Just seddon Atkinsons

Hello All,
Does anyone know of a 400 / 401 for sale ? Sleeper preferred and restored condition.
Any engine as i am well used to them all. Thank You

gandy:
Does anyone know of a 400 / 401 for sale ? Sleeper preferred and restored condition.
Any engine as i am well used to them all. Thank You

One here but its a day cab £3800 Seddon Atkinson 400 Series for sale
Ooops just seen it’s in Malta. :blush:

Dixons of Derby I knew 2 good drivers who used to work for them Pat McGrory and Bob Beeton (RIP)
Also a good mate of mine Ian used to work in the garage

Not a very good pic but a smart Wagon in a classic fleet.

Here I am tipping at Allied Steel, Tremorfa Works, Cardiff, you had to park like this to let the internal traffic, tippers etc pass. Nice run that was, days & nights, start at 6am/pm loaded at Didcot, down to Cardiif, tip, back to Didcot, load a couple of trailers & go home :smiley:. Chris

Seddon Atkinson 400 Series 4X2 tractor unit Reg No CTC 803W was originally registered new to Wilkinsons Parcels of Rochdale in September 1980.
After the resulting accident W & J Riding bought the wreck and after a complete rebuild it became Fleet No 2 ‘Knight of the Thistle’ in the Riding fleet.

Managing director Tom Riding recalls…
" I went down to Translitre of Burton on Trent to look at two smashed up tractor units.
I checked out CTC 803W, pictured above, as best i could and convinced myself that the bell-housing wasn’t broken so
the crank should be ok and not bent.
On the 8th of June 1983 at a cost of £3,000 plus vat we brought it home to Longridge and spent £5,093 on parts to sort it out.

The rebuilt unit, pictured below, was allocated to Mick Spencer and it remained in service with us for six years, until the 1st August 1989, when it was sold on to a Mr Harrison of Bury for £2,700 plus vat.
These standard Seddon Atkinson tractor units with the E290 ■■■■■■■ engine, Fuller gearbox and Rockwell axles were excellent vehicles".

Fergie47:
Anecdote on Seddon Atkinson …When I worked in a dealership for S.A. if ever we had a problem they were just a phone call way.

As an example…BP / Shell ran some S.A, one came in for us to look at as the drivers window would go up and down on it’s own when it rained. Water ingress through the window rubber shorting out the switch in the arm rest…Phoned S.A. engineering ( 10.00am ) “leave it with us” that afternoon got a call, “we’ve fixed it, move the switch to the roof consul…we’ll sent some mods down tomorrow morning by courier” Motorbike arrived 8.00am, by 9.00am it was sorted…that was when it was S.A., When IVECO took over the whole thing went ■■■■ up, you could no longer speak to anyone at the factory…downhill from there …really felt for the engineers and the staff at SA who did a fantastic job, they all knew under IVECO it wasn’t going to last…

In some ways this also demonstrates what was wrong with the UK truck industry, Seddon Atkinson design a cab interior to have the window switch on the arm rest, but because the fundamentals are wrong (keeping rainwater on the outside) they modify the switch position not sort out the water ingress problem, and you have to ask, given they managed to diagnose the fault, come up with the modification and manufacture it and then get it couriered in less tan 24 hours, did they already know of the problem, but like all manufacturers came up with the “We’ve never experienced this before” statement.

The other point is if this was the first time they heard of it, would they have committed the same amount of effort if it had been a small operator with one or two trucks that they did for BP / Shell?

I remember in the late 70s we got a new workshop forman who was an ex SA dealer workshop forman, he would regale us with stories of robbing parts from New (unsold) vehicles and second hand ones because SA were unable to supply.

Taken circa 1980 at the Seddon factory in Oldham. Apologies for the quality of the pictures!

Miles Fox of Clitheroe Lancashire

Corner my 400 like that Miles Fox one and the next job would be replacing a nearside spring! They snapped like carrots. :unamused:

Pete.

Ah, memories, The Miles Fox 400 RBV, i delivered to his old yard on Duck Steet with damage !!! We supplied it with no body but the
tipping gear fitted, A59 at Mellor Brook had a very sharp bend around the pub, i had not been on that road before, braked very hard
for the bend…bang, tipping gear flew forward and dented the back of the cab. Don,t worry lad said Mr Fox, it,s going for paint,
he made me a cup of tea and wrote a cheque out there and then. Made me very popular back at the office !!!

RBV 437T and DBV 216S was the other Wagon Miles had at the time I started as a Saturday lad, washing and greasing. Both had Garstang bodies fitted (now GTB) both worked out of Bankfield Clitheroe, but RBV also worked out of Wimpy Leapers quarry (now Tarmac’s). Gardener 180 engines. RBV then had greedy boards fitted for carrying coal around the time of the Miners strike and went on distance work. The cab had a pulldown plywood bunk fitted.DBV stopped local, All in all I think both trucks worked until the early 1990s then the body’s where then swapped onto other trucks. The old yard is now Tescos in Clitheroe.

tarmactipper:
RBV 437T and DBV 216S was the other Wagon Miles had at the time I started as a Saturday lad, washing and greasing. Both had Garstang bodies fitted (now GTB) both worked out of Bankfield Clitheroe, but RBV also worked out of Wimpy Leapers quarry (now Tarmac’s). Gardener 180 engines. RBV then had greedy boards fitted for carrying coal around the time of the Miners strike and went on distance work. The cab had a pulldown plywood bunk fitted.DBV stopped local, All in all I think both trucks worked until the early 1990s then the body’s where then swapped onto other trucks. The old yard is now Tescos in Clitheroe.

Was the Garstang bodies you refer to a Grisedale body or a Cravens Tasker ? Cheers Bewick.

Sorry yes a Grisdale body, Miles swore by them, both RBV and DBV had them fitted to them from new and both outlasted the trucks.

B. Barnes & Sons Ltd of Rawrtenstall

Looking for any Photos of a Tarmac 311 6 wheeler Sed Atki Reg F52EMB. I drove this for a local lad out of Bankfield. 250 L10 ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ box, rubber suspension.

It would appear that Janet Ellis (once of Blue Peter, and mum to singer Sophie Ellis-Bextor) was a fan of Sed-Ak’s as well? :wink: Not my pic. She probably looks more attractive in the driving seat than I ever did in mine! :blush:

ellisj006.jpg

Pete.

Seddon Atkinson Oldham Factory.jpgBrand new parked outside the Seddon Atkinson factory in Oldham.

Wonder what company got that one, nice cab the Strato preferred it to the DAF 95 but liked my 401 better, best bed I ever slept in. Franky.