Kent police release video of accident

Carryfast:
More like too many ‘drivers’ of all types of nationality out there who can’t drive when it comes to reading the road well ahead and acting early on the information.

+1

Carryfast:

eddie snax:
gawping to see if it was any of his johny foreigner buddies in that layby no doubts :unamused:

Bearing in mind it all started to go wrong from around 0.20-0.18 on the video doubtful.More like too many ‘drivers’ of all types of nationality out there who can’t drive when it comes to reading the road well ahead and acting early on the information.Things like auto boxes and cruise control won’t fix that.

Just out interest, have you ever used a truck fitted with either Cruise control, or an Automated shift gearbox, because I fail to see a connection between either of those systems built into most modern trucks, and paying attention.

I have both in my present truck, and I have failed to run into anything what so ever.

In fact I’ve not had a truck without Cruise control since 2001, and all though I was quite resistant to automated boxes, I’ve now had 3 pedal opticruise’s since 2010, and a 2 pedal opticruise since last November. Before you brand me as some know nothing who couldn’t handle a proper Eaton or Fuller box, I had the good fortune to use an Eaton TS for 18 months back in the 90’s, and yes it was the best manual gear box I ever used, but the world has moved on. This 2 pedal opticruise is very pleasing to use, and I’ve yet to meet any driver who has used the I shift that has a bad word to say about it, I understand the Arsetronic leaves a lot to be desired (juddian has passed coment before on that) , but from where I sit the Swedes have got it sorted.

Instead of clipping the quote to fit your purpose, try using it all, I said “I bet it was longer than the split second he claims,” that is a turn of phrase, use to aknowledge that I disbelieve his claim, and that I like you, think he was in la la land for a longer than that :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

eddie snax:
As for the trucker bloody hell again, its quite clear he wasn’t concentrating, and I bet it was longer than the split second he claims, gawping to see if it was any of his johny foreigner buddies in that layby no doubts :unamused:

eddie snax:

Carryfast:
Bearing in mind it all started to go wrong from around 0.20-0.18 on the video doubtful.More like too many ‘drivers’ of all types of nationality out there who can’t drive when it comes to reading the road well ahead and acting early on the information.Things like auto boxes and cruise control won’t fix that.

Just out interest, have you ever used a truck fitted with either Cruise control, or an Automated shift gearbox, because I fail to see a connection between either of those systems built into most modern trucks, and paying attention.

I have both in my present truck, and I have failed to run into anything what so ever.

In fact I’ve not had a truck without Cruise control since 2001, and all though I was quite resistant to automated boxes, I’ve now had 3 pedal opticruise’s since 2010, and a 2 pedal opticruise since last November. Before you brand me as some know nothing who couldn’t handle a proper Eaton or Fuller box, I had the good fortune to use an Eaton TS for 18 months back in the 90’s, and yes it was the best manual gear box I ever used, but the world has moved on. This 2 pedal opticruise is very pleasing to use, and I’ve yet to meet any driver who has used the I shift that has a bad word to say about it, I understand the Arsetronic leaves a lot to be desired (juddian has passed coment before on that) , but from where I sit the Swedes have got it sorted.

Instead of clipping the quote to fit your purpose, try using it all, I said “I bet it was longer than the split second he claims,” that is a turn of phrase, use to aknowledge that I disbelieve his claim, and that I like you, think he was in la la land for a longer than that :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

eddie snax:
As for the trucker bloody hell again, its quite clear he wasn’t concentrating, and I bet it was longer than the split second he claims, gawping to see if it was any of his johny foreigner buddies in that layby no doubts :unamused:

The fact that it all went wrong long before reaching the parked trucks obviously counts out anything to do with the layby. :confused:

As for auto boxes I was specifically referring to the fact that at around the .20 mark on the video, given a proper constant mesh box,by necessity,a driver would at least be more likely to instinctively be going for the brakes to get the speed down ready for a downshift in the slowing/stopping process.As for cruise control that’s just another pointless removal of driver input that could foreseeably result in a truck running at the wrong speed for the numerous types of ongoing fast developing hazards on the road. :bulb:

Carryfast:
[As for auto boxes I was specifically referring to the fact that at around the .20 mark on the video, given a proper constant mesh box,by necessity,a driver would at least be more likely to instinctively be going for the brakes to get the speed down ready for a downshift in the slowing/stopping process.:

For instinct to happen there has to be some awareness, judging by the video he has no aware of the up coming standing traffic, otherwise instinct would have told him to do something to stop, Constant mesh, syncro or auto gearbox, it matters not as he was clearly unaware of the situation, for whatever reason :unamused:

Carryfast:
.As for cruise control that’s just another pointless removal of driver input that could foreseeably result in a truck running at the wrong speed for the numerous types of ongoing fast developing hazards on the road. :bulb:

If he had been aware of what was developing in front of him then, and by dint of that been taking actions to slow his vehicle, then in that process the cruise control would cancel out, so would not be a factor, you can be sure that if the cruise control hadn’t cancelled out, then that would have been used as mitigation in the drivers defence, as it was not mentioned, we must assume that either it worked as designed or wasn’t being used.

So why has it not been out lawed, if it is as you suggest a dangerous piece of equipment then the authorities would have banned the fitment. The truth is that the Cruise Control like any other driver aid is only as dangerous as the driver using it, if a driver is fully aware of what is going on then he will adjust his driving accordingly, if not then it matters not whether he has auto gearbox cruise control or frilly curtains, he’s heading for problems

eddie snax:
Just out interest, have you ever used a truck fitted with either Cruise control, or an Automated shift gearbox, .

