kent transport

The Husk has got a bit of a lean on hasn’t it?

cav551:
The Husk has got a bit of a lean on hasn’t it?

Yes! I’ve noticed that a lot of the shots of lorries leaving Dover docks and joining Jubilee Way during the '70s / '80s seem to have a good lean on (see the Kentish example below!). I drove this route countless times and my theory is that drivers leaving the port were enjoying a sense of ‘de-mob’ happiness at finally having got back to Blighty and at the same time recognising the need, in those days of less grunt, to get up as much speed as possible before hitting that steep left-hand curve that sent you into the long climb up the cliffs. Robert

volvo-f89-42-6x6-06.jpg

doc013.png

robert1952:

Harry Monk:

robert1952:
A few more on there today, too. Robert

I used to drive that very truck, seen here after a repaint.

Was that when they’d moved to Dargate (farm just up the road from The Dove pub)? Robert

No, I started there just after they had moved out of the farm to the yard next to the Thanet Way.

g58.jpg
n58.jpg
tr58.jpg

6758.jpg

32534295472_b937507d05_b.jpg

k58.jpg

Found a couple more Francis Davies pics on the web. I did occasionally drive the Merc 2033 and that trailer in the first picture - it might even be me at the wheel for all I know! The Volvo in the second pic was driven by ‘Lofty’ - it was the only non-Merc in the fleet at that time. Robert

y58.jpg
58.jpg

A couple more: LASH of Norton, and Coolchain of Teynham. Robert

8u7yt58.jpg
x_58.jpg

robert1952:

I had a V reg bison in the 80s when I worked for Aylwards. It was run by the daughter at that time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I worked for G L Baker Faversham from 1970 to 1973 in 1970 I had a Big J Guy Ridged there were many Guys being added at this time …BOC took over in late 1972 if I remember right ,Butch the no neck yard foreman made us paint the Red Bumpers & Wheels all Blue BOC’s colours

nicked from the Paul Gee thread… Robert

AC13.JPG

ERF-NGC-European:

Fantastic… Normans old lorry. Non sleeper cabbed unit. I had to wait for mine to come home but when it did it had a sleeper cab. Norman and I did many miles running together. Both had the RR220 engine. Bloody useless but we were never in a hurry.

Great pic.

sandway:

ERF-NGC-European:

Fantastic… Normans old lorry. Non sleeper cabbed unit. I had to wait for mine to come home but when it did it had a sleeper cab. Norman and I did many miles running together. Both had the RR220 engine. Bloody useless but we were never in a hurry.

Great pic.

I remember them well! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

sandway:

ERF-NGC-European:

Great pic.

I remember them well! Robert

The picture may have been taken outside 101/102 berths at Southampton Docks. We did a lot of Cape fruit for T J Poupart from there. I said we were never in a hurry. Norman and I did a lot of work to Evesham with Bramley processing apples. Everyone else got up and back in a day. We only got back to Chris’s Cafe at Stokenchurch were we had digs for the night.

A few good Kent photos on e-bay tonight-

A&RJ Wood Mercedes one of the first batch of new generations PKR…R
EH NIcholls ERF B249UKM
The MAN pulling the Lenham Storage trailer was one of 6 that Fraikin put into Sheerness Cold Store in Sheerness Docks when they were new.
Full frontal Tomkinsons Merc Actros P758LKL
Another full frontal - Daniel Ashby MAN J683FGF
European Merc RX04RHE
Another full frontal - Inter-City Trucks Scania P27JKR
And finally Reed Paper Mills Scania FKP340V

BN0013.JPG