kepstowe freight

this is for harry monk so lets have some stories harry and some pics if you have any mate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers for taking the time to post that up Dreva.

Would be good to see harrys or anybody elses pics and hear the tales from trips to Russia or any points East!!. :wink:

harry must have some pics or he will know someone who has :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i remember reading that when it first came out, great stuff, come on harry, get something up!!

I’ve got plenty of pics but no scanner at the mo :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I started a couple of years after this article came out and I was told they never did another magazine article because they were inundated with so many phone calls from drivers looking for a job afterwards that it got in the way of the work.

Russia was very difficult work, especially in the winter but Kepstowe were a fantastic firm to work for and it was by far the best paying job I ever had. I did have a lot of good times in Russia but we still do a couple of trips a year there and I never put my hand up when they are being touted around…

I first met Mick when he worked for ProMotors in the eighties.
I thought I recognised him on my first trip to moscow, as a Kepstowe subbie through Alan Johnson of Braintree. Mick was the Moscow shunter who loaded most of the trailers with backloads for the UK. this helped with a quick turnround allowing us to do two trips a month.
One contract was to supply Aeromar with a fridge load every week to the airport. One subbie Alan Bremner done twenty five trips there one year. They had up to seventy five trailers on hire at anyone time. I will try to look out some photo’s and post them on here . Regards Jamie

A Scot lost in the Valley’s

Onl[y been a couple of times due to go again in feb 2009

Carrot:

Harry, isnt that two of your black volvosâ– â– ?..third from left (in foreground) and the fourth in from the right??

you were right harry it was worth a thread of its own :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

bullitt:
Harry, isnt that two of your black volvosâ– â– ?..third from left (in foreground) and the fourth in from the right??

10/10 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:.

I don’t know where the stadium photo was taken… the other photo was taken in St Petersburg, I recognise the building, it’s the Imperial Palace or somesuch… I imagine both photos were taken on the Madonna tour last year?

I remember Mickey Twemlow’s Daf 95 too, I ran back with Mick from Moscow towards the Finnish border at Vaalimaa in late December 1994, heading for the ferry at Turku for the last boat back to England. He was heading back for Christmas on his once-a-year visit, I was turning round in Finland and then going back to Moscow (I spent Christmas Eve 1994 in a petrol station in Novgorod).

Mick’s truck wouldn’t start the next morning- it was minus 40 and the coldest month in Russia for 100 years- and we had no jump leads so we got my F12 running, then took the batteries off and started the Daf with them,then took them off of the Daf and re-connected its flat batteries once it was running, then put the good batteries back on my truck…

I remember Jamie too, a very straight-up and quietly-spoken Scotsman, we were on several crossings together on the M.V Garden, which we used to take from Harwich on Friday evening.

Harry Monk:
I don’t know where the stadium photo was taken.

its behind (so to speak) the olympic stadium, by the river, we were there with metallica the other year and parked there