In your reasonably concise response, you didn’t enlighten me as to the answer to this question :question:

eddie snax:

eddie snax:
Just out interest, have you ever used a truck fitted with either Cruise control, or an Automated shift gearbox, .

In your reasonably concise response, you didn’t enlighten me as to the answer to this question :question:

No I’ve never driven a truck with cruise control and have never used it on any of the cars I’ve had fitted with it.While having removed it together with converting to manual from auto more than one car I’ve had including at present.

But yes I’d agree that the main issue in this case was failing to at least start braking from around .20 on the video whether it was under the control of cruise control at the time and regardless of transmission type.

Carryfast:

eddie snax:

eddie snax:

No I’ve never driven a truck with cruise control and have never used it on any of the cars I’ve had fitted with it.While having removed it together with converting to manual from auto more than one car I’ve had including at present.

But yes I’d agree that the main issue in this case was failing to at least start braking from around .20 on the video whether it was under the control of cruise control at the time and regardless of transmission type.

HARMONY :smiley:

I do night trunking and refuse too use c/c , as I’ve said before if you’ve got c/c on and doze off you keep going ,

I don’t like pulling up in my car too close to an artic in front of me. I dread being hit from behind with nowhere to go. I’ve no intention of being the meat in a Sandwich, ending up in a wooden overcoat. :frowning:

It’s amazing the guy survived that… The impact alone would be enough to kill most people I reckon. :open_mouth:

I’ll be checking my mirrors as I come to a stop at the end of a line of traffic with a truck in front… If there’s one coming up behind - I’ll try and swerve out of the sandwich before it’s too late.

In this 2012 vid, everyone in the car died. :frowning:

Bloody hell, where was that ?

dozy:
I do night trunking and refuse too use c/c , as I’ve said before if you’ve got c/c on and doze off you keep going ,

I don’t understand all this refusal to use the equipment provided at the appropriate time. Mate if you doze off at 56 mph without CC, how far do you think you’ll travel before you come to a stop, far enough to do a lot off damage is the answer :open_mouth: . Also why assume that your right foot will lift if you doze off at 56mph with your foot planted to the pedal :unamused: :unamused: , I don’t know about you, but the resistance on my right pedal is minimal, I don’t think its enough to raise a dozing foot :unamused: The answer, is not to refuse to use the equipment provided, but to make sure you are fit to do your job, and be prepared to tell your traffic desk to do one, if you fancy a power nap or to pull into a garage for a coffee, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Winseer:
I don’t like pulling up in my car too close to an artic in front of me. I dread being hit from behind with nowhere to go. I’ve no intention of being the meat in a Sandwich, ending up in a wooden overcoat. :frowning:

It’s amazing the guy survived that… The impact alone would be enough to kill most people I reckon. :open_mouth:

I’ll be checking my mirrors as I come to a stop at the end of a line of traffic with a truck in front… If there’s one coming up behind - I’ll try and swerve out of the sandwich before it’s too late.

Dead right :wink:

I think its a good policy what ever you are driving :wink: ,

I’m sure I’m not the only trucker who feels “vulnerable” when in their own car…

Winseer:

+1. I try and move to the outside lane in slow traffic to avoid the situation completely.

Winseer:

You’re not. But sadly we’re all to aware because we see videos like this one because of the nature of this site.
What’s needed is for non truck driving car drivers to come here and witness some of the stuff we see. That might finally change their attitude towards heavies.

Part of that “Vulnerability” is this apparent “lowering of driving standards” that has become all too apparent - especially among our own number. :frowning:

It’s not just that we see car drivers and cyclists acting like idiots. There isn’t a day that goes by when I don’t pass another artic driver on his bloody phone, or swerving around because they’ve got the nodding dog which is almost as bad if it involves taking a full time job of shifts 12+ hours in length all week long. :open_mouth:

Very much so, to the extent that in poor visibility weather I will avoid the motorway if possible. I am happy overtaking one lorry, but two or three in a group will always see me checking to see if they are lhd and moving over to lane three to pass, or if not possible hanging back in mirror view until I can get by quickly. A distant queue always scares me, so apart from the hazards it is dab the brakes to make the stop lights flash and slow well down in advance, watching like a hawk to see that what is behind is slowing down too and finally leaving a gap big enough to drive forward closer when I’ve got three or four others behind me.

With work currently quiet this week we went to Langdon Cliff yesterday afternoon to watch from above the giant kiddies’ playset that is Dover Port, with the toy boats steaming across all the way to a very visible Calais. Driving home at 5pm rush hour into the evening sun with mad car drivers doing 85 and a shuttle having just disgorged a trainload of foreign lorries, trunk-holding-tail, was not a nice experience.

cav551:
With work currently quiet this week we went to Langdon Cliff yesterday afternoon to watch from above the giant kiddies’ playset that is Dover Port, with the toy boats steaming across all the way to a very visible Calais. Driving home at 5pm rush hour into the evening sun with mad car drivers doing 85 and a shuttle having just disgorged a trainload of foreign lorries, trunk-holding-tail, was not a nice experience.

I think I would have been tempted to have found a Pub for an early evening meal, and head home a couple of hours later :wink:

eddie snax:

cav551:

I think I would have been tempted to have found a Pub for an early evening meal, and head home a couple of hours later :wink:

■■■■■■ as a ■■■■ = much more relaxed about the other drivers. :wink:

OVLOV JAY:

Winseer:

+1. I try and move to the outside lane in slow traffic to avoid the situation completely.

What about use that drive trucks by day/night and then bikes. You think you see ■■■■ in a truck, imagine what we see when we are next invisible to 90% of road users

dozy:

If there’s even the slightest chance of dozing…what the ■■■■ are you doing night work for??