Kaikoura Coast, NZ Diary (*New Update*)

Hi everyone, as promised here’s the latest from NZ. Started on artics this week and have been doing Christchurch-Picton-Christchurch trailer swaps at the inter islander ferry terminal. The route follows the infamous East coast “Kaikoura Highway” and is well known for the amount of fatal truck crashes and rollovers on the 350km stretch between the South Island’s largest city and the picturesque port town. To be fair I haven’t really been able to capture all of the natural beauty of the surroundings as my backside has been nipped up and my eyes fixed firmly on the road but I did manage to get quite a few scenery shots to give you all at least some idea. Kaikoura at sunrise is a sight to behold as you can see hundreds of seals and schools of whales frolicking in the Ocean as you drive by. Fully loaded the run can take as much as 6 hours one way but we’ve been running reasonably light and the average has been closer to 5 hours. Anyway, here goes:-

Here’s part 2…

Part 3…

Thanks Duck for the excellent pics. I think I can safely say that we are all a little envious over here in the UK. Beats a cold wet windy M6 stuck nose to tail in constant traffic jams every time. I for one will be looking forward to your next diary and pics.

Regards,

Dave.

Hi Duck i used to do it the other way round Auckland-wellington for mr mcdowell before i swoppped sides to linfox.Unfortunately back in the uk running uk europe again after having a few probs getting residencey.Great pics, makes me miss the place and people.Go hard and stay safe not such a good bit of road in the winter :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Nice Diary. My friend owns a B&B Homestay in Kaikoura, she is over there at the moment and I have her dog staying with me. Anyone fancy a holiday while job hunting give me a shout.

Sad News from the North Island today as 11 people were killed in a Balloon accident near Carterton / Wellington

Yeh i saw that this morn on msn wheelnut.Very sad.

new zealand has taken a bit of a hammering this last 12 months or so what with earthquakes,oil disasters,mine disasters and this latest tradgedy. :frowning:

Duck:
Here’s part 2.
hiya Duck. nice photo’s thanks for posting them and looking forward to the next trip.
the pecular beast looks as though it might be british… they never bothered about driver comfort that much.
just a quick one what do the fuso heavy trucks perform like… i suppose its only time before they
come to the UK …have a good new year
John

Nice pics.Looks a tough route .That rig a handfull to reverse in a tight spot?.Nice to see inside cab.

3300John:

Duck:
Here’s part 2.
hiya Duck. nice photo’s thanks for posting them and looking forward to the next trip.
the pecular beast looks as though it might be british… they never bothered about driver comfort that much.
just a quick one what do the fuso heavy trucks perform like… i suppose its only time before they
come to the UK …have a good new year
John

I’ve never actually driven a Mitsubishi Fuso but I’ve driven the equivalent in Hino, Isuzu and Nissan UD. They’re not that bad to be fair considering the purchase price when compared to Euro/American rivals but whether or not they’ll catch on in Europe I don’t know. Always seem to be a bit short on hp according to Kiwi drivers. The K108 featured in this diary has a 500hp CAT but it went back to Kenworth when it was 3 months old to be re-mapped and has never pulled as well since then from what I’ve heard. Due to the terrain I would say that torque and engine braking performance would be 2 key factors here when purchasing a new vehicle and I’m not sure that the Japs can compete in that department yet.

brandsbybank:
Nice pics.Looks a tough route .That rig a handfull to reverse in a tight spot?.Nice to see inside cab.

The hard-sided quad trailers have 2 steering axles but on this job the company just use rental ones and the maintenance isn’t a 100% IMO. I’ve towed a couple where the air valve to lock them for reversing doesn’t work and as a result you have to get a bit “creative” to get to where you want to be. Also have to watch some of the older ones on roundabouts as they have a tendency to “flick” across suddenly if the steering mechanism is worn. Was following one of the old skool drivers back from the port in Picton and out of the blue the trailer just started going sideways for a second and then straightened out!!
The curtainsiders are a metre longer and are a lot newer with deck space for 28 pallets… Only the rear axle steers on those and they seem to be well maintained.

Nice read & pics there Duck, hope the jobs going well for you down there, looks a tidy place,
look forward to some more of your trips on here, thanks for posting em :smiley:

Safe trucking to fella.

Nice one Duck, looks like fun, keep em coming mate :wink:

Hi Duck,
Glad to see your doing well down there.
Im on my way back to Thailand then Malaysia in a couple of weeks time and hope to make
a trip to NZ in a few months time.

Stay safe and please post somemore stuff if you get chance.

Cheers Paul

oatcake1967:
Stay safe and please post somemore stuff if you get chance.

Awww, gone on then, you’ve twisted my arm…
Here’s a few shots of some local work I’ve been doing around Christchurch the past few days.
Not the most interesting of jobs but I still get paid at the same rate as the Picton runs and I don’t need to get up at 2:00AM everyday. I don’t actually mind the early starts but the place I’m staying in is full of students and I haven’t been getting enough kip. Doesn’t matter how good a driver you are, you’ll come a cropper at some point along that stretch if your tired as the road is very unforgiving, miss a downshift or hit a hairpin bend a bit too hard and “Geronimo” you’ll sail off the end of a cliff!! I only had 6 hours sleep from Monday to Thursday last week and there’s only one word to describe that…DANGEROUS. Hopefully I’ll be moving somewhere a bit quieter soon and then I can get back to doing some miles but it’s pretty difficult to find good accomodation in Christchurch due to the recent earthquakes…“Better safe than sorry,” that’s my motto… :smiley:

Fish bins and produce on the same trailer, nice :laughing:

Keep em coming dude :wink:

lol… a CH daycab with the wheel on the proper side ,looks the same inside .
:smiley: jimmy.

What work like down there, I am coming over the arse end of this year for a mooch and an ask around.

B1 GGK:
What work like down there, I am coming over the arse end of this year for a mooch and an ask around.

TBH, it’s pretty much the same as transport the World over, bosses want as much out of you for as little as they can get away with. Here you really have to work for your money there’s no doubt about that. I’m glad I came over on a WHV as it gives me the option to change employers freely and just get a bit of an ‘experience’. Had I left it another year I would have been too old so it was a case of now or never. The good news for some of you older drivers out there is that quite a few NZ firms are going down the “Canadian” route and getting accredited with immigration. Been speaking to a car transport firm in Ch’ch that have taken on 2 UK drivers so it’s not impossible.

Some great photos there Duck,brings back a few memories driving a rigid for the Otago Hospital Board on the South Island years ago.
Keep em coming :wink: