Just wanted to say Hi to everyone

Hi peeps my name is Alex and I’m from Dallas Texas, been driving the big 18 wheelers(lorries arctic) for 10 years but since moving to the UK a year a ago i haven’t been able to do what i love the most other than my wife no more which is drive the big trucks as i don’t have my LGV licence as of yet, i have enroll myself into a school or training centre call 1st class trucking based in enfield near london it cost me £2500 and i look forward to continuing my career as a truck driver in the UK, i would like to ask you guys for advice on a few things, i know is very different driving lorries here than it is across the pond, i always thought if i can drive a massive 18 wheeler over there in be able to deliver in the crowded little streets of new york city or the Bronx and Brooklyn i can definitely drive a lorry here since they are a lot smaller over here, i would like to know if they are truck stops all across the UK or if we are only limited to park at service plazas, also can someone tell me how does the pay is over here as far as driving at night or if i will only get pay for all the hrs i actually drive even though some nights i will be sleeping away from home, back in the US of A we truck drivers get paid by the mile so the more miles we drive the bigger the paycheck is but i heard here is by the hr so can i get some feedback on this, last question for now, can you the more season or advance drivers not the rookies please tell me or give me an idea of some good companies that i can have a look into maybe driving for them in the Buckinghamshire area as i live in High Wycombe, i would love to find a good company once i get my licence that will keep me out on the road no more than maybe 3-4 days and then come home to my wife and family, thank you so much for the help and info i will get from you lot…remember drive safe out there and keep on trucking whoop whoop hahaha :smiley:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome YANKTRUCKERINUK :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which starts on 10 Sept 2009.
Now then… regarding this INITIAL… I have callled the DSA Driver CPC people and they have never been asked this question in relation to your situation so I am awaiting a reply which I will post when they get back to me.

At present, there are generally more drivers than jobs in the UK but you do have experience on your side

One thing I would be interested in - what is the process you went through to get your Semi licence as I’m sure it differs from the way we do it in the UK :question:

Are you also a member on the big sister US site to this one - truck.net :question:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

ROG:
. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome YANKTRUCKERINUK :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Now then… regarding this INITIAL… I have callled the DSA Driver CPC people and they have never been asked this question in relation to your situation so I am awaiting a reply which I will post when they get back to me.

At present, there are generally more drivers than jobs in the UK but you do have experience on your side

One thing I would be interested in - what is the process you went through to get your Semi licence as I’m sure it differs from the way we do it in the UK :question:

Are you also a member on the big sister US site to this one - truck.net :question:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

thank you for answering to my post and thank you for asking me this questions, here it goes: as far as me being on that sister site in the US no i’m not, just stumble onto this one by serching the web since i live here now, as far as your question about the process to get the semi licence in the US it is a lot easier than here because we have companies there that will pay for your training as long as you stay working for them for 1 year, the training is 2 weeks and then you go with a company trainer for 1 month before they let you go out on your own rig…
well i have started my process in the UK so just booked for my medical test next monday and then will send for the provicional, i’m hoping to be driving the big arctic lorries by x-mas

The US way does seem better than the one we do in the UK :exclamation:

ROG:

I have got the answer - you WILL have to do all 4 modules -

Module 1a theory questions - multiple choice - LGV THEORY BOOK
Module 1b HPT - HPT DVD
Module 2 Initial driver cpc theory - senario questions - multiple choice INITIAL DRIVER CPC BOOK
Module 3 practicle drive - Training for this by LGV school.
Module 4 Initial driver cpc - practical on site (no driving) - Training for this by LGV school.

Both 1a & 1b must be passed before taking 3
2 must be passed before taking 4

1a, 1b & 2 done at theory test centre - BOOK YOUR OWN THEORY TESTS
3 & 4 done at LGV driving test centre

Modules 2 & 4 not needed if got C1 on licence

Modules 1a, 1b & 3 to get the LGV LICENCE
Modules 2 & 4 to be allowed to drive LGVs commercially

You do not have to do all the modules with the same training provider.
You may find that it is cheaper to shop around for the best deal for each module

A worthwhile investment ?

