Just moved to Taunton

Hi everyone, as the title says I have just relocated to Taunton and was wondering if anybody can recommend any decent agencies in the area or more importantly ones to not approach.
Many thanks in advance

John and Alison at Driver Hire were always good to me when I started driving. They are located opposite the registry office in town.
They’ll probably be able to get you in at Langdons in Bridgwater as they’re crying out for drivers at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

I think every firm in Bridgwater is crying out for drivers, I wonder if it has anything to do with employed class 1 jobs in the area typically paying around £23,000 p.a.?

Stay away from Gregorys. :exclamation:

Harry Monk:
I think every firm in Bridgwater is crying out for drivers, I wonder if it has anything to do with employed class 1 jobs in the area typically paying around £23,000 p.a.?

Is that a typo Harry did you get the 2 and the 3 the wrong way round ?

I know Morrisons at Bridgwater have got a banner on the fence advertising vacancies.

Looked like it was with them direct not through agency but I only had a quick glance.

nagel-group.com/en/karriere … index.html

mbax81:
https://www.nagel-group.com/en/karriere/freie_stellen/index.html

If the adverts are representative of the company, run away now. No indication of wages, always a bad sign.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far its much appreciated.

the nodding donkey:

mbax81:

If the adverts are representative of the company, run away now. No indication of wages, always a bad sign.

My mate drives for them Tuesday to Saturday, on days and is on about 30k. The drivers are salaried and seem to do sensible hours.
I’ve recently been taken on as a casual and get a day rate. If I get a short day then I’m quids in, if it’s a long one then it’s not so good. Did an 8hr shift a few weeks ago that worked out at about £15/hr.

As for what they’re like to work for, I can’t really comment as I have only been with them for about a month and only done a few days. But so far my impression is pretty good. I guess I’ll never get a true idea of what they’re like as I only do a shift every week or so.
My mate doesn’t really enjoy it, but he’s on class 2 Chillnet which is a bit ■■■■. I think the National side is much easier work. I’m led to believe quite a lot of drivers have left recently, but don’t know why.

Best Connection in Taunton

Beef:

the nodding donkey:

mbax81:

My mate drives for them Tuesday to Saturday, on days and is on about 30k. The drivers are salaried and seem to do sensible hours.
I’ve recently been taken on as a casual and get a day rate. If I get a short day then I’m quids in, if it’s a long one then it’s not so good. Did an 8hr shift a few weeks ago that worked out at about £15/hr.

Pretty much bang on. £30k + easily achievable with few weekend and bank holiday shifts. Salaried, but I’m currently working the least hours I’ve ever worked since getting licences back in 2006. Get odd rough day, but tend to get sorted out with a nice short day soon after to compensate.

mbax81:

Beef:

the nodding donkey:

mbax81:

Pretty much bang on. £30k + easily achievable with few weekend and bank holiday shifts. Salaried, but I’m currently working the least hours I’ve ever worked since getting licences back in 2006. Get odd rough day, but tend to get sorted out with a nice short day soon after to compensate.

agreed mbax81. Exactly how it is up here with them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try Eccles transport, the boss is Bob on 01254 670 622, he runs artics from the South West to Northern locations, you can be based in Somerset or based near Blackburn, the logo is the Big Red Truck on his fleet , they run in to a foam and bed factory in Wellington .

Hi just seen your post i was with Best Connection for last 15 years just taken up permanent job time was right and my age and im off the road now,they are good but there are lots of adverts on the roadsides round here at the moment so I dont think you will have any problems, lot of work in Bridgwater thats where most of the main ones are. Plus lots of expansion going on round here at the moment and hopefully Hinckley Point.

Driver Hire seemed to be quite an ethical company when I used them, and John is easy to deal with.

Best Connection probably pay more and have more clients, but is more traditional bums on seats affair.

Morrisons in Bridgwater may be recruiting (as they used to have a high staff turnover), or you could go in via agency which is ADR in Bristol. ADR like using the umbrella model.

cheersdrive:
Driver Hire seemed to be quite an ethical company when I used them, and John is easy to deal with.

Best Connection probably pay more and have more clients, but is more traditional bums on seats affair.

Morrisons in Bridgwater may be recruiting (as they used to have a high staff turnover), or you could go in via agency which is ADR in Bristol. ADR like using the umbrella model.

I wonder why Morrisons have a high turn over I’d have thought that would be a reasonably cushy affair apart from driving a day cab of course .

I noticed yesterday that Backline have a massive banner at the side of the road by the lay by at Thurloxton. Never worked for them so can’t comment on what they’re like.

BB - I used to work for Morrisons at that RDC. I have to be careful what I say, but it was my opinion that the management were to blame. They created an atmosphere, which for me, took any sense of satisfaction and enjoyment out of the job. Management/driver interaction (by that I mean face to face 1 to 1’s, or actually reading your comments on the daily run sheet and getting back to you) was either non existent, or via the union rep, or sometimes rude - especially to contractors. I could go on.

A lot of it was simply that all the staff from their bases in Swindon, Willand and Bristol were taken on when the smaller sites were closed, so, many drivers had large commutes or had to move home. Some stayed in the car park in motorhomes during their work stints and then drove home for their 2 days off. This led to a drop in staff numbers as some didn’t take to the commute or relocation. Many quality transport managers were lost due to this and replaced by people who didn’t know one end of lorry from another.

I hope they have turned things around since I was there.

Re: Backline, the lowest wages I have heard of in this area, they like the umbrella model. They like to have lots of people available for the Tesco contract, which is fine if that’s your bag.