Just had battery burst!

What would cause a battery to burst ?
I was starting my MAN 18 TGM and there was a loud bang so I looked around truck and there’s acid coming out of battery box
P /s I’d just used tail lift for 1 light pallet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only you can call it. If you feel the acid is posing a danger to the public, get down wind and call 999. If not, just call your firm and let man deal with it

OVLOV JAY:
Only you can call it. If you feel the acid is posing a danger to the public, get down wind and call 999. If not, just call your firm and let man deal with it

I’ve called my fitter just waiting for call back so sitting here eating my lunch

Bit ott calling 999 for a battery .

Sounds like you had a short in the battery housing and the spark ignited the hydrogen.

Thats the problem with having a lid on a battery carrier,the hydrogen rises but cant escape and can produce an volatile mixture with the air and any source of ignition will cause an explosion.
Better to have a few ventilation holes drilled in the lid so that the hydrogen can disperse.

Punchy Dan:

I thought of calling for a pizza [emoji6]

Punchy Dan:

if its giving off gasses then it would be the right thing to do but blue done the right thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue estate:
I was starting my MAN 18 TGM and there was a loud bang so I looked around truck and there’s acid coming out of battery box

Fault on alternator causing over-voltage so the battery boils and the gases build up and it goes bang.

Excessive load on the battery causing the battery to get hot, gases build up and it goes bang.

Downside of sealed batteries. Before they’d just vent to air, go dry and stop working.

I’d be getting the boss to check out the tail lift to make sure that its working properly. It may go up and down but if there’s a lot of resistance from say a worn pin or the motor is knackered and drawing too much current you’ll just go through another battery.

Conor:

blue estate:

Fault on alternator causing over-voltage so the battery boils and the gases build up and it goes bang.

Excessive load on the battery causing the battery to get hot, gases build up and it goes bang.

Downside of sealed batteries. Before they’d just vent to air, go dry and stop working.

I’d be getting the boss to check out the tail lift to make sure that its working properly. It may go up and down but if there’s a lot of resistance from say a worn pin or the motor is knackered and drawing too much current you’ll just go through another battery.

I thought the sealed for life battery’s still used a valve to equalize pressure. May be that valve had become blocked.

You’re right though you need to find the root cause of why it failed, presumably it won’t be an overcharging issue as the engine had been off for a little while, so it must be some unusual draw of current that caused such a spectacular fail. So maybe the tail lift cooked it and the starter was the final straw.

@Blue Estates, you’re second picture; is that on the vehicle and if so, why so much damage to the paint, does he vehicle have a history of batteries failing?

Punchy Dan:

If there’s no public danger then yes, that’s why I said he’s in the best position to make that decision. If it was running off into a pool of acid on the pavement, would you want your kid to unsuspectingly walk into it? I’ve got an adr spill kit due to the nature of my work, but I’m presuming the op doesn’t, seeing as he’s called on csi trucknet for help :wink:

I have had a couple burst and they do make a mess! Certainly need cleaning up properly. When I worked at a Bedford dealership in the 70’s a lad decided to arc weld the battery carrier with the batteries still in place (some Bedfords had four six volt batteries) and he managed to touch the welding rod onto the battery terminal!! Never seen such a mess, his arms were not pretty either. :open_mouth:

Pete.

Possibly a plate came loose and shorted the cell.

windrush:
I have had a couple burst and they do make a mess! Certainly need cleaning up properly. When I worked at a Bedford dealership in the 70’s a lad decided to arc weld the battery carrier with the batteries still in place (some Bedfords had four six volt batteries) and he managed to touch the welding rod onto the battery terminal!! Never seen such a mess, his arms were not pretty either. :open_mouth:

Pete.

better than the old albions with the batteries under the seat pete . i had one burst under my seat and by the time i got home i was wearing shorts . made me legs sting a bit . when i changed my clothes at teatime my socks fell apart and the bootlaces had all but fell to bits . dave

its still better than losing the batteries when the battery box rots through and having to walk miles for help down a forestry track up at scaur water Dumfriesshire before mobile phones . :blush: :blush:

I think that when a lead acid battery is charging it gives off hydrogen which is inflammable and explosive when mixed with oxygen (air). But is there sufficient space in the battery for sufficient gas to accumulate?

it needs a spark to ignite

Immigrant:

well theres plenty of bright sparks on here :unamused:

scrotumscratcher:

Immigrant:

well theres plenty of bright sparks on here :unamused:

Not this one though :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: