Keeping printouts

this is a hypothetical as i dont work anywhere yet.

my question is about keeping and handing in of printouts. suppose it is company policy to do a printout at the end of each shift, i know that they have to be kept and handed in after 28 days, ditto for any infringements that i would have to write on the back of.

but what if i do a couple of printouts throughout the day, purely for myself, as an example just to keep track of driving/breaks. do i have to keep these and hand it in? or because they are purely for myself, can i just chuck em when i have done with?

Chuck 'em

that was quick lol, thanks mate :slight_smile: i just wasn’t sure because obviously it logs on the card every time a print out is done and i dont want that awkward moment when the gaffer asks where they are. it makes sense that it would be ok to chuck em because there is no reason for doing them.

jbaz73:
my question is about keeping and handing in of printouts. suppose it is company policy to do a printout at the end of each shift, i know that they have to be kept and handed in after 28 days, ditto for any infringements that i would have to write on the back of.

I think you’ll find that most companies that require daily printouts require you to hand them in at the end of the shift, having said that companies that do require daily printouts are in a small minority.

jbaz73:
but what if i do a couple of printouts throughout the day, purely for myself, as an example just to keep track of driving/breaks. do i have to keep these and hand it in? or because they are purely for myself, can i just chuck em when i have done with?

You only have to hand in legally required printouts, printouts for your own use can be binned.

As far as I’m aware digital tachographs do not record/log each time a printout is done, but bear in mind printing paper isn’t cheap so don’t waste it just for the sake of it.

Thanks tachograph. i must have misunderstood what i read, that you have to keep printouts for 28 days in case of a pull off vosa. i suppose its something to ask at the interview what the company policy is. i did think it would be a bit pointless carrying all the printouts for 28 days when the record is on your card anyway.

i suppose the exception is when you have an infringement and you have written on the back, i assume that then you would have to keep the record to produce for 28 days?

jbaz73:
i suppose the exception is when you have an infringement and you have written on the back, i assume that then you would have to keep the record to produce for 28 days?

That’s right, any legally required printout must be carried for the following 28 days then handed in to the operator, though often it’s as well to do two printouts and hand one in when your card is downloaded and keep the other one with you for 28 days.

By legally required printouts I mean those printouts that are used for legally required manual entries/explanations.

Other printouts required by a company or printouts for your own use but not legally required can be used or deposed of according to company policy, for instance if you do a printout to check your driving time it’s of no interest to anyone but you so can be binned any-time.

You don’t need to actually print anything just to check the current or previous day’s hours, you can go into the print menu and select “display” instead of “print” and scroll through the same information on the screen. That way you aren’t having to ask you employer for loads of paper rolls.

thanks for the tip glen. im aware of how to disply the driving time, its poa use that resets your driving time erroneously which is why i was thinking of doing printouts if i had to use that mode.

tachograph:
I think you’ll find that most companies that require daily printouts require you to hand them in at the end of the shift, having said that companies that do require daily printouts are in a small minority.

The shower I work for demand a printout every day and download our cards every day.

A.