Just Got Sacked

[quote=“… Sadly though, this kind of [zb]
goes on and it’s part of life. You just have to accept it and move on I’m afraid…”

I don’t agree at all that you just have to accept it. If more people had the balls to stand up to ‘workplace bullying’ we’d all be happier. If the gaffer has been guilty of any form of harassment then it’s only right that he is made accountable for his actions. Packing it in is maybe the easiest way of dealing with it but even if it is only on principle why should anyone succumb to these people (and that is very much from experience).

“There have been some places I’ve worked at and loved it but had an arse hole for a gaffer who’s just taken the urine so much that I’ve got fed up with it and left. On the flip side, there’s been a good number of places where my “I won’t take [zb] from anyone” stance has got peoples back up and I’ve literally been forced out …”
AS ABOVE . I reckon the art is in learning the psychology of these people and when you know as much of what they are about than they do themselves,and work to that, then life becomes much much easier. Unfortunately some other poor sod becomes the victim but Hey ! not your problem. However its easy to comment without knowing the whole story and if the guy wants the job done one way and you another then remember he’s the gaffer, and as the gaffer is accountable to his gaffer for balls-ups. If you don’t follow the party line in these situations then like it or not your usually in the wrong. Always remember 1st and foremost he’s covering his bum in all he says and does.

“Wharty, if it will make you feel better getting a few quid out of them for unfair dismissal then go for it…”
Having been there it’s usually not the case of just chasing a few quid. It normally comes down to feeling so strongly about something that you must do something about it . The ‘compensation’ usually isn’t commensurate with the degree of hassle and stress of having gone through legal channels eg ESAT , but the knowledge that you were proven right is exceptionally satisfying. Any payout does of course help.

My advice for what it’s worth Wharty is to speak to your Union if your a member of one. If you’re not a Union member speak to Citizens Advice who will give you very good but very basic and ‘across the board’ advice. If no Union you’d be well advised to consult a Solicitor involved in Employment Law (first interview free) and acting on his/her advice either instigate an ESAT hearing or forget it.
The first Hour of a Solicitor is usually free, afterwards you would be liable for his fees if not successful. If you are a Union Member a solicitor or CAB will refer you back to your Union. You can represent yourself at a cost of about £35 if I remember correctly.

Be prepared to have your work records revealed and questioned and that will be everything from your appearence to your timekeeping. Your situation will be compared to past tribunals and judgements, so every scrap of evidence will be necessary to dispel any allegation of ‘lacking’ against you. Basically it is you who is accusing them so it’s for you to prove your case, and remember, they are “innocent until proven guilty”. Whilst your ‘electronically recorded’ evidence is not admissible if recorded without his permission, it probably does contain allegation which would be bourne in mind so it might still be useful, as someone said though “if you can transcribe it” …but don’t make that too obvious. It is NOT an easy path Wharty but if you feel strongly enough about your situation read up as much as you can on the Internet about UNFAIR DISMISSAL , CONSTRUCTIVE DISMISSAL and INDUSTRIAL TRIBUNAL as you can absorb and go for it (You have to instigate a hearing within THREE Months of the incident ). And the best of Luck if you do.

For Future reference… Join a Union. At the first sign of discrimination of any kind keep a Diary (Union member or not). learn Psychology !!, just go to work and do what your told…if someone else told you to do it it’s their fault if it ■■■■■ up !! (not withstanding H&S Regs).

whats all this “i agree with rob” nonsense? have you all lost your marbles or what? :unamused:
what i will say is, i’ve yet to meet anyone who employs men on a regular basis who wants to get rid of one who does the job right and earns him a few bob, always two sides to a story.

paul b:
i’ve yet to meet anyone who employs men on a regular basis who wants to get rid of one who does the job right and earns him a few bob, always two sides to a story.

Those were my thoughts as well.

Wharty,i’m going through something like this myself,contact your local ACAS who though they no longer give interviews they will advise you on the telephone.Also as above contact CAB who on hearing your case will decide wether to pass you on to one of their employment law solicitors,all free.
You could contact a union and enquire as to if you joined then would they take it on,believe me i know one instance of that happening this year.
Best of luck

paul b:
whats all this “i agree with rob” nonsense? have you all lost your marbles or what? :unamused:
what i will say is, i’ve yet to meet anyone who employs men on a regular basis who wants to get rid of one who does the job right and earns him a few bob, always two sides to a story.

