Keeping Records

I currently work 4, 10 hour day shifts as a HGV Technician Sat to Tue. I was offered 1 day a week driving as a local relief driver for a local company. In my regular day job I only use my Digi card if collecting or delivering vehicles (1 hour journey max) or taking trucks for MOT, which requires 2 minutes of driving and standing time for the test. My question is do I need to keep manual records for activities on all previous days, whether driving or not? What happens if I record a day shift on a manual card and had driven on that day and the journey (ie 12 minutes) is recorded on my Digi card with no other record for that day. The main journeys we do are about 12 minutes driving time, and it can be days before we use the card again in another vehicle to input manual entries. I usually put the Tacho to record a break when I remove the card even though I would be working the rest of my shift in the workshop, if swapping between trucks I record it as other work. Any advice appreciated. :confused:

When you come under EU regs at any time in a fixed week all other work in that week must be officially recorded and the easiest way to do that is to either use separate analogue cards or digi print out paper with a record made for each work day

Each record must have your name date start and finish time on it

Thanks ROG, I was thinking the proper way was using paper discs. If I made out a disc for say, a 10 hour shift day with a start and finish time on it, would that conflict with a Digi card journey on the same day of approximately 12 minutes? Would it be better on that day to print off a 24 hr day and alter it manually on the back at the end of the shift?

poleman:
Thanks ROG, I was thinking the proper way was using paper discs. If I made out a disc for say, a 10 hour shift day with a start and finish time on it, would that conflict with a Digi card journey on the same day of approximately 12 minutes? Would it be better on that day to print off a 24 hr day and alter it manually on the back at the end of the shift?

The slight difference in the two records would not be deemed as an infringement because the authorities know that they are not always in unison

poleman:

If you’re driving in-scope of EU regulations you should be doing a manual entry of the work done since the start of the shift, apart from that you don’t need to do any record of that days work until you next use a digital tachograph and do a manual entry for the end of the last shift on a digital tachograph.

This is no different to when people use a digital tachograph then an analogue tachograph for the next few shifts, there’s often no record of the end of the shift on a digital tachograph until the next time they use a digital tachograph.
However if you’re concerned about not having a proper record of the last part of a shift after ejecting the driver card, you could do a printout and write the rest of the shifts activities on it, you would also then have a record of the days activities should you wish to do a manual entry some days later, if you did you’d then bin the printout.

Technically doing two records for the same shift is dodgy as they must be exactly the same otherwise you’ll have conflicting records, so I’d say either do nothing until you next use a digital tachograph or do either a printout or chart for the time after ejecting the driver card

Many thanks to all, the advice is gratefully received.