JWQ Transport

Why did they fold Terry, as I posted elsewhere I remember the old Reading depot (Katesgrove Lane) very well, and we had an ex fitter of theirs come to work for us at Castle Street, but I left the area in 1975? Was it a case of expanding too quickly and what did JWQ actually stand for as I often wondered?

Pete.

When they had there place at Adwick le street I was told it was when you were going to get a bollocking
"JUST WAIT QUIETLEY! and it must be the truth coz the man said so :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Jackson Welby and Quinn

daf3300:
Jackson Welby and Quinn

Thank’s for that information.

Pete.

My answer was better :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

These came from fb,hope the owner dosen’t mind.
11960181_1614371162145594_8385787817891802966_n.jpg
11953198_1614377595478284_6196703277014624822_n.jpg
11999085_1614377658811611_4025142670657369691_n.jpg

GAZ70:

Mark R:
Heres an old JWQ photo, sorry its not very good quality but better than nothing, does anyone know anything about this old Merc or where the photo was taken?.

can any one tell me if these merc’s had a proper sleeper,they always looked way too narrow for a bunk :question:

Hi, I know this is a fairly old thread now. This picture could well be my Dads truck parked in cavendish Square, Swindon. His name was Pete Phillips aka laugh and a joke. He was at JWQ in the early seventies then rejoined again in the late eighties before they folded working from the Swindon depot.

He parked there quite often as he lived just along from cavendish square. Quite a few drivers of that time went to my mum and dads wedding. It’d be interesting to hear from any of you who remember him. Unfortunately cancer took him from us in 2002. I remember some of the guys when he came back in the 80’s. Geoff gale. The fitter Bomber (Keith) RIP.
I’ve got my mum on a bit of a mission To dig out some old pics. I’ll post them up in due course.

Hello all. I’ve just joined TruckNet after stumbling across a picture of the restored JWQ Scammell Crusader. My dad Fred Knights used to drive one out of the Sheerness depot in Rushenden Road. I remember the details of the Rolls Royce badge on the grill. I can’t remember the registration and I assume there was more than one Crusader in the JWQ fleet.

Dad drove for Welby’s first of all after the war and carried on with JWQ until the early 1980s until he had to stop driving through Ill health. Dad passed away in 1984 so all my JWQ memories are from tagging along in the school holidays during the 1970s. Dad’s other trucks I remember were the AECs and Mercedes.

I have my own good memories of JWQ as everyone was very friendly and there was a good vibe about the place in those days. Sadly the Sheerness depot is no more. It’s completely gone and the site cleared, like most of the industry I remember along the Rushenden Road.

It’s been great to read the JWQ thread from start to finish. Some of the names stand out such as Brian Savage and Poppe.

Hopefully I’ll find some family JWQ memoriblia to post. All the best, Phil.

SheernessPhil:
Hello all. I’ve just joined TruckNet after stumbling across a picture of the restored JWQ Scammell Crusader. My dad Fred Knights used to drive one out of the Sheerness depot in Rushenden Road. I remember the details of the Rolls Royce badge on the grill. I can’t remember the registration and I assume there was more than one Crusader in the JWQ fleet.

Dad drove for Welby’s first of all after the war and carried on with JWQ until the early 1980s until he had to stop driving through Ill health. Dad passed away in 1984 so all my JWQ memories are from tagging along in the school holidays during the 1970s. Dad’s other trucks I remember were the AECs and Mercedes.

I have my own good memories of JWQ as everyone was very friendly and there was a good vibe about the place in those days. Sadly the Sheerness depot is no more. It’s completely gone and the site cleared, like most of the industry I remember along the Rushenden Road.

It’s been great to read the JWQ thread from start to finish. Some of the names stand out such as Brian Savage and Poppe.

hello phil a quick question did your dad used to wear a trilby ?

SheernessPhil:

Thanks for your note. I had a chat with my mum and we don’t remember dad wearing a trilby hat.

hello phil I may have got it wrong about your dad wearing a trilby , I was getting mixed up with something else which did involve your dad and a trilby it seems when being chased by a car full of steel pickets s a trilby can distract car driver enough for him not to see your dads brake lights come on , he threw it out of his window then slammed on ooops , the police lectured them on driving to close lol

Hello everyone how are you all? A bit sad this “Jay Tiddly Boo” thread has dried up a bit - be nice to hear from anyone, Regards, Terry.
P.S Anyone remember a forklift driver called Alan Brown ? His brother was a driver -Ron.

At Rush Green Motors

Steve

steve were the hell did you dig that pic up from , it must have been very new as I don’t see any of my touches on it lol

daf3300:
steve were the hell did you dig that pic up from , it must have been very new as I don’t see any of my touches on it lol

E bay Paul - Newbury Show apparantly ? :smiley:

that was slightly pre the oops incident on the A5 lol , they did it about 3 times if my memory serves me correctly (not what it used to be lol),it is good to see the old girl again I lost all the pics of her when mum died

see how good you are at finding a photo, 1980 lord mayors show I pulled a trailer for Renault with the newly released fuego on it go to it Steve lol

Found this photo of you before it was loaded :smiley:

image.jpeg

Just put something about JWQ on the Kent thread.