Just passed my Class 1 and looking for work!

Passed my Class 1 a few weeks ago. Now I’m looking to find a firm (in the Southampton region) who take on inexperienced drivers to give them a shot? I’ve been driving 32T tippers for the past few months but couldn’t stop myself from going for the Class 1. Only downside is… I’m only 19! But 20 in May if that’s any consolation!

Maybe some of the experienced drivers on here work or have worked for companies who take on new drivers?? :laughing:

Hi Tom, I wish you well mate, but to be honest I think you,ll
be struggling because of your age. Most companies prefer drivers both
with experience and 25 or over.
All I can suggest is try for agencies…good luck anyway and keep us posted.

TomJaves:
Passed my Class 1 a few weeks ago. Now I’m looking to find a firm (in the Southampton region) who take on inexperienced drivers to give them a shot? I’ve been driving 32T tippers for the past few months but couldn’t stop myself from going for the Class 1. Only downside is… I’m only 19! But 20 in May if that’s any consolation!

Maybe some of the experienced drivers on here work or have worked for companies who take on new drivers?? :laughing:

For what it’s worth - and I’m a bit out of touch with current practise - try dressing up in smart casual, and visiting hauliers in person. It makes all the difference in the world. Look 'em in the eye, be honest about what you can do and what you can’t do (but want to learn to do). That way they can assess a real person in real time. If you can afford to do it, volunteer to undertake casual or part-time work and get your foot in the door. That works wonders! Good luck, mate! Robert :slight_smile:

robert1952:

TomJaves:

For what it’s worth - and I’m a bit out of touch with current practise - try dressing up in smart casual, and visiting hauliers in person. It makes all the difference in the world. Look 'em in the eye, be honest about what you can do and what you can’t do (but want to learn to do). That way they can assess a real person in real time. If you can afford to do it, volunteer to undertake casual or part-time work and get your foot in the door. That works wonders! Good luck, mate! Robert :slight_smile:

I totally agree ^ !
That’s always the best way, an e- mail can get deleted a letter can get put to the back of the pile, but in person there’s always the chance of being in the right place at the right time ! Good luck pal :grimacing:

gunnerheskey:

robert1952:

TomJaves:

I totally agree ^ !
That’s always the best way, an e- mail can get deleted a letter can get put to the back of the pile, but in person there’s always the chance of being in the right place at the right time ! Good luck pal :grimacing:

Very good advice indeed, Go for it , & good luck , Regards Larry.

not sure how it works but could your age be a problem for insurance purposes? might be too expensive to have you put on the company insurance.

The guys before have said it all. You impress me by using this forum for the kind of advice you will get nowhere else or for nowt.
Stick with it and good luck for the future and please keep this thread going so us old boys can follow your progress and maybe learn something new.
Jim.

Lawrence Dunbar:

gunnerheskey:

robert1952:

TomJaves:

I totally agree ^ !

Top advice and don’t despair,take your time.Good Luck.Mike. :slight_smile:

Lawrence Dunbar:

gunnerheskey:

robert1952:

TomJaves:

I totally agree ^ !

Having just got out at the other end- retired three years ago- may I wish you all the best, matey. As others have said, you may find that, even if hauliers are willing to give you a shot, their insurers may put a dampener on it. Don’t give up, have patience and it will all come right in the end.

Buy the lad a Foden, Larry!

If you can get a CV done and print a few off , take them round the hauliers with you and leave one with them , you never know they will remember you if you present yourself and your CV in a proffecional manner . Good luck pal .

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. As for insurance I know it’s a big issue but it’s not so much the age that’s the problem it’s the high excess they have to pay in the unfortunate event of an accident. The tipper firm I currently drive for paid out thousands just to put me on the insurance but they did it because they wanted to give me a chance which I am very grateful for I am just looking to find a company with a similar attitude towards young drivers.

I have been offered a driving assessment and interview at Roadways in Southampton as I applied with them online. Not too sure they know how hold I am and the fact I have only just passed my test… oh well, we will just see what happens when I go down there on Tuesday! :laughing:

mappo:
Hi Tom, I wish you well mate, but to be honest I think you,ll
be struggling because of your age. Most companies prefer drivers both
with experience and 25 or over.
All I can suggest is try for agencies…good luck anyway and keep us posted.

Mappo I thought you of all people would have come up with a better suggestion than agency work, now what I thunk you would have advised him to go and see Horry and at the end of the day there’s only two answers. When he passed his class one he thought I would let him ship out straight away but I told him three months in the UK first till he could handle the job with no cockups, and at a later stage he thanked me for that decision. Only problem is young Tom is looking for a V8 and we aint got any of them, just the plain old boring straight six’s, cheers Buzzer.

as others have said,knock on a few doors…that’s how i got started on artics at 23 y.o.

Just had a driving assessment with Roadways in Nursling. Gentleman said he was pleased and didn’t see any issues with my driving and that I should expect a phone call from their transport manager within the next few days “nothing to worry about” though. Seems hopeful? They also have a 19yr old driver already apparently so that answers the question of who takes on new, young drivers!

Good luck! And let us know how you get on. Robert :slight_smile: