just in case

I don’t mind being called silly, so I am advising my friends and family to ensure they have an emergency stock of food and, to give all hgv a very wide berth on the road because there might be some less competent drivers out there over the next few weeks

ok,your being silly…will that do■■? :laughing:

That’s quite a sweeping comment about the standard of hgv drivers right now, I’m guessing you think it was just driving gods that quit due to cpc?

Euro:
I don’t mind being called silly, so I am advising my friends and family to ensure they have an emergency stock of food and, to give all hgv a very wide berth on the road because there might be some less competent drivers out there over the next few weeks

Nowt wrong with this and sounds very wise to me. The seasonal increase in agency drivers does narrow down the chances of coming across a hgv vehicle with a competent driver at the wheel.

The dcpc stuff may have weeded out a few of the partime trucker wanabees as well as the old duffers who have retrofitted an eaton twin splitter to their rover 75 and disconnected the power steering to give that authentic good old days feel, but a few hobby drivers may have slipped through.

and here we go again, if your agency your crap, if you drive part time your crap, if you dont work full time in some dead end job your crap.

have seen some far better agency drivers than scruffy hobo type full timers!

war1974:
have seen some far better agency drivers than scruffy hobo type full timers!

Me too, to be fair though they where probably full timers doing some moonlighting for an agency.

Dipper_Dave:

Euro:

Nowt wrong with this and sounds very wise to me. The seasonal increase in agency drivers does narrow down the chances of coming across a hgv vehicle with a competent driver at the wheel.

The dcpc stuff may have weeded out a few of the partime trucker wanabees as well as the old duffers who have retrofitted an eaton twin splitter to their rover 75 and disconnected the power steering to give that authentic good old days feel, but a few hobby drivers may have slipped through.

Aye because all the full time, regular, full cpc all drive like angels? LOL!

Dipper_Dave:
The seasonal increase in agency drivers does narrow down the chances of coming across a hgv vehicle with a competent driver at the wheel.

The morons from Stobarts at Goole who have all tried to run me off the motorway as they veer down it going between the hard shoulder and halfway into L2 have all been employees.

Lets not forget agency drivers are usually on more money as well, like for like.

They may be a bit on the dodgy side but kudos to em for earning the big bucks.

DD, if you have held a hgv licence for 39 yrs and worked for big names and the smaller one on all types of trucks then go agency/ part-time/ semi-retired, does one become incompetent immediately or is it a gradual decline?

If you find you need lessons on driving, load security, customer relations let me know, I only drive three days a week now and have plenty of time on my hands.

Although im always willing to learn you raise a good point CM.
Now we all know regular agency bods are exceptionally good drivers due to their experience of diferent jobs and vehicles.

But what about the irregular agency folk, the hobby driver. Would it not be a good idea for these folk to have a badge, say a ‘P’ plate on their trucks if they have driven less than 60 days in a year.

Instead of bluffing it they could then be easily recognised on the roads, also they could have a special hi viz vest so other drivers could help them out if they see them lookin lost at a delivery location.

Aye it does’ny matter what type or colour the fruit is there is good and bad in all the barrels an it’s the same with people. Eddie.

Calling you silly does not even begin to scratch the surface of what you should be called!

DD, while I dont agree with the details of your suggestions re-inexperienced drivers, you do raise a good point. That is, our job is predominantly a solo gig. Sometimes there will be people to ask for help, but many times your on your own. Especially worrying when doing stuff other than run of the mill curtainsider/RDC work, where stuff needs to be secured to a trailer etc.(steel/machinery etc) In most other environments theres always someone next to you for help. Indeed, there cant be any other profession where youre just sent out on a job with less training than us drivers.

I shudder now to think of my first few trips when I was 21. I was given a Scania 110 and a flat trailer and an address.
That was it! It was expected that I would just somehow manage, which of course we all do… somehow.
People had more time to help in those days I suppose, but it takes a brave fella to ask for it. I was too embarrassed/scared to ask so I floundered on and learnt the hard way. It seems nothing has changed.

Just as a footnote, I found myself signing on an agency 7 years ago as a stop gap but found I much preferred to be my own boss and work where and when I want. I will never work for another company on the books. Like most folks though, I think this LTD Co thing is a total nonsense and needs looking at.

ok so as a ‘part time’ driver and i am not even that, i went for a DHL assessment this march having not driven for almost 2 years, not only did i pass without any marks against my name it also included a blind side reverse (which i hated doing when i drove full time!), the only thing i got advise on was the auto box revs higher if you put your foot down harder (which even the trainer admitted isnt a huge thing with auto boxes), i then worked a sunday and didnt crash, scratch or mark the unit or trailer :open_mouth:

but i must be crap as am only a part time driver.

Who the ■■■■ are you to call agency drivers ■■ I have been driving since Adam was a lad and have done flat wagons, steel, fridges , containers , tippers, curtainsiders, tramping the lot , so DONT class us all as numptys , I have been in yards where full time drivers have not been able reverse for toffee and I have done it for them , I am on agencies simply because it suits me as I can work when I want and not beholding to some office bod, just because you have a full time job it does not make you a superior driver to anyone else sounds to me you have a low self esteem and need to justify yourself as a " Holier than Thou " type .

Last week I was in a massive lorry sandwich on M62 (in car) - 4 in front, 5 alongside and 2 behind. Matrix was at 60. I didn’t feel particularly worried as they were all keeping a decent distance, but was glad when we all spaced out again later.

Dipper_Dave:
The seasonal increase in agency drivers does narrow down the chances of coming across a hgv vehicle with a competent driver at the wheel.

Well, they certainly bit. Who would have thought?!

I intended no slur on agency drivers. I am an agency driver. I was alluding to the point that if there is a driver shortage (there definitely is) then employers will be obliged to draft in anyone they can lay there hands on. This may be in-experienced foreign drivers or those who have been off the road for a long time. Apologies to anyone I offended.

I think euro has a point, they way things are even now some companies & agencies are desperate enough to sign up anyone with a DQC and a pulse and this is only going to be exacerbated as we approach the Christmas rush. I’m already looking forward to the new year lull, if it happens.