keeping records

When i log the other work i do that is not eu regulated ie not on tacho hoiw long to i keep them is it just for the last 28 days as you would with analogue tach and if so after 28 days can i just disguard them or do i have to keep them for longer i know i must have them with me if stopped but just dont know how long

cheers in advance

Jen x

I assume you mean charts/records for days when you do work that is none driving (to EU or Domestic regulations), if this is the case then you should keep the records with you when driving for the current day plus the previous 28 days (29 days total).

After that you can file them in the bin :wink:

yes that is what i mean i drive a taxi also so just done a spreadsheet for a week and log any work i do on taxi i just put down start time and then when i finish
thanks

so basicaly after 29 days goes by can just shred em eh brill :stuck_out_tongue:

J x

I’m sorry if I’m misunderstanding this but are you saying that you keep a record of the taxi driving in a spreadsheet, if so it will not satisfy VOSA if you get stopped and tell them about it.

In weeks when you drive to EU regulations records for work on none driving days should be made on a tachograph chart or digital tachograph printout or manually entered into a digital tachograph, charts are the easiest option in my opinion but whatever you choose it should not be a spreadsheet :wink:

On the charts/printouts for none driving days you should enter your name, date and the start and finish times.

:blush: okay better gets some tach charts i was just told as long as i logged it ie even in a diary would be okay as taxi work considered other work would suffice
thanks hopefully wont get stopped before got them logged then

jx

The taxi driving is considered as “other work” so that bit was right :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

If you can’t get some charts free they’re quite cheap on ebay.

Good luck :wink:

Thanks i will see if i can blag a spare digi printer roll off the comp i have been driving for and just record each day on back of that if not well ebay here i come

J x

(do people get stopped by vosa very often or is it hit and miss ?)

Jennie:
(do people get stopped by vosa very often or is it hit and miss ?)

Hit and miss, I’ve been stopped twice in the past 5 or 6 years and on neither occasion was my records checked or even asked for, on the other hand you could run into them regularly.
It’s pretty much a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time :wink:

If I were you I would take a printout of your spreadsheet or some form of written record to show that you have kept records just not in the correct format.

Thanks Tachograph the spreadsheet is taken with me anyway with work record as i dont keep it on my computer just did a spreadsheet with mon to Sun and then columns across with time on duty and time off duty print it out and keep with my paperwork is that okay then as by the sounds of it you must have assumed i filled it in on computer and did not have it with me does that mean im okay this way or still have to get hold of some tacho`s ■■

regards

Jen x

No that doesn’t comply with the regulations and possibly will not be acceptable to VOSA if you get stopped.

The spreadsheet is better than nothing I suppose but not what’s required so when you can get some charts you should use them for working days when you don’t drive, in weeks when you drive to EU regulations.

For the regulations only charts or printouts will do unless you’ve driven to domestic rules in which case you can record the domestic rules driving as other work in a log book/sheet.

If stopped you could get lucky and be checked by a really understanding enforcement officer, but do you really want to take the chance on a regular basis, I would hope that most enforcement officers would be decent enough to accept the spreadsheet as a temporary measure if they know you’re waiting to get some charts especially as you’re new to this stuff, but personally I wouldn’t want to gamble on it for too long.

Sorry :wink:

edit:
According to GV262 the records for none driving days should be on a chart or printout from a digital tachograph, the way this is worded I’m not sure that just printing paper would suffice, it looks like it may have to be either charts or an actual printout though frankly I fail to see why :confused:

The record must be either:

• written manually on a chart;
  • written manually on a printout from a digital tachograph;
  • made by using the manual input facility of a digital tachograph; or
  • for days where a driver has been subject to the domestic drivers’ hours rules and a record is legally required (see page 25), recorded in a domestic log book.

okay here goes im ready for the stick now !!!

When i have been out at the end of shift it asks for a printout this i have done and have these in my paperwork the guy at the depot looks at it (i presume to see any infringments ) then hands it to me

you say that i have to fill in a printout not just on back of print out roll so how do i do this do i ask for printout at start of shift and then fill in on back the days i have been driving taxi or on the ones at end of shift
sorry if this sound confusing but i am confused myself as not sure how to do this printout the thing is if i start putting in manual entries on my tach card i am bound to ■■■■ up somewhere and probably cause myself more grief than nessesary

Im sorry if being a pain in the arse !!

Jx

I’ve always believed that a piece of tachograph printing paper would suffice for manual entries on none driving days but on re-reading the regulations I’m not 100% sure, so I’ve asked a VOSA bloke who hopefully will let us know exactly what is considered sufficient when he gets the message :wink:

thanks tachograph

I was thinking of ringing vosa myself and explaining my situation and seeing what they recommend i will post back when find out

meanwhile i managed to get hold of some tachos from the comp i work for he did mention that eventually everyone will be on digi and the analogue will be no longer there to record none eu regs driving so what will happen then

regards

Jen x

Apologies to Tachograph & Jennie for the delay in answering.

