Keeping Yourself Entertained Whilst on the Road

Hi guys,

Just wondering if you had any tips for keeping yourself entertained on long jobs? Are there any particular books/ games/ tv programmes/ hobbies etc. that you enjoy that help with boredom?

Just to clarify, my question is in regards to longer jobs where you would need to park up for your rest period and how you would spend that time

Clean and sensible responses please :grimacing:

I take it you are not a driver and know nothing about driving. This is a professional drivers forum and just to put you in the picture drivers need to concentrate on the road ahead and would never contemplate playing games whilst driving.

The roads today are extremely busy and with a lot of clueless car drivers lorry drivers need to have their wits about them all the time.

You do realise however asking such a ridiculous question you will more than likely get some ridiculous answers and you deserve all you get. :laughing:

looks like the pot calling the kettle black there bud,however,ignoring that,and putting it into perspective…
xhamster and a packet of wet wipes will tend to while away those boring motorway journeys.
if your sitting on cruise with your lane departure warnings and all the other steering wheel attendant gear ectect then theres not much else to do and you have 2 eyes,one for the road,and one for whatever your watching or doing.
wearing a party hat at the start of your journey will save an complaints from the next driver to sit in your seat.
so long as you have a good phone/tablet with plenty of download ability then the worlds your lobster my son.
the same phone will also help you pass those lonely nights assuming you park in suitable laybys.
the takeaways will always deliver to a lonely truckie.

dieseldog999:
xhamster and a packet of wet wipes
the same phone will also help you pass those lonely nights assuming you park in suitable laybys.

Yes, it looks weird in services when your cab is rocking yet there’s no wind.

dieseldog999:
the takeaways will always deliver to a lonely truckie.

Well some will but they’ll charge between 10 and 20 extra :blush:

FreightlinkC:
Hi guys,

Just wondering if you had any tips for keeping yourself entertained on long jobs? Are there any particular books/ games/ tv programmes/ hobbies that you enjoy that help with boredom?

Thanks in advance!

Just humour our mate Jake’s usual patronising posts :unamused: , he looks upon himself as our resident ‘‘Trucknet Mentor’’ …and likes to think he is keeping us mere mortals right with his vast knowledge of advanced driving…(in his driving gloves and safari suit. :wink: :smiley: )

Anyhoo. :smiley: …I listen to talking books whilst driving it kinda eats the miles up, and wow! shock horror :open_mouth:… I still manage to concentrate quite successfully on my driving. :open_mouth: . :smiley:

Currentlly reading/listening to Battle Scars by Jason Fox the Special Forces guy off ‘SAS Who Dares Wins’ tv show.

I’ve watched numerous dvd box sets while waiting for ferrys, long tips, or during breakdowns (the mechanical type not the mental :laughing: ) etc, and when my kids used to come with me I used to connect the Play Station/X Box to my tv, but not really into it myself though tbh.
If anything decent on tv I’ll watch it.
Hobbies while away?
Apart from trying to see how many pubs I can visit in my carreer :laughing: …(Pint and a meal not a ■■■■ up obviously Jake) not much really, I follow a lot of football, a lot of lads visit gyms on nights out, not my thing though, but neither is sitting in a ■■■■ lay by all night, so a good walk if I feel like it (just made sure I spelt waLk correctlly :laughing: )
Job is how you make it, either a teararsing work/sleep combo endurance test, or a drudge, or a sensible paced form of enjoyment.

Long job… Hmmm…

I’ll let you know if I ever do one…

Ooh I tell a lie I once did a 12hr 15min shift, damned near killed me, but I managed to get through the last 2~3 hours of it by continually complaining (to myself) how the planner numpties had stitched me up and thinking up detailed and creative ways of how I’d get my own back on them (Which I knew would never happen but it whiled away the hours as I headed back to base).

I like to steer through as many white lines like a slalom,

thesun.co.uk/news/2438666/v … st-a-fine/

This driver found a way of keeping himself entertained, but it landed him in hot water!

There are only 8 hours in a working day, and by the time I’ve spent 30 minutes on pre-drive checks, 45 minutes on Break and 15 minutes “de-briefing” there’s barely enough time to drive to the delivery points and actually do the deliveries! Our lot won’t let us wait more than 20 minutes to get tipped anyway - they’ll usually tell us to pull out and reschedule it for another time. Don’t have huge amounts of time to waste during my Breaks - by the time I’ve eaten something, read the latest scandal sheet and done the on-line banking stuff to avoid paying 40% tax there’s just long enough to amuse myself watching a couple of fat ■■■■■■■■ lurch from their cabs and waddle to the shop before it’s time to crack on again. I like to get finished by 2 if I can in order to avoid the school run traffic during my bimble home through the local lanes.

