Keeping a paper log of all my driving duties?

Not seen this subject covered yet.

Apparently, so they tell me at work, VOSA want me to keep a paper log of all my driving duties and any other work I do. This is as well as what is on the tachograph.

So, another bloody bit of paper to fill in before I drive anywhere.

I can’t see the point - what are they trying to stop here?

Where is this info from :question:

Or are you getting confused with the ‘other work’ issue when doing 2 or more jobs of which at least one does not come under EU regs :question: :question: :question:

It’s just what I’ve been told at work - which is why I’ve asked on here. Apparently the whole company has to fill in this log. This all started after our supervisor went on a Tachomaster course.

Anecdotally, one of the blokes at work told me yesterday, one of our trucks from another depot got stopped by VOSA, because he didn’t have this ‘paper log’ filled in his vehicle was impounded.

To be honest, I dunno what to think?

thedeerhunter270:
It’s just what I’ve been told at work - which is why I’ve asked on here. Apparently the whole company has to fill in this log. This all started after our supervisor went on a Tachomaster course.

Anecdotally, one of the blokes at work told me yesterday, one of our trucks from another depot got stopped by VOSA, because he didn’t have this ‘paper log’ filled in his vehicle was impounded.

where’s the “someone’s pulling your plonker” smilie when you need it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

this is just getting stupid,at this rate we wont leave the yard,well just sit there filling out paperwork all day :unamused:

It’s under Record Keeping section 3.

transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/r … Europe.pdf

thedeerhunter270:
It’s under Record Keeping section 3.

transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/r … Europe.pdf

that is under the DOMESTIC driving rules not the EU ones - which are you on :question:

We keep a paper log, but that’s because we swap between analogue, digi and vans, so need to record the hours of duty done in non-tacho vehicles. It also doubles up to keep the WTD bods happy.

ROG:
that is under the DOMESTIC driving rules not the EU ones - which are you on :question:

I use a digital tachograph, so I assume EU, and yes I see what you mean about GB and EU regs.

I shall make some inquiries at work and see what regs we are using.

From your guide.

You must keep written records of your hours of work on a weekly record sheet. An example of such a sheet is at Annex 3. Operators are expected to check and sign each weekly record sheet.

Record books containing weekly record sheets are not available from The Stationery Office. VOSA (see Annex 4) can provide the names of commercial printers who produce them.

Alternatively, an EU-approved and sealed tachograph may be used to record a driver’s activities while he is subject to domestic drivers’ hours rules. When recording in this manner, and where domestic records are legally required (see flowchart below), all rules on the fitment and use of the tachograph must be complied with (see Section 4 on page 27).

I reckon the problems started when your boss went on a Tachomaster course and didn’t listen :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
I reckon the problems started when your boss went on a Tachomaster course and didn’t listen :smiley:

Yep, looks like it…

Wheel Nut:

Bet he / she thought ah another string in me bow and a nice jolly on the firm.
About TM’s got out on the road and worked the job for a bit rather than playing at it

vosa sent one of our drivers a duty log to complete,he had to fill in every thing ,what time he set off millage ,where he was going,what time he got there,milage when he got there,size of his bits ,the form was very clear that if he dfailed to fill it in he would be liable to prosecution,and if he was caught with it incomplete and uptodate he woukld be prosecuted ,vosa , pain in the arse

albion:
We keep a paper log, but that’s because we swap between analogue, digi and vans, so need to record the hours of duty done in non-tacho vehicles.

Those hours should be recorded on a tacho chart, a digi tacho print out, or by means of the manual input facility on a digi tacho. A paper log of those houres isn’t legal. The van driving should be recorded as other work.

Recording other work
Drivers must record all other work and periods of availability — including work for other employers —
on all driving and non-driving days within a week where they have undertaken driving that comes
within the scope of the EU rules on drivers’ hours.
For example, a driver who works in a warehouse on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and wishes
to drive a vehicle within the scope of the EU rules on Thursday of the same week must complete
records for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
The record must be either:

• written manually on a chart;
  • written manually on a printout from a digital tachograph;
  • made by using the manual input facility of a digital tachograph; or
  • for days where a driver has been subject to the domestic drivers’ hours rules and a record
    is legally required (see page 25), recorded in a domestic log book.
    For the non-driving days, the record may simply show the driver’s name, the date, and the start
    and finish of the shift. These records must be carried on the vehicle by the driver to be produced to
    enforcement officers for the relevant period (see individual sections on how to make manual entries).

Wheel Nut:

I agree. :stuck_out_tongue:

mezzzz1211:
vosa sent one of our drivers a duty log to complete,he had to fill in every thing ,what time he set off millage ,where he was going,what time he got there,milage when he got there,size of his bits

Those are survey forms which are sent out to all operators periodically by the Department for Transport, they are not some new daily requirement.

the form was very clear that if he dfailed to fill it in he would be liable to prosecution,

The operator would be liable to prosecution.

and if he was caught with it incomplete and uptodate he woukld be prosecuted ,vosa

That bit is nonsense, he could have filled it in at the end of the week, or the boss could have.

thedeerhunter270:

I think you have learned a very valuable piece of information about this bloke. In the future you now know that if his lips are moving it is more than likely he is talking ■■■■■■■■. Give him a wide berth and treat him with the contempt he deserves. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Have just seen this post. Was stopped a while ago and was told by the police officer the same thing. That i should be keeping a record of what i work. Nothing complicated. I do it anyway. Just entries in your diary of what days i worked , rest, hoidays etc. Don’t know if he was correct , but i have always done it. I also write in my diary where i have been that day. Never know when they might turn up accusing you of something and being somewhere you have never been!!.

tortoise:
Have just seen this post. Was stopped a while ago and was told by the police officer the same thing. That i should be keeping a record of what i work. Nothing complicated. I do it anyway. Just entries in your diary of what days i worked , rest, hoidays etc. Don’t know if he was correct , but i have always done it. I also write in my diary where i have been that day. Never know when they might turn up accusing you of something and being somewhere you have never been!!.

Well you should be keeping a record of your work but it should be on a tachograph chart/card, or in a log book if on domestic rules and don’t have or want to use a tachograph.