Kent and STACK - again

This is from “Road Transport” today, this has run for years and no doubt it continue.

Kent County Council (KCC) has outlined its hopes for improvements to the county’s infrastructure as well as the creation of additional truck parking and the introduction of a vignette.

In a consultation document called the Kent Regeneration Framework, the council says there needs to be investment in strategic routes across the county, such as
another Dartford Crossing and improvements to the M20 and the M2/A2 corridor.

However it also highlights other solutions it would like to explore. These include a ‘stack’ parking area to remove the need for Operation Stack on the M20 when the Port of Dover or the Channel Tunnel is closed, extra regular lorry parks and the introduction of a vignette.

A KCC spokesman says the council raised the idea of a vignette several years ago. "It would allow us to charge all lorries for using Kent’s roads, but British-registered trucks would be able to claim a rebate.

“The money raised, which we think would be in the region of £40m a year, would be used for transport improvements and could be put towards a new Dartford Crossing.”

He adds that Operation Stack is a real “pain in the
neck” for residents and businesses in Kent and there needs to be provision to remove trucks from the road when the port or the tunnel is closed. We also feel there is a strong case for another three or four lorry parks in Kent."

One thing is for certain - we will end up paying as usual.

I some how do not think that,
thier idea will be warmly wellcomed
in the EU ; and will be contested,
very strongly

I tend to agree with Pete here, I mean, heaven forbid that the British government would actually sanction something that would work to the detriment of our foreign cousins in any way!

No, I’m sure Commisar Brown would be interested in the vignette system if it could be used on say, British trucks only in Kent. In fact why stop at Kent? We all know the industry’s awash with money so surely this could be extended throughout the UK. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

It’s a nice idea, but KCC will need laws behind them to be able to do it, and the Govt. won’t do that.

brados:
A KCC spokesman says the council raised the idea of a vignette several years ago. "It would allow us to charge all lorries for using Kent’s roads, but British-registered trucks would be able to claim a rebate.

This won’t work, IMHO.

brados:
“The money raised, which we think would be in the region of £40m a year, would be used for transport improvements and could be put towards a new Dartford Crossing.”

Dartford bridge cot about £150mil, IIRW, back in late 80’s. Now we want bigger bridge, it’ll be 30yrs later, annual inflation say 3%… So we’re looking at collecting £300mil-ish… This way you’d hardly ever have collected enough money for new Dartford.
What do we road tax for? Why this money do not go towards road improvements?

But I say yes to more lorry parks, more MSA’s along M2, M20, yes, yes, please…

However, IMHO, the best use of money would be alternative solutions.
Ferry services from Thames left bank (Tilbury, Thames Haven, Southend…),
motorway or dual carriage way M1-Luton-Stansted-A120-A130,
ferry across the estuary would be good temporary solution while the new bridge is built (with good road to take you to M2/M20),
tunnel shuttle from a terminal deeper inland to ease off the M20,
train service for trailers, swap bodies, containers etc from somewhere north of London to somewhere in France or Germany…

So Stack is in operation again with thousands stranded, the reason, cold weather outside and warm temperatures in the tunnel.

Hang on though, the tunnel opened in 1994 and there have been at least 14 winters since the Eurostar began service between London and Paris. The tunnel operator has blamed this for the reason as to the failure, where not one but 4 / 5, six now :open_mouth: trains broke down due to condensation :open_mouth:

You couldn’t make it up :stuck_out_tongue:

Went up the M20 past stack this lunchtime and it was just mile after mile
of trucks stranded… Surely they could get some burger vans, catering vans
drafted onto the motorway… ■■
Of course most drivers are pretty much self sufficient but not all.
We seem to put no effort into the Operation Stack at all… Yes of course
its a nightmare for everybody but there has to be a better way.
A20 on the way home was solid as well of course… Temepratures still
below freezing so how long is this all going to last. ■■
Neville.

brit pete:
I some how do not think that,
thier idea will be warmly wellcomed
in the EU ; and will be contested,
very strongly

If they call it an environmental tax it’ll get a green light all the way through. :laughing: