Just had the stoneridge tacho se5000 fitted but

its good bit of kit and does save time (a little), but the truck now only does 85kmh (showing 90kmh on speedo gps showing 85kmh before it was showing 90kmh) :smiling_imp: used to do bang on 90kmh been back ranting at them and all i get is, “well its set to our calibration sorry nothing we can do” :unamused:

i told them you said this tacho would save me 40minutes per day, but now ive lost 5kmh thanks, now the runs we do im going to have to doubleman because we cant get back :imp: :imp:

am i right to try and force them to fix it, and set it back at 90kmh instead on 85

I’d tell them to sort it, or rip it out and give you your money back so you can go elsewhere.

The Max speed you can do is set in the engine ecu at 85 / 90 kph or any other figure that was programmed in …The RSL can not be set by the tacho programmer equiptment…May be an idea to get the dealer to check what the RSL is actually set to

With the tacho calibration it is all indeed taken care of by the rollers ,the lad has no control over it .He basically presses start on the handset ,driver the vehicle on the rollers and the equiptment works out the L FACTOR W FACTOR & K FACTOR ,it then tells him to stop the vehicle and then automatically sends the figures to the tacho head,as long as their rollers are in calibration here isn’t really anything they can do…They also will do a speed to speed check ,where the speed showing on the handset tallys up with the speed on the tacho and speedo…The tyres play a big part in the calibration ,some people put old worn tyres on when getting the tacho calibrated then put their new tyres back on after calibration.

As I said the tacho lad has no control over what figure are programmed in to the tacho

There was nothing wrong questioning what they had done ,but a rant gets you nowhere

the k factor on the door is 9406 the on the scania pc it says 9405

You can actually run the same vehicle up 3 times on the rollers and you would get 3 different K factors ,the difference you have is nothing…Each time it gets recalibrated it will be different and it may be 9306 for example…best bet is to actually find out what the RSL is set to .
Also if you have new /reasonably new tyre fitted it makes a difference ,that is your L factor in mm…There are people who will put worn ,but legal tyres on a vehicle for it’s tacho check ,then put their new ones on back at their yard,and tyre pressue will make a difference

norb:
The Max speed you can do is set in the engine ecu at 85 / 90 kph or any other figure that was programmed in …The RSL can not be set by the tacho programmer equiptment…May be an idea to get the dealer to check what the RSL is actually set to

With the tacho calibration it is all indeed taken care of by the rollers ,the lad has no control over it .He basically presses start on the handset ,driver the vehicle on the rollers and the equiptment works out the L FACTOR W FACTOR & K FACTOR ,it then tells him to stop the vehicle and then automatically sends the figures to the tacho head,as long as their rollers are in calibration here isn’t really anything they can do…They also will do a speed to speed check ,where the speed showing on the handset tallys up with the speed on the tacho and speedo…The tyres play a big part in the calibration ,some people put old worn tyres on when getting the tacho calibrated then put their new tyres back on after calibration.

As I said the tacho lad has no control over what figure are programmed in to the tacho

There was nothing wrong questioning what they had done ,but a rant gets you nowhere

It depends on the gear they use to calibrate, ours you run up to 50km/hr hold it steady and then the programmer counts the pulses which you then enter manually, you can put in whatever you want as the programmer isn’t connected to the rollers in any way. All the roller handset does is give the l factor.

burnley-si:
its good bit of kit and does save time (a little), but the truck now only does 85kmh (showing 90kmh on speedo gps showing 85kmh before it was showing 90kmh) :smiling_imp: used to do bang on 90kmh been back ranting at them and all i get is, “well its set to our calibration sorry nothing we can do” :unamused:

i told them you said this tacho would save me 40minutes per day, but now ive lost 5kmh thanks, now the runs we do im going to have to doubleman because we cant get back :imp: :imp:

am i right to try and force them to fix it, and set it back at 90kmh instead on 85

Jesus, you couldn’t make it up could you? Just go to an independent tacho/speed limiter centre & ask them to do their bloody job properly. They’re all so scared of being shut down by VOSA that the big noise just set them 5km’s below. :unamused:

norb:
There are people who will put worn ,but legal tyres on a vehicle for it’s tacho check ,then put their new ones on back at their yard

who would do such a thing ? :blush: :blush: :blush:

AF1:

norb:

It depends on the gear they use to calibrate, ours you run up to 50km/hr hold it steady and then the programmer counts the pulses which you then enter manually, you can put in whatever you want as the programmer isn’t connected to the rollers in any way. All the roller handset does is give the l factor.

