Kepstowe Freight Services

Just found this on the net, this must have been before my time, I don’t remember any wag & drags…

Anybody know what Alan Johnson is doing he used to sub for Kepstowe

jastrebsi59:
Anybody know what Alan Johnson is doing he used to sub for Kepstowe

still running his DAF with crane loader out of Borassic Park - bloody good bloke Alan, done an awful lot but would never spout about it and always a pleasure to chat with; www.asjtransport.com :slight_smile:

Harry Monk:
Just found this on the net, this must have been before my time, I don’t remember any wag & drags…

Did Hoggsped buy that one?

Spooky! I was showing Mr Johnson this thread the other night. I’ve been working alongside him on one of his jobs, moving “stuff” onto the Olympic site. I’ve been twisting his arm to post a few bits on here too. You never know! :sunglasses:

Wheel Nut:

I don’t know, but can probably find out.

As for AJ, as the others have said.

Have found a few ex-KFS drivers on Facebook and am trying to get more pics from them.

Wheel Nut:

Just spoke to Peter who used to drive it and yes, Hoggsped did buy it.

Goaty please give my regards to Alan Johnson I got to know him reasonably well, a real nice bloke, but I haven’t seen him for years and not likely to now. I’m retired and just do the odd day runs to keep out of mischief!!
Gavin

Will do Gavin, we’re stood down til friday. I think they need to do a risk assesment to tie their laces or some such :unamused:

Bumped up for Vodkacolacowboy! Robert

robert1952:
Bumped up for Vodkacolacowboy! Robert

Thanks Robert. :smiley:

As requested, some photos taken during the four years I worked for Kepstowe Freight Services. I’ll start with some photos of some trucks, but there won’t be many of these as I don’t really like them and have always seen them simply as a means to an end, namely to indulge my lifelong love of travel, particularly foreign travel, and getting paid for it rather than the other way round.

Having shipped Harwich-Turku and crossed the Finnish-Russian border at Vaalimaa, we’ve stopped for a full English breakfast between St Petersburg and Moscow. Nowhere to buy one of course, we used to live largely out of our trailer boxes, just as the much maligned eastern Europeans do now.

Below, the border between Poland and Belarus, at Bobrowniki. I’ve been here for two days but once that gate opens, I’m in!

Another border photo, this time betwen Ukraine and Belarus. I used to love taking photos at the border simply because it was so scarily illegal in the days before cameras were built into everything.

My first Ukrainian visa.

Now, just some general road photos…

Below, Kenny Ward’s Scania which I drove for a while after he broke his Achilles tendon. Here, I’m tipping in Moscow, at an underground nuclear shelter.

Getting nicked in Minsk, Belarus, my girlfriend took this photo, highly illegally of course! I used to get this several times a day, every day of the week…

A Russian MSA…

A word from the wise. Don’t brake too heavily at 56mph on a wet road…

Posing in Red Square, Moscow. You didn’t really think I looked like that, did you? :wink:

If anyone else has got any photos from the day, I’d love to see them!

Hi Harry

Nice photos and that brought back a few memories. I like the hammer and sickle photo as the words i find ironic with the police in russia ,ukraine and beyond. Im not sure the excact translation but after the police used to fine you they would say Shasleevo putee. I think it means good luck on your way or on your travels. At least they wished you well after emptying your pockets :laughing:

colin.f.whitetrans:
Hi Harry

Nice photos and that brought back a few memories. I like the hammer and sickle photo as the words i find ironic with the police in russia ,ukraine and beyond. Im not sure the excact translation but after the police used to fine you they would say Shasleevo putee. I think it means good luck on your way or on your travels. At least they wished you well after emptying your pockets :laughing:

The sign was (it disappeared in 1996) the first thing that greeted you after the Bobrowniki border and translates as “Enjoy your journey”. I normally did, although I was way hopelessly of my depth, I think we all were at the time…

I always found GAI officers to be very friendly, it seemed too be in their job description that they had to fine me, but we normally had chai and a chat afterwards, once past Moscow I was quite often the first Westener they had ever met so they usually wanted to talk about life in England generally and talk about their families, I have even been taken home by Police and Customs officers to do a bottle of vodka at the kitchen table with their friends and family.

As time went on, things changed and they all got more money orientated, a packet of Marlboro wasn’t enough, and although we still go to Russia I personally won’t go there any more because the naive charm isn’t there any more, on either side :wink:

Enjoy your journey! Thanks for that, i knew it was something along those lines. Yeah you are right about the police being friendly enough in most cases and more so the further east you travelled. I was in over my head from the start as i had no truck experience before going to russia but was ok for the 1st trip and a half as i travelled double man with the father in law and he kept me in check. After that it was all learn as you go :slight_smile:

Do you know/remember/used to work with Dave Saddler??

great pics h got any more mate cheers for posting them :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mr 141:
Do you know/remember/used to work with Dave Saddler??

Not personally, but another of our drivers worked for Kepstowe and he remembers him, said he worked for Ted running out of Borassic Park at Braintree? Said he was a decent fella.

Hi Harry

Do you remember one of kepstowes being stuck in kazak on the desert road at Irgis in 1997 but not sure which month?. It was after the winter and i waited two days to head south at a police post on the sauce with the police and many other drivers from all over the former russian states.I cant remember if he was a subbie or if he was a kepstowe full timer. The problem was the snow had melted and there was no tarmac for 100km or so and we had to wait on the road drying out. As i got near the driver i couldnt stop as i was getting towed by a kamaz and had been for at least an hour.

This was the road on better days and sometimes it was better to try the tracks at the side of the road :slight_smile:

I do indeed, that was Steve, he works for Fleetwood alongside me now.