Just when you think you've seen it all. bang

:smiling_imp:

just another one too add too the list.
en route too birminghams millenium point today, i got stuck in the normal monday start stop crawl. i was on the m6, at junction 2 northbound, creeping along in low range, in the middle lane.
traffic starts too pick up, when all of a sudden, the car in front just stopped dead, no warning, just stopped dead. so, i had too get on the breaks quick, but stopped ok, with about a cars length between us. he sat there, looked like he was messing with something in the car, then, reverse lights come on, and he just steamed, straight back, at quite a speed, bang, straight into the front of my truck :open_mouth: a 55 plate, daf super space cab.
so i get out, walk too his window, where he and his passenger are still fiddling with the dash, i managed too get him too open the door, and said, we need too get over on the hard shoulder, as we are causing chaos, blocking the middle lane.
so there we are swapping details, turns out,its a hire car, with an auto box, that he hasnā€™t come too terms with, hence the collision :unamused:
next thing you know, 3 traffic police cars and an ambulance arrive, (very swiftly too) we hadnā€™t called them, must have been a passer by, once they realised we were ok, all but 1 traffic car disapreared. the 2 coppers that stayed, asked what happened, so i explained. all of a sudden, matey pipes up, that he doesnā€™t think he reversed into me, and canā€™t remember what happened :imp: :imp:
i did ask him in front of the officers, exactly what part of reversing in too me he didnā€™t bloody rememberā– ā– ? iā€™m now getting a tad irate, so the police sort of chat with us separately, i explain that iā€™m seriously peeā€™d off, that through no fault of my own, this guy is gonna go home, fill his form out, and claim i hit him from behind :imp: :imp: :imp: . the officer seems too be thinking along the same lines, and suggests an idea.
he said we should both write down, and sign, our version of events, i had no problem with this, the other guy, (mr forgetful) writes the following, ā€œiā€™m confused too as what happened, i was in a rental car, that i was unfamilar with, and may have selected reverse by accident, but think i was stationery at the timeā€ now although its not an admission of guilt, the officer seems too think it goes pretty well in my favour, especially as its timed, dated and signed, by mr confused, myself, and the officer, i also have incident number etc.
be interesting too see what happens next.

btw, the police were exellent. ridiculous thing is, my trucks bumper, (the steel lower one) is now seriously outta shape, and yet his hire car, a peugeot 307cc had nothing but a big scuff mark, across the top of the bumper, i was shocked really.

I think the damage will tell the truth, we all know what kinda damage a truck do to a car especially if the brakes were not applied to stop it.

there is nothing but air behind those peugeot bumpers 2screws either side & a bracket in the centre under the boot floor which is now prabably bent.

Did you take pics at the time.

didnā€™t have a camera with me, but noted on the documents we swapped.

i have too be in brum for 9am, with some flash toilets, (i kid you not)
the address is millenium point, birmingham

Well I hope you donā€™t end up taking the crap for this too :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you ask if there was any CCTV footage of the incident?

Sorry to hear about that mate.

Its always a real inconvenience and I really do wonder sometimes how these people can make barefaced lies in front of the police.

Best of luck with it being sorted out, hope the boss didnā€™t hit you too hard, keep us updated with how it goes!

Alex

A definite case for the SOCOs.

If you had hit him with his brakes on, there would be scuffing on the road surface showing how you pushed him forwards with the wheels locked (a scuff mark running in the same direction of travel as the motorway traffic, with a build-up of gravel at the front edge of the tyres.

If he ran back into you, itā€™s unlikely that there will be any marks under your tyres, although depending on how hard he hit you, his drive wheel(s) might have spun, leaving some scuffing underneath without the gravel at the end of the marks (since that would be ejected by the spinning wheel).

wheelnutā€¦nice 1 :wink:

hammerā€¦did think bout this earlier, may give the number the police gave me earlier a ring, too see if i can look into this, good thought, thanks.

scarbā€¦yeah, its a real bummer, if iā€™d hit him, iā€™d have held my hands up, but you know heā€™s gonna try and squirm out of this 1. iā€™ll keep you posted

I was along there myself today, shame not at the same time.

Could have had the Essex boys on it. :laughing:

I donā€™t think you should have any problem. :slight_smile:

I would suggest in any future statements you make that you highlight the fact that you were driving a truck you are totally familiar with. :wink:

He is confused, unfamiliar. Well you are not :exclamation:

I think the worst you can expect is a 50/50 and remember you can call the police as witness if it goes to court. :bulb:

Best of luck :smiley:

Hopefully work out but ive little faith in insurance companies without witnesses. Most likely to go 50/50.

My mum was parked on day and a recovery truck reversed into her car. Driver admited full liability at the scene. Then few days later claiming my mum drove into him. Insurance companies wanting to go 50/50, just pure luck my mum was down the street and this couple said hope everything worked out with your car. They had seen what had happend and when they found out the recovery truck driver was trying to claim my mum drove into him, they contacted the insurance company and it got sorted out.

My car was parked outside my house 7pm sunny summers night, women texting drove into my parked car. Got a letter from her insurane company, saying i had stoped parked illegally, she couldnt see my car because the car was black, it was a dark night and wet road conditions had caused the crash.

Called up insurance company, some smart arse saying i am in someway to blame. Told the guy the car was parked legally, i wasnt even in the car was sitting in my front garden, asked how come it was dark at 7pm in June and to check the weather reports it was a sunny day had been that whole week so impossible the road was wet. Finally i said ive about 10 witnesses from my area who were out in their gardens when it happend. Called back 10mins accepting full liabilty.

good news all. :smiley:

the company that mr vague works for contacted our office today, and informed us too get the repairs done too my truck, send them the bill, and they will cover all the costs :open_mouth:

really happy with this outcome, even though it is the right one, just a little surprised its been resolved this quick and easy.

thanks all for your posts, some useful info their for future reference.

Very good news indeed!

The only outcome that would be acceptable really isnā€™t it!
But brilliant it has come so quickly.

Alex

how difficult is a auto car to drive , never drove one but a auto trucks fairly straight forward so how hards a car, wouldnt you have a play and make sure you know what your doing before you leave the hire place :confused: :confused:

some people who arenā€™t used to auto cars do have problems with them, thatā€™s why you quite often (especially in u.s.a) see stories of them flying off multi storey car parks, in swimming pools & thruā€™ the back of garages.

As for a passer by calling the fuzz, you can just imagine the call canā€™t you? Them having just noticed chilisā€™ truck buried in the back of a car! :unamused: :unamused:

I had an auto car for awhile a Golf VR6 pretty straight forward to drive.

Park
Reverese
Neutural
Drive
D2
D1

To go from Neutral into reverse would involve putting your foot on the brake wouldnt just slip in.

Infact most of the time never need to use anything but Drive if your going forward, D2 if you wanted warp speed.

I have an automatic car and itā€™s even easier.

Lever forward - forwards.
Lever backwards - reverse.

Still didnā€™t stop the old biddy that had it before me hitting a concrete bollard.