Just Stop Oil

Carryfast:
Which is why I’ve liquidated as much of the equity in it as possible to maintain it and to meet living costs.The bank then takes what it’s owed when I’m dead.

You’ll be in some serious negative equity by the end of 2023 then. According to the Nationwide, prices are already down by 3.7% since August 2022 and the interest rate rises haven’t really started to feed through yet. With 100,000 people a month coming off of fixed rate mortgages and at the very least another 0.5% rise to come there is likely to be a huge collapse in property values just around the corner.

Harry Monk:

stu675:
Don’t they have nighttime in the desert?
Maybe 12 hrs a day would be an approximation of the absolute max.

It always pays to read the whole thread before posting.

“When fully constructed, the project will cover an area three times the size of Manhattan. Hundreds of thousands of parabolic mirrors will be arranged to direct the intense Saharan sun at CSP towers reaching as tall as 200m. Heat will be stored in molten salts that run through these towers, heating steam to turn turbines but also, as the salt can hold heat for hours, power can be generated long after the sun stops shining”.

power-technology.com/featur … ry-europe/

Thanks for the extra clarification. I had actually written that this morning, but when I looked again I hadn’t pressed send.

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:
Which is why I’ve liquidated as much of the equity in it as possible to maintain it and to meet living costs.The bank then takes what it’s owed when I’m dead.

You’ll be in some serious negative equity by the end of 2023 then. According to the Nationwide, prices are already down by 3.7% since August 2022 and the interest rate rises haven’t really started to feed through yet. With 100,000 people a month coming off of fixed rate mortgages and at the very least another 0.5% rise to come there is likely to be a huge collapse in property values just around the corner.

You do know how a lifetime equity release mortgage works.They only lend around 25% of the value of the place max, at a fixed compounding rate of interest and I won’t be around to care when it’s due for payment and the borrower isn’t liable for any negative equity as part of that.Nor is it based on short term fluctuations in the housing market.
In which it’s clear that the government is trying to talk down house prices in the face of high inflation.Which is not only an oxymoron it defies common sense that borrowers are going to all rush to sell in such a market.
A bit like no one with any sense is going to trade their gas boiler for an electric one.

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

I’m guessing he’s got an equity release mortgage with the interest rolled up until he enters a care home or dies. So there will be nothing to show for the house his parents bought and he has squandered away.

stu675:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

I’m guessing he’s got an equity release mortgage with the interest rolled up until he enters a care home or dies. So there will be nothing to show for the house his parents bought and he has squandered away.

Define ‘something to show’ and ‘squandered’.When I’m the last and only of their line and I contributed to buying it and now I need that cash to live on and to maintain it and it will no longer matter to them or me when it’s liquidated.
While squandered is obviously the definition of Switch’s idea of throwing it all away by downsizing it to buy and live in a shed in Wales.
All to minimise my ‘carbon footprint’ with a fan heater and an electric water heater to meet the demands of those who believe that CO2 cooked Venus but also froze Mars.

Carryfast:

stu675:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

Define ‘something to show’ and ‘squandered’.When I’m the last and only of their line and I contributed to buying it and now I need that cash to live on and to maintain it and it will no longer matter to them or me when it’s liquidated.
While squandered is obviously the definition of Switch’s idea of throwing it all away by downsizing it to buy and live in a shed in Wales.
All to minimise my ‘carbon footprint’ with a fan heater and an electric water heater to meet the demands of those who believe that CO2 cooked Venus but also froze Mars.

Ah yes because selling a semi in Surrey and buying potentially hundreds of acres of farm in Wales is a terrible downsize. I do feel a little sad for you. You’ve never taken a single chance in your life and I think the fact is now coming down to bare on you as you trudge towards death, as we all do. :smiley: My parents upped sticks from a comfortable house in Oxfordshire and came to West Wales for a cottage that had no central heating at time only a coal fire and it was tough at first, esp with 3 young children but you know what…….turned out to be the most amazing thing they could ever have done for us. Take a chance for first time in your life, you might actually do something fun, I know that’s fairly unlikely but we can but hope x

switchlogic:
Ah yes because selling a semi in Surrey and buying potentially hundreds of acres of farm in Wales is a terrible downsize. I do feel a little sad for you. You’ve never taken a single chance in your life and I think the fact is now coming down to bare on you as you trudge towards death, as we all do. :smiley: My parents upped sticks from a comfortable house in Oxfordshire and came to West Wales for a cottage that had no central heating at time only a coal fire and it was tough at first, esp with 3 young children but you know what…….turned out to be the most amazing thing they could ever have done for us. Take a chance for first time in your life, you might actually do something fun, I know that’s fairly unlikely but we can but hope x

