controls & that’s it.

On one of the Volvos I had, it had a magnetic white box like that, up, down or trapped in the door :stuck_out_tongue:

Carl, you really have to much time on your hands. I think you need to be a bit busier. You will be telling us next how to adjust the seat. :unamused: :unamused:

repton:

newmercman:
I think this works on all ECAS (Electronically Controlled Air Suspension) lorries

On recent DAFs (maybe 05 plate and newer) pressing the “stop” button on your hand control unit within a few seconds of switching the ignition off has the same effect. I don’t know if that works on other stuff as well.

I also think most new lorries with ECAS-system are capable to do that. At least some 4-series Scannies (and I’d think also R-series :slight_smile:) and newish Volvo’s are capable to do this when you press “stop”-button like repton wrote. I knew this kindle’s trick with Volvo and in fact it was quite the first thing I learned. It helps quite much with roller cages when lorry stays even so cages don’t start wandering by themselves :sunglasses: