Kent foods

So which is the best deal out of 3663, Brakes and Kent Foods?

All sound like low paid max hours hard work jobs. Not got a problem with hard work if the pay is OK. Seems most foodservice companies pay minimum wage for max hours hauling 1.5 tonne pallets over kerbs and then have to put the contents of the pallet in to the customers freezer or ambient store.

bigfoot:
Thanks for your replies

The thing is im 24 and im thinking that the experiance using a tanker could be invaluable at my age although i may be wrong.
As far as im aware they are out monday to friday. I’ve been asked to pop into a branch mid week to have a look but by the sounds of your experiances, its not going to be great so i wont get my hopes up.

Thanks

Give it a go fella. i have no knowledge of the company, but at your age any experience is good experience.

If the company is like what folk say, then your next company will be a right result.

The bottom line, as long as they pay on time and in full give it a go.

I work for folk, that according to this and other sites are complete ring pieces. But I have no aggro, and enjoy working for them.

The job is what you personally make of it to be fair.

Ched:

All sound like low paid max hours hard work jobs. Not got a problem with hard work if the pay is OK. Seems most foodservice companies pay minimum wage for max hours hauling 1.5 tonne pallets over kerbs and then have to put the contents of the pallet in to the customers freezer or ambient store.

Putting into customers premises is the norm on food services. You can’t leave stuff in the open really, can you?
Ignore the companies above, go for Fresh Direct instead.

thats a good point ironstipper this can be a site that is used too settle scores etc i have told him to give it a try , i went up to depot with him yesterday afternoon and from i could see they were 60 plate premiums albeit most in yard were class 2 ,they looked tidy enough to me and i asked him about weekends he said they want you back on fridays as warehouse will not open at weekends as only 3 staff and not one inc manager will work them ,maybe things have improved ,only prob is its monthly so he will have to give it a crack ,as for going north and the reloading from there depots and keeping that way till you run in again i think that is quite savvy as when i worked on reefers out of tilbury thats what i done , and the north mob who run south done similar surely thats good planning economically, also done similar when i worked for the classiest outfit on road warton freight northern :slight_smile: he said they will max you out then rotor you in to rest days !!! so must be hell of alot of driving as the only time iever maxed out in 4 years was when i run grimsby up and half down every day for 2 months .

It’s quite easy to max out duty hours on food when you factor in handballing. Ask anyone who’s worked for Bidvest…

Muckaway:

Ched:

Putting into customers premises is the norm on food services. You can’t leave stuff in the open really, can you?

Is everybody talking about Kent Foods or Kent Frozen Foods? Are they both the same company? Have they dropped the ‘frozen’ bit from their name? KFF (I think) used to be owned by Brakes many years ago so is frozen multi drop work. Didn’t know there was a KFF depot in Witney unless they purchased Phillip Dennis, which I guess would be still be m/d frozen deliveries. The other lot, I’ve never heard of! Think it’s safe to say that KFF wouldn’t be running tankers…but what do I know :slight_smile: ? As for maxing out hours, I never managed to come remotely close, unless of course you’re either a; ■■■■■■■ slow and can’t cut the job and cant tell a bag of peas from a tin of beans or b; crap at map reading and stop every 10 minutes looking or c; unsure of the 15hr day :wink: I know Brakes/3663/Bidvest pay class 2 about 26-30k, (less than us fools who just do a bit of night trunking :sunglasses: :smiley: ) depending on depot. Some pay bonus’s and some don’t. My old place paid £5/day ‘retainer’ to stop us all trying for Asda when it opened…pretty much what has happened now with the Tesco opening but obviously that 5’er has gone up over the years!! :smiley:

KFF are around Witney but Phillip Dennis are still independant. They still operate out of the old grain store at Ducklington Mill.

the firm im enquiring about are not frozen its sugars oils and powders depots chelmsford leeds bristol glasgow

well he went in this morning just heard from him he done a leeds return in a 62 plate renault privelege 5 am start back in yard for 3 never heard a peep from any one and tommorrow he has been given run to wissinton then to heanor then back to newark all via atxt message !!!

Muckaway:

I worked for them for 12 Months as a Class 1 driver. I did 2 days Artic up to Scotland, from Wigan and then 7.5 Tonne multi drop on the other two days. It was ok but we lost a few contracts for the Artic. I ended up doing Class 2 and 7.5T multi drop more and more. Then I hurt my back in a car accident, so I left as I couldn’t handball it all off any more.
I didn’t mind multi drop a few times a week but when it was getting more and more I hated it. Up and down stairs, handballing pallets worth of fruit and veg and potatoes for lazy chefs and bone idle kitchen porters. ■■■■ that! Oh, and the little Isuzu’s they used were horrible little things.

I was lucky I never got to drive the Isuzus but others had aired their views. Quite a few of FDs drivers’ mates are ex Bidvest; Biddies’ laid them off deeming them not needed apparently. I find they make the job so much easier, bit you’re righ; Restaurants can be so badly designed in terms of access to the kitchens, and yes some kitchen staff seem to think you’ll cook the food for them.

hes done a full week said it was easy !!!

topmixer11:

Did he get any freebies■■?
:laughing:

The joys of foodservice delivery?!

The company I work for deliver to takeaway outlets. As said before the shops often have poor delivery access and sometimes it can be a bt of a trek from where you can park to the door. Some customers are complete Roger Hunts but the good ones who also sometimes offer free food outweigh them (just got back from handballing 3.5 tonnes from one shop in Skegness but free drinks and sausage and chips always make it a bit better!)
However if you want to be home every night with pretty much guaranteed hours then it’s a pretty good job. Plus there’s a bonus scheme for the amount of cash you collect.
You’ve just got to be up for a bit of lifting. I don’t drive every day and I’ve still lost a stone and a half since September when I came off tramping.

Muckaway:

topmixer11:

Did he get any freebies■■?
:laughing:

class 1 kent foods not kent frozen not related ,he went leeds scotland leeds chelmsford never even got a phone call just a txt telling him where to go and whether to collect empties after delivery

2weeks still there

im delivering to the leeds depot on monday.

3rd week still there im just going for beer with him as he was back in this morning at 9am and finished ,once they hit 60 hours thats it for week he says easiest job hes ever done and as yet does not even know planners name , there must be some right whingers out there !!! also they are looking for class 2 driver

Maybe they’ve got rid of some ■■■■■■■■■■

update driver now has 3 days off paid to recoup some hours as he is on 26 week reference period 48 hour working week , not bad only started on 23rd march hes doing around 58 a week