Just book my class one

Just book my class one on solo driving two full days is it much harder than class two? any advice or tips

archer2005uk:
Just book my class one on solo driving two full days is it much harder than class two? any advice or tips

You may find that after lunch you lose concentration being 1 to 1 for full days

I’ve only had an assessment drive class 1 so I can’t exactly say for certain whether it’s easier than class 2 or not. However, I actually found it quite easy and I was already ‘used’ to the size/height/width of the lorry. The only difference was the trailing body of mass behind you that cuts in and acts like a ‘snake’.

The instructor that took me out was also my ex-instructor that trained me for class 2 and he was impressed at least :slight_smile:

I didn’t do any reversing though… maybe that’ll be a different story haha

I never got assessment thats how i an wondering its the size and the cutting in and reverseing am worried about most ppl have said its like a class two just with a trailer

I passed last Monday, having done 2 full days training Saturday & Sunday. (Included a 5 am start and 90 minute drive to the training centre on Saturday).
As Rog say’s it’s hard to concentrate towards the end of the day, but it worked for me. You’re should be well rested on test day.

I took the easy option - wagon & drag. The drawbar trailer was really easy to reverse and you have masses more space than class 2 reverse. My only difficulty was judging where to stop, but another cable tie fixed that. Driving on the road is almost the same as class 2 except it takes longer to get going/more risk of holding someone up. I needed to concentrate on that.

Best of luck with your course & test.

archer2005uk:

Hi there just a quick question. If you have doubts about size and things why did you not go and have an assessment drive and take the advice of the professional instructor.

When I was planning my tests I wanted to do them in the shortest time frame possible
( I’ve been in my current job for 17 years and before I had a short stint as a yard shunter also Not wanting to let my boss know what I was up to. And spend as little cash as possible)

But before booking I went and had an assessment drive the instructor agreed to an 8 hour course and test following day. Passed Cat C 5 minors. 21/9/17
So when booking C+E my instructor advised a longer course 4 days 2 to 1 because toward the end of training day of Cat C I was making silly mistakes.

Passed C+E 4 minor’s 13/11/17 Wagon and drag manual 4 knock over 4.
I Hated being in the wagon with another driver especially when their not of the the same ish level of driving having said that when the instructor is drilling into the other guy I did learn from His mistakes the instructor is talking to the pair of drivers not just the one in the hot seat.
Going 1 to 1 you’ll won’t get much of a rest or learn from others. If you’re a confident driver go for it it’s not impossible. But you are asking the question on here!!
So my advice go get an assessment drive ( hay most places it’s free anyway) take the advice of the instructor.
RayW

I never got the option for wagon and drag is the test basically like the class two? I think i have problems with the reverseing and the length of the vehicle

There never mention anything about assessment to me just there was a space next week to do the course am probably worrying over nothing

archer2005uk:
I never got the option for wagon and drag is the test basically like the class two? I think i have problems with the reverseing and the length of the vehicle

Yep test is the much the same as Class 2 weather it’s drawbar or artic with the add on of trailer drop and re attach as if it’s a un-known trailer and as said previously it takes longer to stop and to pull away so it’s a hell of a lot more forward planning get correct gear Ö mirrors mirrors an more mirror personally the reverse is a tad simpler because the area is much longer but I’m good at going backwards.
The other trainee I was with had “problems” reversing but after half a day on the training strip he got to a point of———— well getting there and on test day reversing was the one bit he got right.

Did you do Cat C with the same training company as C+E. Will your package include free retest.

Me As to doing it in a wagon and drag———- well to be honest I never wanted to do it that way it’s just I found a company that was in my price range did an assessment with them got on well with the instructor so booked it. My package included free retest training for 1 retest.

i did my cat c with a different company they couldn’t fit me in this year i guess i find out next week if its artic or wagon & drag

archer2005uk:
i did my cat c with a different company they couldn’t fit me in this year i guess i find out next week if its artic or wagon & drag

If its bothering you phone and ask. They shouldn’t mind

kcrussell25:

archer2005uk:

If its bothering you phone and ask. They shouldn’t mind

+1
and you might get a choice you wouldn’t have if you left it

I was at the centre today and they only have artics they have

archer2005uk:
I was at the centre today and they only have artics they have

After passing in the wagon and drag I did the recommended conversion to artic and it was a great drive so easy with the auto. If doing it again, I personally would recommend artic over drawbar.
And after all most jobs are artics anyhow.
Don’t stress about it you will still be doing the same amount of hours in the hot seat as most other people just a lot of concentration is required all the time. Have a tea, snack pee, chat break every couple of hours you will be fine.
Good luck.

Thanks i feel pretty confident driving a class two now so i dnt think the driving will be a problem just the reverseing all saying that am confident with out a examiner there lol

archer2005uk:
Thanks i feel pretty confident driving a class two now so i dnt think the driving will be a problem just the reverseing all saying that am confident with out a examiner there lol

On the reverse the examiner’s not in the truck.
I think you’ve got 15 min’s and 2 shunts and you can get out and check 1 time.
Taking it slow an straightforward reverse 3–4 minutes.
Just take it slow an after first move just do small inputs…

Thanks am i right in saying if u need a shunt its classed as a minror

A shunt is recorded as a driving fault (aka minor). The secret is in having a really good shunt. No further penalty for distance.

There is no official time limit, though taking a silly amount of time will demonstrate a lack of control.

You should always get out and check the back end in relation to the barrier. A little known fact is that you can also get out and check that you’re clearing B cone. But I’ve never actually seen anyone do this.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the advice not long now till traning starts