KG's Cat CE training diary

So I started CE training today and it’s my first time back in a truck since passing Cat C back in April.
I’m driving an Iveco W+D with a slapover box which is a bit of a change from the 4 over 4 I used before however I’m finding it easier to adjust to compared to my first day on C.
I started the day with a few laps of the yard to get the feel of the truck then straight into reverse practice. I’ve reversed trailers before and I found it easy enough, we’ll do some every day so should be fine on test.
After some test routes I did the couple/uncouple and again it seems easy enough, so feeling very confident for the rest of the week.

I’m training with 1st Castle in Chichester 1 to 1, hopefully I’ll be able to recommend them to the forum by Friday! They are associated with Crawley truck and bus who are already listed.

That’s Malc, isn’t it?

That’s right.

Not much to add today, some more reversing and coupling practice then out on the road getting to know the area and learning some of the trouble spots.

Sounds like you got a good handle on your C+E training. :slight_smile:

Good Luck with the test matey!

LJ.

Thanks! Just one more day to go then test on Friday, I won’t get much of a drive as the test is at 8.45 and I’m meeting my instructor near the test centre.
I need to keep full concentration as I’ve dragged the trailer up the kerb twice so far, once yesterday and again today, it looked like I wasn’t the first to do it as the grass verge was a mess, at least my wheels only took the kerb.
I’ve had a few struggles with the gearbox I find it difficult to get into second sometimes and can end up trying to force it in, but generally the gears are getting better.
On reflection I think I prefer a switch range change to the slapover but it’s good to get experience with both types.

So the last day of training done, meeting my instructor at 7am (so up at 5) for a warm up before the test. I know I can do everything it’s just if I make a daft mistake it’ll be all over. Nerves have never been an issue for me but I know some people suffer terribly, I shall go in feeling positive and knowing there are 2 possible outcomes and they don’t shoot you if you fail.

Best of luck for tomorrow.

Woo hoo! Passed with 5 minors

Fantastic. Well Done.

Thanks! Just got get myself some work now.

What you doing for C work at the moment?

Agency? - Do they any CE clients that’ll take on a ‘newbie’?

Full Time? - Do they run WnD / Artic?

At the moment I have work as a motorcycle instructor so I’m ok and can afford to be a little picky.
I have contacts of sorts at a couple of agencies and a few phone numbers for casual C work (skips).
Right now I’m just letting it sink in and am going to enjoy the long weekend off. I’ll draft a letter to a company not too far away who have been advertising for drivers.

Congratulations buddy, I passed today too :slight_smile:
Great feeling eh? You did better than me, I got 7 minors!!
Well done!!

Congrats all.

1968kg: reckon you’ve just passed on one of my ex-trucks. Prob 55 plate but Malc has had one or two from us.

Very well done, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I reckon you’re right Pete, It still has some Notts writing on the side!

congratulations on the pass matey