Not if you work for some of the bigger companies such as Exhell. There you have a management chain with people who don’t always play by the rules and move the goalposts all the time. Ten years I had with those ■■■■■ and I knew within the first week I’d ■■■■■■ up leaving my old job. Just a vindictive bunch of ■■■■■■■ there but I wasn’t going to let them beat me and they didn’t! Newsflow management hang your heads in shame.Bunch of ■■■■■■■ crooks too!

I would persue it,
I worked at a company that was easily the best paid job in the area, good tackle and equipment… was a great job and the lads were ecellant…
One driver (not me) had a minor row with the planner, something many of us had done many many times with no repercussions.

This planner within days was promoted to Transport manager, and proceeded to make this one drivers life hell, his earning were well done (to about 75% of what the rest of us were earning(but still pretty good money), and every single crap job was given to him. he was talked to like a child, something that every driver there noticed, the manager took every opportunity to excercise his power to make this drivers life miserable

He stuck it out for ages but in the end the stress of not being able to face coming to work due to the hassle he was given and he went on the sick, then left.

The manager then decided another driver was his target and proceeeded to do exactly the same to him, this driver took it for 3 weeks then left and claimed constructive dismissal.

All the drivers were interviewed by both the companies lawyers and the drivers representatives, we all discussed this amongst ourselves and decided that the whole story should be told and both drivers should be compensated , … the company settled out of court , the 2 nd driver was reinstated with a healthy sum , the first guy ( who didnt officially try to claim ) decided not to come back but took a very healthy payout which more than covered his lost wages.

However the 1st driver never worked again and died shortly after of a heart attack aged in his early 50’s, was the stress imposed on him by this individual who used his position to bully a factor in his early death? I dont suppose anyone will ever know, but I believe it cant have helped.

As for the manager… he was given a choice to go back to being a planner, or take a job where he had no authority over other employee’s, he also decided to claim constructive dismissal, this time the company contested it, and he lost :slight_smile:.

So my opinion is… Claim,!!! if you dont he will probably do the same to someone else

Rikki-UK:
I would persue it,
I worked at a company that was easily the best paid job in the area, good tackle and equipment… was a great job and the lads were ecellant…
One driver (not me) had a minor row with the planner, something many of us had done many many times with no repercussions.

This planner within days was promoted to Transport manager, and proceeded to make this one drivers life hell, his earning were well done (to about 75% of what the rest of us were earning(but still pretty good money), and every single crap job was given to him. he was talked to like a child, something that every driver there noticed, the manager took every opportunity to excercise his power to make this drivers life miserable

He stuck it out for ages but in the end the stress of not being able to face coming to work due to the hassle he was given and he went on the sick, then left.

The manager then decided another driver was his target and proceeeded to do exactly the same to him, this driver took it for 3 weeks then left and claimed constructive dismissal.

All the drivers were interviewed by both the companies lawyers and the drivers representatives, we all discussed this amongst ourselves and decided that the whole story should be told and both drivers should be compensated , … the company settled out of court , the 2 nd driver was reinstated with a healthy sum , the first guy ( who didnt officially try to claim ) decided not to come back but took a very healthy payout which more than covered his lost wages.

However the 1st driver never worked again and died shortly after of a heart attack aged in his early 50’s, was the stress imposed on him by this individual who used his position to bully a factor in his early death? I dont suppose anyone will ever know, but I believe it cant have helped.

As for the manager… he was given a choice to go back to being a planner, or take a job where he had no authority over other employee’s, he also decided to claim constructive dismissal, this time the company contested it, and he lost :slight_smile:.

So my opinion is… Claim,!!! if you dont he will probably do the same to someone else

I think that puts it very well,get in touch with ACAS Wharty won’t cost you a penny and very good advice.

Was thinking why should anyone leave a job who needs a wage. Plenty psychotic managers / foreman out there who just love to bully and intimidate people. As for your face not fitting, there is the interview process and the 3 month probationary period to take care of those issues.

Rikki-UK:

This is the most sensible statement in this whole thread. Nobody should buckle down to bullies and just because someone is a good worker doesn’t mean they won’t get picked on, lower management in large organisations don’t always have the company’s best interests at heart.

Only you know if you are partly at fault or not Wharty, nobody else should jump to conclusions about that, but if you seek advice you will be told if you have a case or not.

Coffeeholic:
I agree with Rob.

you would :wink:

Thanks everybody EVEN ROB K he does have a heart.
Gonna make an appointment today with the c.a.b and see what happens there.
Just so people know it’s really not about getting compo it’s about me clearing my name especially if i need a reference. I have only been working for the company for 11 months and on the day of my sacking i was exactly 4 weeks of 1 year. (they timed it well). If i could walk away from this with my head held high and an example being made of my boss then thats good enough for me.
The first 6 months were great and i got on with everybody unfortunately my boss doesn’t care to much for regulations and i do.
The drivers from day and night shifts had a meeting 2 weeks ago about everything that was going wrong, and as you can imagine they were not to impressed so since then one driver left 4 days after, then myself and unknown to me untill today another driver was sacked. it seems to me that anybody with a bit of balls to speak up has suddenly disappeared.
A number of local companies are also anoyed with being undercut.
Please can i say i have never broken any driver law( maybe my boss didn’t like it).

Spardo:

Rikki-UK:

This is the most sensible statement in this whole thread. Nobody should buckle down to bullies and just because someone is a good worker doesn’t mean they won’t get picked on, lower management in large organisations don’t always have the company’s best interests at heart.

Only you know if you are partly at fault or not Wharty, nobody else should jump to conclusions about that, but if you seek advice you will be told if you have a case or not.

I agree with the above Wharty I think I have stated before I did work on the dark side for years as a transport Manager…I also have experience of tribunals having been to three withy various hats on.

A Few points

1. A tribunal is not a court of law and the what can be used as evidnece are different…Your log of a conversation can be used if factual…and can be proven to be genuine.

2. You say this has gone on a long time…the Three people hearing your case will expect to see evidence of who said what and when even if it is just a note in a diary…etc

3.In these circumstances if the evidence is not available in any form…then they take the view it did not happen

4.Remember also that the employer has to back up all his facts with evidence of disciplinaries.grievance meetings, performance reviews, etc etc etc.

Its not good enough to say well he was not up to the Job,…They will want to see hard evidence dtaes time place who spoke to you…if its a Unionised enviroment were all the correct procedures followed in relation to the final dismisal …resignation etc.

A minefield but if you believe you are right then fight it…Happy to help if you need any advice PM me :sunglasses:

Rikki-UK:
I would persue it,

That is the best posting I have ever read on this forum.

There were two times I have took an employer(both when employed as a driver)to a tribunal won on lost one.Lost the first due to the fact that the union arse hole did not turn up (although I got a phone call some weeks later asking what happend■■?)and I was on my own facing the area director the transport manager and the company lawer,I lost but it was a written decision(with grounds to appeal)and the second time I won,and I represented myself and got back all the money I was owed.Go after them and claim what is yours,did they pay you the holiday pay you had coming,did you get all you wages due ie did they deduct anything from them…?

DGW131:

Coffeeholic:
I agree with Rob.

You think? That is actually a rare thing as I’m sure Rob will agree, which is kind of self defeating. :wink: :smiley:

What can I say?

But for you to stand up on your own two feet.

Thats what employers do. So must you.

You don’t like the job? Well then do something about it! Find another.
It’s as easy as that.

Ok, take advantage of “being harrassed … being bullied”

I agree, there shouldn’t be a place for that in the work place. Such is life! Go ply your trade elsewhere.
If you’re being bullied or abused. Then say so, straight awa

You’re sounding like just another whinger who isn’t able to stand up for himself.

Coffeeholic:

DGW131:

Coffeeholic:
I agree with Rob.

You think? That is actually a rare thing as I’m sure Rob will agree, which is kind of self defeating. :wink: :smiley:

I agree with Neil. :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley:

Wharty…sue the nuts off em…constructive dismissal etc…i`ver been fighting these kind of bosses all my life …and i dont let them take the urine…i walk away when i can…when it suits me…and if i have to report them to whoever …then i will…even if i get in trouble myself (which has never happened )…but if more drivers fought back…you wouldnt have urine takers left in the industry…the time is arriving where it is a drivers market place…they need us more than we need them…unfortunately …the traffic increase…is the downfall of this industry…hopefully …i have found the almost perfect employer, but i wont be staying that long…hoping to retire.within 3 years…shame …shame…

truckyboy:
…hoping to retire.within 3 years…shame …shame…

Me too! If six numbers come up soon, then I won’t be able to retire by the time I’m 37! :laughing: :laughing: