Kammac in the 8os

Guesty44:

truckerash:
here ya’ go ROUTIER.
Just noticed JC name on K,ot Road post.Also there was Terry Smith from Skem.

i must have beeen one of them tryin to get all the colours :frowning: VERY :frowning:

used to see um all the time at Red Lion Truckstop, Junc 16 M1Northampton.

JESTER - EASY RIDER - ROOSTER

VOLVO day and night shots

recognise the driver?

BJ+BEAR

VAMPIRE

no name

and even a Transcontinental.

Anyone that was on Kammack would remember Johney Cigar (Carthey)from the 80s
Last I heard he was living on a boat on the river ribble.Do anyone else Know of him.

The driver in the picture above is Terry Hunter.

marky:

Did they do some work out of Kelloggs in Trafford Park ■■, I seam to recall talking to one of their drivers in a café in Trafford Park & he had just loaded there, ■■?, Regards Larry. This was in the 80s.

Lawrence Dunbar:

marky:

Did they do some work out of Kelloggs in Trafford Park ■■, I seam to recall talking to one of their drivers in a café in Trafford Park & he had just loaded there, ■■?, Regards Larry. This was in the 80s.

They could’ve done Lawrence, I’m no expert on it - I just washed the wagons (rarely). That was enough for me :wink:

yes Lawrence, we done a fair bit out of Kelloggs in Trafford Park, they had 2 drawbars done up in Kelloggs livery when i left there

Probably a stupid question :blush:
Did they only buy secondhand motors?
Reason i ask is because they all seemed to have different colour schemes.

Suedehead:
Probably a stupid question :blush:
Did they only buy secondhand motors?
Reason i ask is because they all seemed to have different colour schemes.

No - they were deliberately different from the time the fleet became standardised (or as near as possible) on the Volvo F12s - this would’ve been around 1980-81. The wagons prior to that (Ford Transcontinental, F88s, F86 and the American stuff Brian had) were also different colours.

The F12s came from Lancashire Trucks at Kirkby and were all delivered with different colours but the same stripe format. They were fitted with marker lights and air horns before delivery as well as Hatcher plastic top tanks behind the cab on top of the chassis (never lasted long as they always cracked). They were (controversially, at that time) leased to the drivers by Brian, thus making them self employed of a sort. I never truly understood the ramifications of that, but it was covered by the Comical Motor and can be found in their online archive.

Later in the eighties, Brian went to Salford Van Hire and leased a lot of the series 2 F10s, which were initially supplied as 4x2s, but were later modified to be 6x2s with ‘pusher’ midlift axles. He went over to Sweden to look at the FL10s prior to their launch in the UK and I distinctly remember that industry journalists who were there claimed that he wouldn’t be using them as he said they didn’t look up to the job. The last intake of motors at Kammac before the Leggett takeover and subsequent Whiteline tangent were the DAF 3300s, some of which also went through a transformation from 4x2 to 6x2 midlift pusher configuration.

I lost touch with what happened to Brian’s operations after that, other than walking past his Gardner 6LXC-powered Seddon Atkinson 401 which used to be regularly parked at Les Riley’s premises in School Lane, Burscough.

I worked for kammac 1986 to 1988 , Steve McLoughlin, i remember Jimmy and billy Myers , Derek Alker , Stan pie, steve callow, bobby joyce, my dad Paul McLoughlin, drifter, Peter murphy, Alan adair, and many more, good memories

Steve mac:
I worked for kammac 1986 to 1988 , Steve McLoughlin, i remember Jimmy and billy Myers , Derek Alker , Stan pie, steve callow, bobby joyce, my dad Paul McLoughlin, drifter, Peter murphy, Alan adair, and many more, good memories

Jimmy Myers, I worked with Jimmy in 1980 for Percy Brazendale doing a bit of middle east, we were good mates, but when the job folded we lost contact, as you do.
I saw him a few years later parked up at Elworth (Sandbach) he was on for Kammac then.
Anybody know what he’s doing now, or has he retired from driving like me?

Jimmy Myers worked with me at matalan and took redundancy he moved to Canada, he’s been there 8 years driving still , am in touch with him on Facebook, he’s doing well

Steve mac:
Jimmy Myers worked with me at matalan and took redundancy he moved to Canada, he’s been there 8 years driving still , am in touch with him on Facebook, he’s doing well

Steve mac, it would be great if you could remember me to him next time you speak with him, just say Pete from Crewe who worked at Percys with him sends his regards.

Yea I will do Pete no problem

Found this in a box of photos at Gaydon recently.

A bit sketchy but on the front is the name Gremlin, and the reg is either D168 or 169 KNE.

On the back it says picture was taken at Hartshead Moor in 1987

Couple of bits from magazines i come across.Click on them to read as they become clearer.

Yellow Peril & Houston Oilers, both on for Whiteline 1986 timeframe.

Bit better but why does it come out with split screen.

dya rememba old Kammac wagons from Skem in thre 80s?, all painted dfferent colours ? He would have 3 the same batch of colour ie 3 in purple, /purple stripe. 3 in white with blue stripes, 3 in green with green stripes etc etc…smart looking fleet in its day,

any one got any pics ? always photographed, people trying to get all the colours of the F10s! Members of my family used to work for them…Ol Snakey there!

didnt a lot of them be owner drivers

No, all those different coloured F10s were driven by employees of the company, they may have used ODs but the wagons were not in their colours, they had a big schweppes contract which they ( 2 brothers) lost and as a result it was their downfall before Paul Kamel reinvented the firm and got it back to where it is today.

His brother Brian went on to form Whiteline and that went belly up, Brian died some years ago, penniless and homeless I am lead to believe.

here ya’ go ROUTIER.

i must have beeen one of them tryin to get all the colours :frowning: VERY :frowning:

used to see um all the time at Red Lion Truckstop, Junc 16 M1Northampton.

JESTER - EASY RIDER - ROOSTER

VOLVO day and night shots

recognise the driver?

BJ+BEAR

VAMPIRE

no name

and even a Transcontinental.