We use the stoneridge rollers which measure distance ,so you only need run the vehicle at a couple of kph and it does the calculations ,tells you to stop the vehicle ,and automatically sends the info to tacho, it is way better system less room for error

Silver_Surfer:

burnley-si:

Jesus, you couldn’t make it up could you? Just go to an independent tacho/speed limiter centre & ask them to do their bloody job properly. They’re all so scared of being shut down by VOSA that the big noise just set them 5km’s below. :unamused:

independent tacho centres can not alter the RSL …The RSL is controlled by the engine ECU and requires the dealer/ manufacturers laptop to alter Also the person who alters the RSL has to be trained on that engine system…If an owner request his RSL is set to 90kph that I what I set it at ,if he wants it set to 85 that is what I set it at ,if he wants to go above the legal setting ,then that won’t happen,as there is an electronic fingerprint left on the ECU with the name of the dealer and the person who set it.

As I have said the RSL can not be altered by tacho calibration equiptment

chaversdad:

norb:
There are people who will put worn ,but legal tyres on a vehicle for it’s tacho check ,then put their new ones on back at their yard

who would do such a thing ? :blush: :blush: :blush:

You sound like someone who may have a set of tacho calibration tyres :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

any one know a good one to go to and get it re-calibrated, and it cant be the one in huthwaite, Fulwood Road :unamused: :wink: :imp:

Si just go to another dealer “if Scania” they will only set it to 89kpm max!!!, unless you no the man doing the calibration then you may just may get it set at 90kpm. they can if they choose to do so put different k factor in via there machine!! if its below a 57 plate you can also alter the k factor via the usb port.with out going through the tacho head!!
But 57 + plates will automatically change the K factor once the calibration has been completed “no need to lap top via usb port” so you cannot alter it
as said on here all ready most are worried about VOSTAPPOS… so will set them between 85~89kph and there isn’t much you can do unless you find a independent tacho centre…
But Scania " head office" insits all calibrations and limiters must be set to a max of 89kph or below…
one last thing make sure the limiter isn’t set on euro setting !!! this gives you around 85~87kph

globby 480:
one last thing make sure the limiter isn’t set on euro setting !!! this gives you around 85~87kph

so theres a Uk setting and a euro setting? pity there isnt an Irish setting, that would be handy :wink:

its a 07, going to give someone a call tomorrow and book it in for a re-cal then invoice the company that fit it in the 1st place

burnley-si:
its a 07, going to give someone a call tomorrow and book it in for a re-cal then invoice the company that fit it in the 1st place

Invoice them for what SI ? they are with in there rights to set it between 85~90kph,not much you can do to be honest, its calibrated within tolerance’s set out so I wouldn’t even waste the ink let alone the paper,

just had a look at my old k factor 9820 the new one is 9406

globby 480:

burnley-si:

Invoice them for what SI ? they are with in there rights to set it between 85~90kph,not much you can do to be honest, its calibrated within tolerance’s set out so I wouldn’t even waste the ink let alone the paper,

they have been paid to do a job, fit new tacho ( done) and to keep the truck at 90kmh (not done) they might be within there rights 85/90kmh but as a paying customer if i ask for 90kmh then i should get 90kmh and not 85/86

norb:

Silver_Surfer:

burnley-si:

independent tacho centres can not alter the RSL …The RSL is controlled by the engine ECU and requires the dealer/ manufacturers laptop to alter Also the person who alters the RSL has to be trained on that engine system…If an owner request his RSL is set to 90kph that I what I set it at ,if he wants it set to 85 that is what I set it at ,if he wants to go above the legal setting ,then that won’t happen,as there is an electronic fingerprint left on the ECU with the name of the dealer and the person who set it.

As I have said the RSL can not be altered by tacho calibration equiptment

Oh Norb, you’re so money.