Just got a new truck and probs already

its fitted with a digi tacho and the card reads error 50…informed dvla and sent it back for replacement…

but forgot to take printout and make manual entries …can i do it at a later date

Welcome to TrucknetUK g4rth :smiley:

g4rth:
its fitted with a digi tacho and the card reads error 50…informed dvla and sent it back for replacement…

but forgot to take printout and make manual entries …can i do it at a later date

I think you’ll find that error 50 means the card can not be read by the tachograph, sometimes cleaning the card with a soft cloth will solve the problem.

Do you mean you forgot to take printouts at the start and end of shift whilst driving without a card ?

If so then you I don’t think you will be able to get the appropriate printouts now, I suppose you could always say you did the printouts and lost them so did the next best thing and got daily printouts for the days you drove the vehicle, I doubt it would stop you getting your wrist smacked if you’re stopped by VOSA though :frowning:

As tachograph says Error 50 means the VU can’t read from or write to the card and there are a few ways to solve this.

1. Remove the card and reinsert it the right way up. :wink:

2. Clean the card.

3. Keep pressing OK or remove and reinsert the card a few times, that usually sorts it out.

4. Send it back.

If you didn’t do the printouts at the start and end of the shift as required you can’t go back and do them now. You obviously can’t do a start of shift printout after the shift is done with.

Coffeeholic:
As tachograph says Error 50 means the VU can’t read from or write to the card and there are a few ways to solve this.

2. Clean the card.

3. Keep pressing OK or remove and reinsert the card a few times, that usually sorts it out.

4. Send it back.

If you didn’t do the printouts at the start and end of the shift as required you can’t go back and do them now. You obviously can’t do a start of shift printout after the shift is done with.

Im going for number 1 :wink:

Wheel Nut:

Coffeeholic:

2. Clean the card.

4. Send it back.

It’s often the case. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:

Coffeeholic:

It’s often the case. :wink:

Surely no-one would put the card in the wrong way up :blush: :blush: :blush: :wink:

Did you know that a debit card doesn’t work in a digital tachograph :blush: :laughing:

thanks for the welcome, i tried all those suggestions…my mates card worked ok, when we were given instructions how to operate the unit we were told not to have the digi card near bank cards etc…i had the card in my wallet for a month before i was told that…

i got the truck last thursday, and with all the hassle of trying to get the card to work and doing 10 other jobs i forgot to do a printout…been looking for suggestions regarding the matter and found this site…
thanks for the help tho’… l’ll just keep a note of my driving hours and breaks… :unamused: :unamused:

g4rth:
thanks for the welcome, i tried all those suggestions…my mates card worked ok, when we were given instructions how to operate the unit we were told not to have the digi card near bank cards etc…i had the card in my wallet for a month before i was told that…

I’ve always made sure the memory chip wasn’t touching the magnetic strip some cards have but apart from that I’ve carried my driver card in with and touching bank cards ec’t for 2 or 3 years without any problems, in fact I still have my original driver card, had to give it a wipe from time to time when it refused to work but it’s still going good :smiley:

g4rth:
i got the truck last thursday, and with all the hassle of trying to get the card to work and doing 10 other jobs i forgot to do a printout…been looking for suggestions regarding the matter and found this site…
thanks for the help tho’… l’ll just keep a note of my driving hours and breaks… :unamused: :unamused:

Only keeping a note of the times will lead to misfortune and possibly a loss of fortune if you get pulled by an enforcement officer :wink:

The correct procedure when the driver card is faulty is to take a printout from the VU (vehicle unit) at the start and end of each shift, write on the printout your driver card number (same as driving license number) and name and any manual entries you need to make and keep both printouts with you for the usual following 28 days then hand them in as you would with charts :wink:

To do a printout from the VU on a Siemens digital tachograph with the ignition on:

1. press “OK” - the unit display will go to “Printout Driver 1”
  2. Use the down arrow to scroll down till the display says “Printout Vehicle”
  3. Press “OK” - the display will say “24 h day”
  4. press “OK” - the display will show the current date
  5. Press “OK” and the printout will start.

As I said before this should be done at the start and again at the end of each shift until you get your new driver card.

Good luck :wink:

g4rth:

Yeah, that’s a lot of ■■■■■■■■ that. The card will either work or it won’t and keeping it near bank cards won’t make a scrap of difference. If my card is not in the VU it is in my wallet next to various other cards and it gets sat on on a regular basis. The wallet gets left on my desk or on the table at home with my mobile on top of it, which is something else they tell you to keep it away from. The digi card also gets regularly scanned by the thing on the gate into work as my company ID is also in the wallet and it gets pressed against the scanner thing. Neither of the two cards I have had so far has ever had a problem being read by the machine.

must’ve just been a faulty card then…my mates worked in the vu ok…i know i have to keep a printout at the start and end of each day…but the day i got the truck i forgot to take a printout…anyway, it’ll be stored in the vu memory…ill just have to remember to do it till i get my new card…

right…at the start of shift i do a printout and make manual entries, and i do a copy for me…then when finishing shift, when i do a printout…theres 3 options driver 1 and 2 and vehicle printout,
i only get a vehicle printout, do i have to keep 2 copys of this too…im going through a lot of paper…

g4rth:
right…at the start of shift i do a printout and make manual entries, and i do a copy for me…then when finishing shift, when i do a printout…theres 3 options driver 1 and 2 and vehicle printout,
i only get a vehicle printout, do i have to keep 2 copys of this too…im going through a lot of paper…

You don’t have to do two copies at any time, you can do one printout at both the start and end of shift and keep them both with you for the required 28 days, then hand in both printouts for each shift to the operator just as you would with charts.

thanks…been told different things off the person the company sent to explain how to use vu…and the book i got wasnt much help either…