Just out of interest, how heavy a 20ft box can you stick on

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371413370.599527.jpg

Not a common site in the uk, I suppose that’s due to axle weights.
Are they difficult in the wet/ice?
Just wondering.

See them a fair bit, the boys who have a ‘bag in a box’ use them mainly! Not too sure on the weights but we’ve used similar and not had any problems in the snow!

Gonna go for 21 tonnes max.

weeto:
Gonna go for 21 tonnes max.

Me too.

26 Tonnes

Normally full of scrap metal or ceramic tiles.

trubster:
26 Tonnes

Normally full of scrap metal or ceramic tiles.

What does the trailer weigh and what are you pulling it with ?

It’s a sliding skelly, but when carrying a 20ft box, he box sits on the back,and not mid ships.
So I’m wondering if anyone has practical experience of operating one in the uk?

I saw an Irishman load 20ton o steel on the back half o a 40ft trailer then headed into the container terminal in Coatbridge and loaded a 20ft container with 15ton so with the weight o the container all up payload nearly 37ton the Volvo F88 at a mere 240 hp would be struggling. Eddie.

erfguy:
I saw an Irishman load 20ton o steel on the back half o a 40ft trailer then headed into the container terminal in Coatbridge and loaded a 20ft container with 15ton so with the weight o the container all up payload nearly 37ton the Volvo F88 at a mere 240 hp would be struggling. Eddie.

In was the days when drivers were drivers and knew how to wiggle that stick to keep it moving , as all the heavy haulage boys in the sixties didnt have the horsepower we do now and a lot fewer motorways and A road speeds were slower.
Illegal maybe even then but it went on quite a bit if my old man was anything to go by.

zippo:

Not a common site in the uk, I suppose that’s due to axle weights.
Are they difficult in the wet/ice?
Just wondering.

2 points, the axle weights and the axle spread to run at 44t in the uk you need iro 9.5 metre between the centre of the trailer kingpin and the centre of the rear axle, as the gap gets less the weight allowed also gets less, can’t remember off hand the exact measurement but i have it somewhere as a few years ago i had a tri axle flat trailer built as short a possible whilst still being able to run at 44t