Just get me home

Im a truck mechanic and was wondering/

You been out all week and its Friday night and your 60 mile from home.
You have a good pub to go to,kids to see or a promise on.
Bang something goes belly up and you break down.You sit 3 hours waiting for some bloody van,the man arrives fixes the problem in 5 minutes but your now stuck there 9 hours.

the pubs shut the kids are in bed and the promise is out the window.

What bits of kit would you carry in your pocket so you could put it right yourself.
(with a little bit of coaching from your repair staff) to get you home.

Like to hear your suggestions

Not altogether altruistic as I like my Friday nights in the pub and hate missing it for a 3 hour drive for bugger all.

give you my list later.

A fur glove because the truck can / is fixed
but a promise is another thing that might not
happen again for a long time .

quirky

quirkyjohn:
A fur glove because the truck can / is fixed
but a promise is another thing that might not
happen again for a long time .

quirky

Would prefer the velvet cup meself dear boy!!

Just an old-fashioned tacho card so I could get a lift home. S*d the lorry, it’ll wait for another day!

My usual steed has a good toolkit in her. Bulbs, fuses, terminals, jubillee clips, cable ties, random nuts bolts and screws,a few random pieces of pipe/tube, a few of the air line push connector thingys, spare primary elecy suzy, spare airline, spray grease, wd40. :smiley:

Ironically the old girl never gives me any grief. It’s helped many a brit abroad, a dutchman and a turk to get somewhere though :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ETA: a fuel filter too (old habits :wink: )
E2TA: Insulation and gaffer tape

Cable ties - if it can’t be fixed with a cable tie then it can wait for the mechanic.

Santa:
Cable ties - if it can’t be fixed with a cable tie then it can wait for the mechanic.

+1

when away, the firm supplies some bulbs, first aid kit and spare suzies. but i like to have some extras
few spanners
few mixed screw drivers
pliers and cutters
fuses and bulbs
couple of assorted lenses
jump leads
cable ties
wd 40
hammer
gaffer and small elec tape
some spider bungees
torch

i’m a crap mechanic, but a mix of the above has often got me rolling again until a proper fix at base or on the road can be made.

Bking:
Im a truck mechanic and was wondering/

You been out all week and its Friday night and your 60 mile from home.
You have a good pub to go to,kids to see or a promise on.
Bang something goes belly up and you break down.You sit 3 hours waiting for some bloody van,the man arrives fixes the problem in 5 minutes but your now stuck there 9 hours.

the pubs shut the kids are in bed and the promise is out the window.

What bits of kit would you carry in your pocket so you could put it right yourself.
(with a little bit of coaching from your repair staff) to get you home.

Like to hear your suggestions

Not altogether altruistic as I like my Friday nights in the pub and hate missing it for a 3 hour drive for bugger all.

give you my list later.

Pliers, Adjustable spanner, multi-screwdriver andn knife is all I used to carry. Out of all of them the knife was the most useful. Rescued several people who’d pulled the red airline off the back of their unit screwing the trailer round.

various spanners, and screwdrivers.
hammer,
jump leads,
oil,
a few small lengths of copper pipe,
jubilee clips,
cable ties,
pliers,
adjustable spanner,
stilsons,
scaffold bar,
the wife,
or her sister. :smiling_imp:

Coupe of screwdrivers, adjustable, gaffer tape, knife, bit of rope, box of matchs.

Saaamon:
Coupe of screwdrivers, adjustable, gaffer tape, knife, bit of rope, box of matchs.

Bit extreme torching the unit :smiley: :smiley:
Teatime

Sorry for this but you should never plan you weekend, especially when on a promise, you no something going to go wrong, the one thing I would take with in this situation is a crystal ball and have the repairer waiting at your breakdown spot :laughing: :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :wink:

A pillow, gis a knock when you get here :grimacing:

You mend em, I’ll drive em

I carry a full set of suzies, set of spanners, sockets, cab bar, bulbs, air fittings, fuses, cable ties, nuts, bolts, hose clips, brush pack for altenator, air pipe, wheel brace, air line for blowing up tyres, oil, water, jack and light lens.

I was brought up as a lorry driver not a trucker, but was born 20 years to late, will always do all i can to keep rolling, but sometimes have to make the phone call!

Over the years I’ve found there are very few problems an iron bar can’t fix. :stuck_out_tongue:

But just in case, I’ve got spare suzies, fuses, relays, and bulbs. Along with some basic tools and some gaffer tape.

WD40, gaffa tape and a lump hammer.
If it moves and isn’t supposed to - gaffa tape.
If it doesn’t move but is supposed to, WD40.
If all else fails, lump hammer.

I carry all three of those, as well as an adjustable spanner, cable ties, and a couple of screw drivers.

• a fold up moped! (If all else fails)

Has anybody mentioned wet wipes yet ?
If not . . wet wipes.