Keeping up to date

Is your company any good at keeping you up to date on new regs as they come in? Do they provide idiot guides or hold drivers meetings etc?

When the latest tacho laws and WTD came in I knew more about it than the TM. Surely he should be educating me about them not the other way around.

im freelance so i rely on mags and this site to keep me up to date

was on an agency they were good, otherwise its this place, dont know what my new employer is gonna be like.

:wink: Our place is very good when it comes to new info that may affect the drivers and the terms of Their OLicence, its usually sent out / done ahead of time for start date of any new law :exclamation:

EDITED FOR CONFIDENTIALITY REASONS**

I’ve found an anomoly in this - basically that apart from the larger hauliers it appears that agencies are better than companies of informing their staff.

I work for DHL in the ‘eastern region’ (6x2 units pulling 45’ tautliners - pretty much anything goes in them! :laughing:) and they are excellent. In our division at least - I can’t speak for all the different bits of the firm, but I’d expect they are all decent enough.

We have a regional training manager who is a DSA registered driving instructor, is a member of every professional body related to road transport that I’ve ever heard of and has excellent relations with the local VOSA office. In short, if any rules are about to change, he’ll have a contact somewhere who will tell him about it.

On top of this, he has thirty years experience in the game. Started as a driver and worked his way up. So he’s a pretty sound fella all round.

Each individual depot also has one or two supporting trainer / assessors who are passed any new developments from the regional chap mentioned above.

We are informed about new or amended legislation ages before it happens, usually we have an open meeting on a Friday or Saturday morning. This always includes free bacon butties and coffee. :smiley:

We also get formal training where relevant. I had to go on a formal course for digital tachos before I was allowed to use one.

I know my firm does not always enjoy the best reputation, and I really do understand why at times. :wink: However this is one area where they are first class. :slight_smile: