Just how hard is the CPC?

Hello Folks

Ive sort of hit a crossroads in my life…Turned 30, just brought a house, first child on the way… and scrimmping around on the agency for any dog end driving job i can get my hands on. Ive been at it on Class 2 for around 7 years now…Enjoyed it for the first 3-4 years and then the árse completely dropped out of the driving game. I just dont know wether to move away from the industry or try and progress in it, as transport is all ive really ever known and done.

My plan for the next 2 years is to try and get my CPC and land myself in a nice little transport managers role somewhere on a steady 20-25k fixed salary, instead of living week to week. I feel if i dont do something now i never will and i will end up doing crappy jobs i hate for the next 30-40 years.

So my question is …Just how hard is the CPC exam to pass?? Is it achievable with just hard study from the CPC books you can buy? and ultimately is it worth doing in the current state were in ■■

Cheers guys!!

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome triggauk :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

triggauk:
try and get my CPC and land myself in a nice little transport managers role

Just in case anyone was wondering - that’s the OPERATOR ( National) CPC and not the Driver CPC.

The only thing I have been informed of is that it is equivalent to an ‘A’ level exam - how true that is I don’t know

ROG:

triggauk:

Just in case anyone was wondering - that’s the OPERATOR ( National) CPC and not the Driver CPC.

not difficult to work that one out :wink:

The only thing I have been informed of is that it is equivalent to an ‘A’ level exam - how true that is I don’t know

it’s nowhere near as hard an A level , it’s an NVQ level 3 which in theory is the same but in practice isn’t :exclamation:

Lets think about this, A Levels are 2 years of hard study ( I seen my daughter do this ) and CPC is a 2 week intensive course ( or a home study course which you can do over a longer time but usually gets crammed into the last week as candidates suddenly realise the exam is looming :wink: ) they can’t possibly be the same imho !!

having some experience of business studies will help with the CPC,and some of the legal stuff involved with running the business, but a lot of the questions will leave you wondering “what has this got to do with haulage”

somewhere at the top of this forum is a sticky with links to the CPC , the scenarios for module 4 are released there before the exam dates iirc

here’s the link

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25364&p=574833#p574833

Help, link broken

ROG:

triggauk:

i only got 2 gcse at o level equivilent and marched through national and international cpc, so i dont think its as hard as an a level. half what i was taught i will have forgot by day after exam. if you are already up on tacho rules you have a head start. from memory (which is not good) i think the case study was hardest as the first 2 parts were multiple choice. the guy who did my course was helpful as he gave us the previous exams. thus allowing us all to take a calculated risk as to what was likely or unlikely to be in the next exam. adr is rocket science to me as i have never learnt it and have no intrest in it so i completely ignored this section in the study notes, it had also been in the previous exam so was unlikely to come up twice in a row. if you can take it in quick and remember it for a short time it was fairly straight forward. i did my national in 2004 so it could have changed dramatically. pay your money and take your chance!

pete-b:
Help, link broken

looks like they’ve been messing with …err…upgrading their website

National is here
ocr.org.uk/qualifications/ty … index.html

International is here

The first three modules are in my opinion relatively easy. They are all multiple choice and 2 of the 4 answers can usually be ruled out by anyone with a modicum of common sense. The remaining 2 can be sorted by a good knowledge of the transport industry and some training. The hardest part in the case study - although with the right tuition it can be difficult to fail. The examining body release 2 scenarios before the exam, one of which will be used - this gives you the opportunity to ensure you work out all the possible answers before the exam. I took a 2 week intensive for the course, and an additional one day course just for the case study - passed all first time. If you plan on doing home study I would urge you to take the one day course on the case study just before the exam - I did mine through FTA, but plenty of organisations offer them.

I was in a similar position to you although a bit older. I’d been in transport for 20 years so decided to use that knowledge to try to progress. At the time I was in a good steady job but took the plunge when I was offered a TM job on own account distribution. Did that for a few years then moved onto Operations Manager looking after the warehouse as well as Transport… obviously it was the best move I made and I really wish I’d done it a few years earlier.

So, basically… GO FOR IT!

triggauk:
Hello Folks

Ive sort of hit a crossroads in my life…Turned 30, just brought a house, first child on the way… and scrimmping around on the agency for any dog end driving job i can get my hands on. Ive been at it on Class 2 for around 7 years now…Enjoyed it for the first 3-4 years and then the árse completely dropped out of the driving game. I just dont know wether to move away from the industry or try and progress in it, as transport is all ive really ever known and done.

My plan for the next 2 years is to try and get my CPC and land myself in a nice little transport managers role somewhere on a steady 20-25k fixed salary, instead of living week to week. I feel if i dont do something now i never will and i will end up doing crappy jobs i hate for the next 30-40 years.

So my question is …Just how hard is the CPC exam to pass?? Is it achievable with just hard study from the CPC books you can buy? and ultimately is it worth doing in the current state were in ■■

Cheers guys!!

To me both exams were fairly straightforward with some difficult twists, if you can read a book and repeat it almost parrot fashion over the following couple of days, you will sail through. However unless you are extremely fortunate, walking into a managerial job with only a CPC as munitions will be nigh on impossible. 20 to 25k is beyond transport clerk money, but the 17 year old office boy is probably more qualified. Sorry if I sound harsh. I have sat with my legs dangling over both sides of the fence and found this to be the case

Denis F:

pete-b:
Help, link broken

National is here

International is here

:smiley: Thanks for that Denis. :wink:

:blush: :blush: :blush: I hadn’t realised that OCR had twiddled their site yet again. :smiling_imp:

I’ve now fixed both of the links in the CPC ‘sticky’ at the top of the forum. :smiley:
The links will now take the reader to the relevant page for selecting downloadable documents for both Nat and Int CPCs. I’d advise that it’s well worth scrolling and reading as much of that free info as possible.

Now the ‘lost certificate’ link is non-functioning. :frowning:

dieseldave:
:blush: :blush: :blush: I hadn’t realised that OCR had twiddled their site yet again. :smiling_imp:

I hadn’t either until Pete-b posted above :blush: :blush:

I’ve now fixed both of the links in the CPC ‘sticky’ at the top of the forum. :smiley:
The links will now take the reader to the relevant page for selecting downloadable documents for both Nat and Int CPCs. I’d advise that it’s well worth scrolling and reading as much of that free info as possible.

Now the ‘lost certificate’ link is non-functioning. :frowning:

Thanks Dave

there’s a downloadable form here
ocr.org.uk/learners/lost_certs/index.html
Is that the right one ■■

Did mine 3yrs ago(national and international)and like above posters said its not too difficult if you,ve worked in road transport,would recommend going for a 2 week course rather than home study,unless your really self disciplined.Tutor can tell you what the examiners look for and all the quirks and tricks in questions and you,ll practise with loads of past papers to get a feel for the actual exam.Would also say go for the international too,its a piece of cake if you have done continental work and you never know when it might come in handy,hope this helps

it might be difficult to walk into a 25k job from the off, but having another string to your bow can only be to the good and having done time as the office junior gives you the chance to move up later on.

go and do a 2 week study course somewhere rather than do it at home, it make life so much easier.

Save ya money unless you are prepaired to kiss [fb] or have learned every thining you know out of a class room but as youve been a driver youve got no chance that was my plan ( after 13 1/2 yrs of artics) many co’s wont touch you because you might know what youre doing!!!
Yes this may sound like a bitter rant but haveing done and passed the exam out of my own pocket to be told i am not a good as some one that has never been in a wagon never mind done the job gets a bit much and makes a mockery of it all!!!

Denis F:

pete-b:
Help, link broken

National is here

International is here

Thanks mate

Here we are. the new job.

Traffic Controller / Transport Planner
East Midlands - Nottingham / Derby / Mansfield
c£22,000+ Benefits

This dynamic and growing business immediately requires an enthusiastic individual with experience in a busy transport / traffic office. The Traffic Controllers role is to ensure the most efficient utilisation possible of the Company’s vehicle fleet.

===Responsibilities===

• Receive all incoming service requests from customers and action accordingly.
  • Ensure the highest level of service to customers
  • Control the day to day scheduling of all company vehicles.
  • Manage company drivers.
  • Coordinate vehicle availability and maintenance, working closely with the other team members and other depots.
  • Assist with transport data collection and entry onto IT systems.
  • Assist to ensure the Company’s transport is managed in line with all legal

===Requirements===

• Ensure the Company’s Health and Safety policies are adhered to at all times
  • Experience in vehicle scheduling, transport/ traffic planning.
  • Ideally National or International CPC Holder with HGV Class 2 licence
  • Articulate, with good communication skills.
  • Strong numeracy and literacy skills.
  • A good grounding in basic IT applications.
  • Proven track record of a flexible approach to work and the ability to manage a varied workload.
  • Strong organisational and co-ordination skills.
  • Conscientious, accurate and customer service orientated

Denis F:
there’s a downloadable form here
ocr.org.uk/learners/lost_certs/index.html
Is that the right one ■■

Hi Denis,

Cheers for the pointer, cos I was able to find the right one from the link that you gave. :smiley:

This link will get you the form to apply for a replacement CPC certificate
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/admin/ocr_33673_admin_rep_cert_app_form.pdf

I’ve been back to the sticky (again) and fixed the ‘lost certificate’ link. :smiley:

Hi folks… Sorry i havent replied been busy handballing cages full of beer too offlicenses the past couple of days,14 hours a day :angry:

Thanks for all the replies… Alot of helpfull info there, but very mixed!!

If i do decide to go through with it ive decided to take the 2 week course option. What current price range are the courses if anybody knows?

Its very interesting to see different ppl’s views on the subject. Especially the one about being more qualified if you havent actually got a HGV license, ive come across (and wanted to punch) many of them in my time and its a very good point.

The reason ive decided to look into the CPC is it seems there are alot of Transport operators/clerks/managers etc jobs being advertised in the midlands area lately ( The one that Wheelnut posted up is one i actually noticed on monster) and came to a semi conclusion that cpc holders may be in rising demand for these types of positions.

I’ve had some experience managing a small 3 man outfit for my last boss but I’am nowhere near qualified to run a large fleet, manage all the drivers, services, routes, drivers hours, customers etc etc on my own…but believe i have the ability to do so in the future.

I know of other ppl that have had a CPC cert in the past that have hired out there services to owner drivers so they can apply for an ops license, charging a small fee per vehicle… Is there any money in that anymore or are to many ppl doing the same idea??

triggauk:
The reason ive decided to look into the CPC is it seems there are alot of Transport operators/clerks/managers etc jobs being advertised in the midlands area lately ( The one that Wheelnut posted up is one i actually noticed on monster) and came to a semi conclusion that cpc holders may be in rising demand for these types of positions.

I know of other ppl that have had a CPC cert in the past that have hired out there services to owner drivers so they can apply for an ops license, charging a small fee per vehicle… Is there any money in that anymore or are to many ppl doing the same idea??

I believe that one I posted has been floating around the various employment websites for quite a while. I also tend to think that it is being passed around the various agencies. East Midlands - Nottingham / Derby / Mansfield.

Hiring yourself out as a CPC holder is quite legal, provided you have a free remit to check things are all above board, and that you visit the registered premises regularly. The TC frowns on these companies who have never met the CPC holder or that he lives in the Orkneys. Although why someone needs to pay a part time transport manager when you mention that it is only a fortnights course to get fully certified and there are several companies offering both parts for £1200. I bought the David Lowe book and read that, it cost me about £4. It is available here for slightly more. Study Manual £30

It amused me in the advert that the successful applicant would need an HGV class two licence and be articulate :stuck_out_tongue:

triggauk:
My plan for the next 2 years is to try and get my CPC and land myself in a nice little transport managers role somewhere on a steady 20-25k fixed salary, instead of living week to week.

something like this ?

TRAFFIC SUPERVISOR
Job No:LCB/16517
Wage £26500-£27000 PER ANNUM
Hour s4 ON/4 OFF, 12HR SHIFTS
Location LEICESTER LE19
Duration Permanent
Date posted 26 February 2010
Closing date 10 March 2010
Pension details Pension available
Description
This Vacancy is being advertised on behalf of Best Connection who is operating as an employment agency. Will involve the day to day supervision of approx 90 drivers, working with planning clerks regarding routes, controlling all legislation & paperwork, handling any health & safety issues, liasing with other s/visors & managers providing statistical info as . required and ensuring on time deliveries to all customers & adhering to time schedules. Ideally you will be from a fast paced environment & have similar experience in a traffic environment. You will be very self disciplined, self motivated, be of smart appearance & able to communicate at all levels. You will be able to handle change, challenges & also be able to juggle more than one ball at a time. You must be numerate, computer literate & have good English grammar. .

You can apply for this job by telephoning 0116 2512363 and asking for Danny Coley.
Employer
Best Connection