Keeping them mirrors clean?

Any tips, from anybody about keeping my mirrors clean/clear?

Although they are heated, that don’t seem to help a lot when it’s thrashing it down with rain and when the weather does ease up, my mirrors are filthy and I still can’t see. :open_mouth:

I have seen some trucks, with bits of rag hanging off their mirrors, does that work :question:

Any advice please?

John

I found that peices of rag were ok when it rained hard but just spread the dirt round the mirror when it was a bit damp.
I carry one of them trigger bottles with some screen wash and use that and an bit of rag of kitchen towel to clean the mirrors when stopped.
With hedlight washers and heated mirrors. I can’t under stand why the truck designers don’t develop a mirror wash? Unless all they do is scale stuff up from cars, so they have never realised that mirrors are a problem.

Bits of rag tied to the mirrors do work, but we were told not to tie anything to the arms. It was one of the bosses pet hates :frowning: He had loads of them!

I always find that the heated mirrors actually cause the problem, because it dries the dirt and mud on them. When they are misted up with condensation, then fine but turn them off when its drying up after rain.

Just get into the habit off wiping the passenger mirror every time you stop for coffee or fuel, and always before you attempt to reverse into a tight yard.

i found that when you polish the outside of the cab .do the side windows and the mirrors with the same polish.so that when it rains like it has done the water just rolls off.( leave the heated mirrors off as this drys them out and the dirt sticks) sounds daft but it works ,plus they are easier to clean next time :smiley:

I think I’ve said this before on a previous post… Spray any window cleaning fluid (or even just water) onto to your mirrors, windscreen, etc. and wipe dry with scrunched up newspaper - leaves no smears, its brilliant, honest!!!

innit:
i found that when you polish the outside of the cab .do the side windows and the mirrors with the same polish.so that when it rains like it has done the water just rolls off.( leave the heated mirrors off as this drys them out and the dirt sticks) sounds daft but it works ,plus they are easier to clean next time :smiley:

i can imagine that will work,i`ll give it a try :wink:

:slight_smile: I can recommend Rain-X. I’ve used it for years. Here’s the website :
www.rainx.com (click onto automotive, then click onto glass) :sunglasses:
You need to make sure you have really cleaned the area well before applying it, though. Not just the mirrors but also works well on side windows,headlamp glass and all the plastic light lens covers too.
The rainwater just drips down and keeps the surface clear all the time, - has to be tried to be believed !
It’s not cheap, about £6.99 from Halfords or a car accessory shop,but a very small amount is used each time and lasts several months, so it will be a year (or two !) before you need to buy more.
I just use it on the part of the windscreen that the wipers don’t touch, around the edges.The wiper blade action would soon defeat the object of rubbing it on to all of the windscreen. :wink:

Bluecol make a similar product called ‘Rainwizard’, but I much prefer Rain-X.

I’ve used Rain-X and as Deesider says it is a very good product and does the job nicely.

ok, how about a non chemical way! use one of those window cleaner fingy majigs. when it rains, stop hang out thew window, voila, clean! there like a £1!

BARGAIN!