If you’re driving vehicles fitted with analogue tachos then a manual entry on the reverse of a chart for work carried out on a non-EU driving day is perfectly acceptable. If you don’t have any tacho charts then the reverse of a digital printout roll is acceptable.

If you are driving a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph then logic (and the Regulation) says you use the manual entry procedure when you put the card into the tacho. That way your ‘other work’ is captured on your driver card which now has a true record of your activities that your employer can analyse to show your compliance with the relevant legislation. It also saves you having loads of bits of paper or tacho charts floating around, which, with the best will in the world do get lost :smiley:

Be kind to the environment, put the manual entries on your digital card and save charts / paper. If you have to use charts / paper fair enough, keep the records safe and hand them into employer after the 29 days and before 42 days.

geebee45:
Apologies to Tachograph & Jennie for the delay in answering.

If you’re driving vehicles fitted with analogue tachos then a manual entry on the reverse of a chart for work carried out on a non-EU driving day is perfectly acceptable. If you don’t have any tacho charts then the reverse of a digital printout roll is acceptable.

If you are driving a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph then logic (and the Regulation) says you use the manual entry procedure when you put the card into the tacho. That way your ‘other work’ is captured on your driver card which now has a true record of your activities that your employer can analyse to show your compliance with the relevant legislation. It also saves you having loads of bits of paper or tacho charts floating around, which, with the best will in the world do get lost :smiley:

Be kind to the environment, put the manual entries on your digital card and save charts / paper. If you have to use charts / paper fair enough, keep the records safe and hand them into employer after the 29 days and before 42 days.

geebee45 :question:
The FTA website are advertising these for £28 for a pack of 8 :open_mouth:

shop.fta.co.uk/samples/4428.pdf

Other work records under EU rules
In any fixed week where a driver is in scope of the EU rules, all periods of work and POA must be recorded either manually on a tachograph chart or a digital tachograph printout or by using the manual input facility of a digital tachograph. In GB, VOSA will also accept a domestic drivers’ hours logbook record, providing it is legally required.

How would VOSA react to these if a taxi driver used them?

Sorry not been on TN much this week

I was under the impression that i could file the manual entries I have done in the bin after 28 days ?

geebe45 do i have to hand them to the agency then ?

jen x

Jennie:
Sorry not been on TN much this week

I was under the impression that i could file the manual entries I have done in the bin after 28 days ?

I think in this case Geebee45 was mentioning the situation for an employed driver who may do a day when they don’t do any driving. The records go to the undertaking under whose order you were subject to on that day and on a day when you do not work through the agency, and drive your taxi, you are not under such an undertakings control so you can just bin them.

Jennie:
geebe45 do i have to hand them to the agency then ?

You shouldn’t be handing any charts to the agency, it is the driver’s responsibility to return them to the operator you were working for. If the agency do not pass them on or loose them it is you who will be held responsible and it is a Level 4 offence which carries a fine of up to £2500. I wouldn’t be trusting any agency with charts.

Thanks coffehollic that clears that up I thought I was right about throwing them away actually i do believe it was you that told me that on another thread.

Those drivers log books would look very pretty after a taxi drivers day for a start a whole page would be needed just for poa entries ! :smiley:

Jx

Jennie:
Thanks coffehollic that clears that up I thought I was right about throwing them away actually i do believe it was you that told me that on another thread.

I think it was Tachograph, not me.

hi there guys

I have finaly had an answer from vosa on logging non truck driving work carried out , a guy I managed to speak to at vosa has sent me this e mail to confirm what he said so thought i would post it on here for everyone to read i am going to print it out and carry it with me so that if i am stopped by vosa they can see that I am following what what said by a vosa official just in case the guy that stops me has different ideas :wink:

Dear Mrs Harrison 

In reference to our earlier call- when you are driving Taxis you will be out of scope of the EU rules and would be more likely to be under Domestic Hours rules. When you then drive an HGV you need to be mindful of the EU rules- Page 27 clarifies what process you need to follow when driving mixed Eu and Domestic- be mindful of the 45 hour rest rule and the working time directive providing you adhere to these you will have no issues. I would advise that the best way to keep a record as you could have Analogue charts digital print outs etc, is to use the Form on page 46 which would then cover the in scope and out of scope driving/other work etc. You could also see at a glance what you have done in a weekly period. (attaching the print outs and/or Tachos). The guide recommends that you use a domestic hours record book and the example sheet is in the appendix page 46. I would advise to use the sheet and see if there is a book available (as sheets can get lost- you will no doubt as you are self employed;keep lots of records and these records would be accountable under Working Time Directive rules - so a book would be more ideal- apparently the books re available on line at HM Stationary) 

I hope that this answers the question any problems though do not hesitate to call me on the number below. 

Dave Cox
0208 6655715(office) 0208 86650214(Fax)
07710833523 (Mobile)

He even mentioned that alot of guys just keep a diary and that was fine so it looks that as long as you record your hours and carry it with you it should be fine

best regards

Jennie x