Just done my driver assessment - Elmet Training

as the title goes, just done my driving assessment with Elmet. was propa nervous before i got there never even sat in a truck ! expected stalling it n allsorts :open_mouth: :laughing: but i didnt. got straight out onto the road and started enjoying it straight away… had a good run 30/45 min through tadcaster negotiated a few turns etc. thing i found most difficult was the gearbox not sure what u call it 4/4 slap box ■■ but i imagine ill pick that up… very good instruction all the way through. so much so that im not even going to bother having a second assessment anywhere else i feel happy enough to go with Elmet! Paul said i was decent enough and would be fine with 16 hours training and go for test on 4th day… so gonna go with that and see how we get on. just got to get some time booked off work and get on with the training :smiley: :smiley:

Glad you enjoyed the experience and felt comfortable with me.

Paul :slight_smile:

was good mate looking forward to getting started

Good luck all the best, sure you will smash it!

ash 001:
Good luck all the best, sure you will smash it!

Just hopefully not the truck.

Knock them dead mate (not the pedestrians) :wink:

cheers all. im my own worst critic tbh… in my mind i did terrible. i hate not being good at something instantly lol :laughing:

That gear box caught me out mate when I did my class 2 but I got the hang of it. I think I was trying to change gear in one movement instead or two if you know what I mean.

I did exactly same today mate tried to go from 4th to 5th in one motion. Instead of slappin it to right then letting it go back to middle first and selecting 5th. I kept putting it into 7th instead

That’s what I kept doing mate.

I would say the gearbox caught me out, but I didn’t have that problem in an auto :wink:

ash 001:
I would say the gearbox caught me out, but I didn’t have that problem in an auto :wink:

And that prepares you for being thrown the keys to an auto does it Ash? :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

ash 001:

And that prepares you for being thrown the keys to an auto does it Ash? :wink:

Till you get a manual and it’s errrr now what? Lol

Stop complaining “ladies”, practice, practice, practice :smiley:
I drove my first euro truck(Man 4 over 4 gearbox) last weekend and was as easy as driving my car, I’m happy with it.
I have other problems -bad driving habits and the instructor is not happy with them. Things like: accelerating from standing still position on 2nd or 3rd gear(the truck is empty), steering with one arm, shifting fast and driving a bit fast - not faster then the speed limit, but fast for school training, whatever this might means.

Dolph:
Stop complaining “ladies”, practice, practice, practice :smiley:
I drove my first euro truck(Man 4 over 4 gearbox) last weekend and was as easy as driving my car, I’m happy with it.
I have other problems -bad driving habits and the instructor is not happy with them. Things like: accelerating from standing still position on 2nd or 3rd gear(the truck is empty), steering with one arm, shifting fast and driving a bit fast - not faster then the speed limit, but fast for school training, whatever this might means.

I recon your going too fast because I was told on the test the main thing g their looking for is that your safe. The faster your going into ‘hazards’ the less safe you are… Apparently

As for the manual gearboxes I was really glad I did my training in a manual. Yes its harder but autos can be funny and unpredictable things. Plus half my new companys fleet is manual so I don’t need to worry which truck their going to put me on