I do have a Kindle in my bag though, so plenty of reading material if I find myself at a loose end for a few minutes. If push comes to shove, there’s always Trucknet to provide endless hours of amusement…

“That’s why all drivers need to have their hands on the wheel and keep their minds completely focused on the road at all times and not attempt to multi-task – any distraction could be fatal.”

Unfortunately there are some drivers that think they are exempt from the above until one day the inevitable happens.

Trying a bit too hard now Jake my old mate, quite frankly I’ve long been one to give you the benefit of the doubt but that ^^^^ post particularly comes across as quite troll like.

jakethesnake:
“That’s why all drivers need to have their hands on the wheel and keep their minds completely focused on the road at all times and not attempt to multi-task – any distraction could be fatal.”

Unfortunately there are some drivers that think they are exempt from the above until one day the inevitable happens.

This one time during the day (I avoid daylight for reasons) in the middle of the roadworks on the cursed failure of a motorway which is the M1 (j13-15) I’m behind this artic who’s doing ~43mph in the narrow lanes while having a trouble to stay in his lane…finally I muster up the courage to overtake, straddling lanes 2 and 3, take a peek - yep, he’s trying to roll a cigarette :unamused:

OK wtf, seriously: “■■■ beast wearing Yoda mask forces woman to perform ■■■ act after threatening her with knife”
thesun.co.uk/news/2284924/s … ith-knife/

Hope it doesn’t turn out to be yet another driver, we get enough bad reputation already.

Sploom:
Van driver caught pleasuring himself to ■■■■ on M25 gets off with a fine

This driver found a way of keeping himself entertained, but it landed him in hot water!

^^^^^^
11 months of intensive police investigations when there was no complaint about the driver anyway.
so much for police resources prioritising crime. :unamused:

ETS:

jakethesnake:

This one time during the day (I avoid daylight for reasons) in the middle of the roadworks on the cursed failure of a motorway which is the M1 (j13-15) I’m behind this artic who’s doing ~43mph in the narrow lanes while having a trouble to stay in his lane…finally I muster up the courage to overtake, straddling lanes 2 and 3, take a peek - yep, he’s trying to roll a cigarette :unamused:

OK wtf, seriously: “■■■ beast wearing Yoda mask forces woman to perform ■■■ act after threatening her with knife”
thesun.co.uk/news/2284924/s … ith-knife/

Hope it doesn’t turn out to be yet another driver, we get enough bad reputation already.

I am sorry about that I could have sworn I was going faster than 43.

I heard a certain firm that uses in cab cameras had to write a letter to all of their drivers after spot checking some of them and finding every driver either smoking or using their phone.

Currentlly reading/listening to Battle Scars by Jason Fox the Special Forces guy off ‘SAS Who Dares Wins’ tv show.

Good choice on listening material Rob as i have just started reading that book, did you read Ant Middleton First Man In? or should I say listen to it

Lewy:
Good choice on listening material Rob as i have just started reading that book, did you read Ant Middleton First Man In? or should I say listen to it

I actually read that one …the old fashioned way. :smiley:
After that it was Kevin Keegan’s new one.
I’ve got varied tastes in books. :smiley:

robroy:

Lewy:

I actually read that one …the old fashioned way. :smiley:
After that it was Kevin Keegan’s new one.
I’ve got varied tastes in books. :smiley:

I am not a massive football fan to be honest, read a couple of books from Rocket Ronnie which were interesting but i do love to have a read, I have on purpose been leaving iPad at home lately so I get to read more as it is just so easy to watch tv or a film so it is nice to actually have proper read, another one I recommend is a book called Sniper One, I read that within 2 days, completely glued to it (not the best expression to use on that :laughing:)

Apart from what I mentioned, the last few books I read were a couple about The Kray twins, Freddie Foreman’s book (one of The Kray’s associates) Steve Coogan’s bio, John Lennon’s Mrs book, and a book about the Pegasus Bridge D.Day raid.
Like I said…varied. :smiley:

TV , Firestick , phone with unlimited internet and an amazon prime account = all the tv you can watch and all music you can listen to with Deezer . Hard to find time to do much else to be honest .

I have read Ant Middleton’s , Jason Fox and Ollie Ollerton’s books ,as you know all these guys did the tv show SAS: Are you tough enough?
All three books were brilliant.
But the one I enjoyed the most was Ollie’s book for the dead pan humour , a page turner.

Foxys book tended to go on about PTSD too much, with Ollie’s it was was easier reading.
All three books mention Poole a lot and getting peed up on the booze, while dealing with downtime in the SBS.
I recommend Ollie’s book Break Point, and the chimpanzee that escaped to attack Olly as a kid .