I assume you already know that you must pass the C (rigid, sorry - straight) before you can go for the CE (artic, sorry again - semi) :question: :question:

I don’t know what anyone else thinks about this but for a driver with this experience it does seem a bit over-the-top.

From a purely personal perspective, I would be happy with such a driver doing a theory test that confirms they know the rules of the UK highways and then for them to go immediately for a CE test - what does anyone else think :question:

thanx again for writing, yeah i know the whole process is crazy, the company i paid the £ 2500 to yesterday i actually went there in person to have a look for myself and also to know who i was dealing with, the total cost of the training includes all the tests and modules that i need to be able to get all my qualifications as a driver in the UK and be able to get back on the road, i paid for the CPC thing and some tacho classes all included in the price, and yes i agree with you that i think it is very stupid to have to take two test in order to drive a arctic over here, why on earth do i need to waste my time taking a test and spending loads of money on driving a straight truck or rigid like you call it if i’m not going to drive one of those for a living, i have been driving the big rigs( tractor-trailer) for 10 years, i should just be able to take the test and get my licence without having to go through the whole process but what can i do, i have to do whatever it is required so i can be happy again in the UK and the only way i can be happy is by keeping on trucking, so if i have to take 50 test to get that LGV licence here in the UK oh well i guess i will have to do that but i’m really looking forward to getting back into a truck, you have no idea how i feel everytime i see the lorries on the M40 or anywhere and i just feel like ■■■■ because i’m doing some ■■■■■■■■ job at the moment(security officer) that it is not driving a lorry… i miss it so much but thank GOD my one love for trucking will come my way once again very soon…cheers

About 2 years ago I taught an Australian ‘road train’ driver through their C and CE.

The biggest problem he had was adjusting to the ‘procedural’ way that the DSA want in order to pass the tests.

This Aussie trucker could drive everywhere very safely at all times and put an artic into the tightest of places with seemingly no effort but the DSA procedures really got to him!!

He struggled greatly with those procedures and in the end had to get into a ‘mindset’ that he had to forget being an experienced trucker - that worked :smiley:

hahaha Rog i know what you mean bro, i sure as hell will do everything that it takes to do it their way just as long as i get my licence, and after i get my licence i will go back to my old and own ways of doing things, as we all know you can’t never teach an old dog new tricks :smiley:

Welcome :smiley:

C-Kay:
Welcome :smiley:

thanx a lot for the welcome part…cheers and hope that you and yours have a great week :smiley:

Welcome yanky trucker it will be interesting to hear how you find working in the UK when you get set up with a licence.

Sure it will be a culture shock compared to the way things are done in the US. Somthings maybe better, something prob worse.

The 56mph speed limiter will do your head in, thats for sure. It does mine in and i’m used to it.

Kenny1975:
Welcome yanky trucker it will be interesting to hear how you find working in the UK when you get set up with a licence.

Sure it will be a culture shock compared to the way things are done in the US. Somthings maybe better, something prob worse.

The 56mph speed limiter will do your head in, thats for sure. It does mine in and i’m used to it.

hahaha yeah i’m sure going 56 on the motorway will get on my nerves but i’m just trying to keep a possitive way of thinking and that is as long as i’m trucking again and making money i will be happy

Kenny1975:

I thought the States had a blanket 55mph speed limit - perhaps I watch too many Yank movies :exclamation:

ROG:

Kenny1975:

I thought the States had a blanket 55mph speed limit - perhaps I watch too many Yank movies :exclamation:

Or perhaps you have too many blankets. :laughing: :wink:

BTW, our American friend will find that the European version of ‘Hazmat’ is very different to the USA version. :open_mouth:

ROG:

Kenny1975:

there is only 4 states that makes the trucks do 55 mph, all the rest of them are 70 with a few that are 75mph in the midwest and 4 or 5 that are 65mph, hope that answer your question

YANKTRUCKERINUK:
hope that answer your question

Yes it does - thank you :smiley: