Keeping records of tacho and wtd?

Hi all, and firstly sorry if you have read/answered this time and time again…

My predicament is that I work full time on a four on four off rolling system (none driving). I work for an agency doing a couple of days per 4 off, mainly my last two days doing hgv work. I make sure I have my first two days off so I complete a minimum of 45hr break before I do any hgv driving (hence my last two days).
Now I’ve heard that I have to keep records now of all work done for that week to prove that I am not breaking the wtd either none driving work or driving work. And not just rely on the tachographs I carry with me for the driving work I have done within 28 days. Firstly is this true, or can I just carry the tachographs?? I’ve spoke to my agency and they say that I dont have to worry about it as I am an “occassional driver”. As said above I only work maybe one or two days driving at the most a week.

Also to this I’ve heard that it doesnt really matter about the wtd unless a serious incident occurs, but I’ve also heard that Vosa or Police could check with the DWP at the roadside as to whether I’m working for more than one employer.

I understand all the wtd and drivers rules etc… and never break the 60 hrs wtd limit or weekly driving time.

Could someone please carify on the records/tacho’s etc that I need to carry with me?, am I doing something dodgy and could end up in serious trouble?, and what do I say if I get pulled over by Vosa etc…

Be grateful for your help all
Cheers. :grimacing:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Tezzler :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Tezzler:
Now I’ve heard that I have to keep records now of all work done for that week to prove that I am not breaking the wtd either none driving work or driving work. And not just rely on the tachographs I carry with me for the driving work I have done within 28 days. Firstly is this true,

YES -
Few rules when doing two jobs and one of them comes under EU regs -
A ‘week’ is mon 0000 to sun 2400
You must have a 45 hour unbroken rest in every other week
You must have a 24 hour unbroken rest in every week
In any week where you come under EU regs your work in the other job must be recorded
That other work can be recorded on a digi tacho, seperate printouts or on seperate analogue charts - one for each day worked
Each recorded work day must contain your name, date, start & finish time.
You do not need to record anything if you do not come under EU regs in that week
All this is so that the authorities can check that you have had the correct weekly rest for the EU regs

tachograph:
… use charts for the none driving days but you don’t need to hand them in, you only need to give the transport company the records for the days that you drive for them :wink:

Keep the charts for none driving days with you for the 28 days then recycle them, there only purpose is to show that you’ve had the required daily and weekly rest periods if you get stopped :wink:

None driving day charts are filed here → --> →

Tezzler:
Also to this I’ve heard that it doesnt really matter about the wtd unless a serious incident occurs,

TRUE

Tezzler:
but I’ve also heard that Vosa or Police could check with the DWP at the roadside as to whether I’m working for more than one employer.

TRUE - your tax records for one

For the non-driving job you are under the WTD which can be opted out of
The RT(WTD)R is for mobile workers

From what you are doing, I would say that you do not need to concern your self with the WTD or RT(WTD)R
You do need to conform to the EU tacho regs which means recording those shifts in the other non-driving job as per the info further up this post

I am not the regs GURU on this so if I am incorrect then one will be along to say so…

Or explain it in a better way than I have done :slight_smile:

Hi Rog, thats great help and advice but just to clarify this.

Do I only have to keep the records both wtd and Tacho then just for the last 28 days?? then I can bin them, or send them to my agency and I could do this by getting a box of Tacho’s off the net and just fill them in on the back. Ie: rest days etc.

And as I am doing driving “in scope” the Drivers wtd takes presedence over the normal “none driving” wtd, so I can “not” opt out of the weekly 60hrs maximum time limit.

Is this correct?

Cheers.

Not sure if I am going to get this correct but I’ll have a go…

If you opt out of the WTD then those hours do not count for the RT(WTD)R and if I am correct then doing those 2 days driving per week wil get nowhere near 60 hours !!!

The purpose of keeping the records for non driving days is so VOSA can see your REST & BREAKS in any WEEK (mon 0000 to sun 2400) when you came under the EU driver regs for the present day and the lasy 28 days (4 weeks)

Once 28 days (4 weeks) has passed then the non driving day records can be binned as they are no good for anything

Remember I am not the GURU on this

PS - tacho records for your driving days must go to the OPERATOR of the vehicle used and not the agency

If you are willing to trust the agency to forward those records in time to each OPERATOR then it’s on your head if anything goes awry !!!

Cheers Rog thats a great help. :laughing:

In general, the WTD records will be checked at the office or depot later where as the EU rules will be enforced at the roadside. Makes sense as no one could be expected to carry 17 or 26 weeks tachograph records with them, in fact it would be illegal.

Wheel Nut:
In general, the WTD records will be checked at the office or depot later …

But only ever likely if a major incident occurs

Yeah it does make sense, I’ve just been checking this, see page 36:

dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/ … sgoods.pdf

As far as I’m aware if you work “none driving” then you can opt out of the wtd and the maximum 10hr night limit, but because you work “at any point, unless under the occasional drivers regs” then you have to abide by the “drivers wtd” and hence cannot opt out of the wtd limit.

Am I right in saying that the maximum time “on duty” is eleven hours also, this not including breaks, Poa.

I think you are now looking at domestic regs which does not affect you in either of your jobs

This is the link you need - EU DRIVER REGS

:slight_smile:

:laughing: see this is where I’m getting confused and need a law degree even though I just want to do abit of part time work on my days off lol.

So what regs do I come under and what are the rules for doing combined “normal none driving work” and then a couple of days a week “Driving in scope work”. Surely its the drivers wtd isnt it, even if I only do one day.

very complicated…

Tezzler:
:lol: see this is where I’m getting confused and need a law degree even though I just want to do abit of part time work on my days off lol.

So what regs do I come under and what are the rules for doing combined “normal none driving work” and then a couple of days a week “Driving in scope work”. Surely its the drivers wtd isnt it, even if I only do one day.

very complicated…

I must admit that this is where I have a problem as to what exactly counts for the RT(WTD)R which is why I said I’m not the GURU

EXAMPLE -
Mon to Fri in a non driving job under WTD at 13 hours a day with a 1 hour break each day = 60 hours
Sat - 12 hours of WORK in a 13 hours shift under EU regs and RT(WTD)R

I am assuming that the 60 hours WTD do not count if opted out of but that is an assumption

The shift times for Mon to Fri need to be recorded for EU regs REST purposes

I hope a GURU can tell us exactly what is correct…

Cheers again ROG and hopefully so :laughing:, I think if I keep to the break of 45hr or more on my first 2 days off, and keep my records for 28 days with me then I should be covered.

Tezzler:
Cheers again ROG and hopefully so :laughing:, I think if I keep to the break of 45hr or more on my first 2 days off, and keep my records for 28 days with me then I should be covered.

For the EU tacho regs - I see no problem with that as there will be a full weekly rest starting after every six shifts

I am now waiting for coffeeholic, tachograph or geebee45 to tell me where I have cocked up in this thread :slight_smile: