Just passed my class 2 - should I go agency?

Hi all

As you can gather I’ve just passed my class 2 last Monday, it was my second attempt but I got it this time and I’m really pleased.

Right now I’m waiting for my licence and tachograph card to arrive but I’ve been wondering what my next step should be.
I know right now my biggest hurdle will be my lack of experience so I’m thinking (and what most people are recommending) is that I join a few agency’s, I’ll be doing all the work no one else wants to do but I’ll be driving and gaining experience.

I just wanted to what you lot thought, should I join a bunch of agency’s or wait a few weeks/months until I find a full-time job?

TruckingShane:
Hi all

As you can gather I’ve just passed my class 2 last Monday, it was my second attempt but I got it this time and I’m really pleased.

Right now I’m waiting for my licence and tachograph card to arrive but I’ve been wondering what my next step should be.
I know right now my biggest hurdle will be my lack of experience so I’m thinking (and what most people are recommending) is that I join a few agency’s, I’ll be doing all the work no one else wants to do but I’ll be driving and gaining experience.

I just wanted to what you lot thought, should I join a bunch of agency’s or wait a few weeks/months until I find a full-time job?

When I pass my test (I’m going straight for class 1) I’m just going to sign up to every agency within a 50 mile radius and take almost any job that comes my way. My main priority is going to be getting my foot in the door so I can at least get some experience before trying to land one of the better jobs.

Some people have been able to land £35,000 a year full time jobs right from the get go but I think it would be silly to pass up other lesser opportunities in the hopes of one of the better opportunities falling in your lap. You can always apply for these better jobs while working for the agency.

Join an agency. You’ll walk into a job, especially as we’re now entering the xmas rush, and that could lead to something permanent down the line. And the money for agency work this time of year goes sky high!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

PASSING C.jpg

Congratulations on passing your test!

I was planning on joining agencies but I visited local haulage companies face to face and got lucky with a job at one of those. It suits me because it is full time, guarenteed work, the same start/finish times, etc. I think the stability was good because it allowed me to get used to 1 wagon and get used to the job.

It’s all a bit overwhelming at first but I can imagine going from pillar to post with agencies would’ve been a lot more stressful for me.

That’s just my opinion. Like I said, I think I was lucky.

Hayley

Hayley293:

I was planning on joining agencies but I visited local haulage companies face to face and got lucky with a job at one of those. It suits me because it is full time, guarenteed work, the same start/finish times, etc. I think the stability was good because it allowed me to get used to 1 wagon and get used to the job.

It’s all a bit overwhelming at first but I can imagine going from pillar to post with agencies would’ve been a lot more stressful for me.

Hayley

Whilst many folk may say try agency work I have found as Hayley says ‘going from pillar to post’. You’ll be told it’s a ‘temp-to-perm’ post but never is - may last a day, a week, sometimes 11 weeks and then - they’ve received a complaint… they haven’t in my experience but it’s zero hours and you are gone. Odd day here and there you may not get paid! If the agency is a member of the REC (Recruitment Employment Confederation) one can complain and the association will support you. I was paid the holiday pay by Driver Hire (Wisbech) and then eventually got the £550 owed. No agencies like to adopt the legislation that the previous Labour party introduced in that as an employer they have to offer annual statutory entitlement. When you ask for leave - it’s zero hours and the end of that job.

In year I did gain experience; skip trucks, 8W, 12T/14T, dustcart, 26T - but any employer knows it is only short term experience and doesn’t account for much. As Hayley found much better to get a permanent job along with training and your own truck. Having your own truck to get used to will aid you driving skills. I had a job for a year with my own truck and found I got so used to her I preferred driving her even to my own car. A dustcart is great experience as you will have to manoeuvre a 26T into places you would never have thought you could with an excellent lock and true autobox. But because they are dirty no one wants to drive them… also come with early morning entertainment… due to the contents rodents like to chew through the wiring (LOL).

Agencies also like to claim that they pay you what the company pay and they charge a service fee on top (£5-£10 per hour). In my area I noticed how rates always seemed to be £8-£8.50 per hour. One job I had in fact paid staff £11.77 and I was paid £8.50 per hour. agencies are only interested in themselves and I would advise you to stay clear if you possibly can.

There are honest ones and they will give you job background. For instance the likes of DX and DHL will get a new contract and if it is for 6 month or a year - will tell you so I found. If you like variety and want different opportunities on offer do some research first and find out who is fair to work for. Beware of their advertisements - respond to an advert and you may well find that the job never existed.

To answer your question “should I go agency” - my view definitely not. You are more likely to have a bump in the first few weeks and then that’s on your record. I’ve just got CE and started this week with a firm… a days reversing practice and supervised driving for the next couple of weeks. “Reversing practice” - preparation for their clients’ premises… for me straight into reversing on a curve and blind reversing - essential skills for CE. Professional induction and support so one doesn’t make mistakes.