I really don’t get the connection you’re trying to make.
The problem is a bunch of politically motivated zealots wanting me to replace my affordable fossil fuel based domestic and transport fuel requirement with an unaffordable all electric one.
To meet their personal deluded view that planet Earth has a CO2 problem.
Why would I want to downsize my house by replacing it with a small primitive Welsh cottage and a needless large Welsh field or 3.
All to meet their personal perceived aims regarding lowering my supposed carbon footprint.
Although my guess is that luckily I’m old enough, with not enough years left, to need to bother about it, when it kicks in with a vengeance around 2035.
I guess l’ll still be able to use my gas boiler and drive a petrol car up to then.
If I ever do decide to move before then it will more likely be to escape yet more expansion of London’s urban sprawl and government and like now it’s more likely that the semi in Surrey will actually only buy similar, but detached, in Shropshire or Linc’s, in a relatively more rural setting and with a bit larger garden.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

I really don’t get the connection you’re trying to make.
The problem is a bunch of politically motivated zealots wanting me to replace my affordable fossil fuel based domestic and transport fuel requirement with an unaffordable all electric one.
To meet their personal deluded view that planet Earth has a CO2 problem.
Why would I want to downsize my house by replacing it with a small primitive Welsh cottage and a needless large Welsh field or 3.
All to meet their personal perceived aims regarding lowering my supposed carbon footprint.
Although my guess is that luckily I’m old enough, with not enough years left, to need to bother about it, when it kicks in with a vengeance around 2035.
I guess l’ll still be able to use my gas boiler and drive a petrol car up to then.
If I ever do decide to move before then it will more likely be to escape yet more expansion of London’s urban sprawl and government and like now it’s more likely that the semi in Surrey will actually only buy similar, but detached, in Shropshire or Linc’s, in a relatively more rural setting and with a bit larger garden.

It’s a connection you made, not me. I’m not on a crusade, I leave that to likes of you. What you do with your money is your choice, I’m just making conversation. Your individual choices just like mine as a fellow perpetually single childless weirdo aren’t remotely important in the grand scheme of things. Also funny to realise you’ve never actually been to Wales have you?

switchlogic:
Also funny to realise you’ve never actually been to Wales have you?

Where did you get that idea.One of my favourite family holidays as a child ( in UK ) was a road trip to Wales.We went to the South first then North to Portmadoch.
Been there a few times since because I like the coast and Snowdonia.Also ironically done quite a few car deliveries very recently in the Rhonda area.
However I think Shropshire provides the best of all worlds between what I like about Surrey IE a nice balance regarding development and countryside.While Lincolnshire is a paternal ancestral home that I hadn’t ever been to until relatively recently for some Motorsport events at Cadwell and strangely I really did feel at home there.
It’s anyone’s guess what that has to do with a bunch of zealots saying that I have to rip out my gas boiler and cooker and drive an electric toy car at 50p per kWh for the privilege.
Thereby also turning the place into a nuked, treeless, solar panel covered wasteland, because they believe that CO2 cooked Venus and it will cook Earth, because Carl Sagan said so.

Don’t you dare!!!

Lincolnshire is doing just fine thank you.

the maoster:
Don’t you dare!!!

At least until Harry covers it all in solar panels not because he thinks that CO2 will cook the planet.But because he thinks that all the oil and gas might run out in a few centuries’ time.
If he doesn’t succeed then the climate scammers will.

the maoster:
Don’t you dare!!!

Who would have thought it.

lincolnshiretoday.net/mag/solar … s-council/

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
Also funny to realise you’ve never actually been to Wales have you?

Where did you get that idea.One of my favourite family holidays as a child ( in UK ) was a road trip to Wales.We went to the South first then North to Portmadoch.
Been there a few times since because I like the coast and Snowdonia.Also ironically done quite a few car deliveries very recently in the Rhonda area.
However I think Shropshire provides the best of all worlds between what I like about Surrey IE a nice balance regarding development and countryside.While Lincolnshire is a paternal ancestral home that I hadn’t ever been to until relatively recently for some Motorsport events at Cadwell and strangely I really did feel at home there.
It’s anyone’s guess what that has to do with a bunch of zealots saying that I have to rip out my gas boiler and cooker and drive an electric toy car at 50p per kWh for the privilege.
Thereby also turning the place into a nuked, treeless, solar panel covered wasteland, because they believe that CO2 cooked Venus and it will cook Earth, because Carl Sagan said so.

Ah yes Port Madoch, I know it well :smiley:

switchlogic:
[

To be fair there’s a lot of funny sounding /difficult spelling places in Wales.

But he could have tried harder with that! [emoji23]

stu675:

switchlogic:
[

To be fair there’s a lot of funny sounding /difficult spelling places in Wales.

But he could have tried harder with that! [emoji23]

Like the village I’m from- Llanfihangel ar arth :smiley: