Just another typical Bank holiday

As someone who is working today it comes as no surprise to see the typical lemmings like behaviour of Joe Public and other groups. So far I’ve seen our nomadic friends holding up the traffic on the A46 while they’re holding horse trotting races. I pulled in a lay-by to take a break on the A429 near Stow that occupied by a couple of caravans and a camper, only for Joe blogs to come tapping on the cab door asking if I would reverse back to let him out, bearing in mind he was at the rear of lay-by and for me to reverse back and let him out I’d have to go backwards onto the road. So I told him he’d have to wait 25mins until I’d finished my 45, so he promptly got the huff on. Further north Leicester Forrest services was queueing back onto the hard shoulder and the A1 has some disruption around Newark

Glad I don’t work bank holidays.
Then again. If I could I probably would and have the days off in the week. As don’t do much bank holidays anyway . Don’t go out for reasons you say roada and place will be busy. I’d rather go away on the week really when it’s quieter

Got the terberg parked in a nice shady spot :wink:

It’s been bedlam on the canals. I’ve probably seen 30 moving boats today. :stuck_out_tongue:

peirre:
, bearing in mind he was at the rear of lay-by and for me to reverse back and let him out I’d have to go backwards onto the road.

So you’d double parked on him and blocked him in? [emoji53]

Just curious,Harry. Do users of canal boats/barges have to undertake a certificate of competency of some kind? I imagine they must because barge brakes aren’t good,from what I’m told.
I know Spain requires the equivalent of a masters’ ticket for salt water journeys.

You don’t need owt on the Norfolk broads…and some of those cruisers are a fair size

stu675:

peirre:
, bearing in mind he was at the rear of lay-by and for me to reverse back and let him out I’d have to go backwards onto the road.

So you’d double parked on him and blocked him in? [emoji53]

Yes & no, He had room to reverse back 25yds and leave via the entrance, however as soon as he came knocking the couple in the caravan jumped in their car and drove off. So he sheepishly go back in the campervan and drove off

I’m off now till the 25th :grimacing:

blue estate:

I’m working all 4 days without any overtime to show for it [emoji849]
The joy of gaining experience [emoji23]

stu675:

blue estate:

Shame :laughing:

stu675:

blue estate:

You’ve been…

Conned. Lack of experience is no excuse whatsoever to pay you less than the going rate.

Wow, just wow. :open_mouth:

Gidders:
Just curious,Harry. Do users of canal boats/barges have to undertake a certificate of competency of some kind?

No, there’s no type of qualification or licence required to drive a narrowboat. I believe there is some type by-law about not operating one while three times over the drink-drive limit, but if there is, nobody takes any notice of it. :wink:

Been on my boat in Cuxhaven since 10pm yesterday so no worries about the roads till I get off the boat in Immingham Saturday evening and then I’m off till Tuesday.

mrginge:
Been on my boat in Cuxhaven since 10pm yesterday so no worries about the roads till I get off the boat in Immingham Saturday evening and then I’m off till Tuesday.

Struth.Is that service still running?

Gidders:
Struth.Is that service still running?

On a dfds freighter.

peirre:
As someone who is working today it comes as no surprise to see the typical lemmings like behaviour of Joe Public and other groups. So far I’ve seen our nomadic friends holding up the traffic on the A46 while they’re holding horse trotting races. I pulled in a lay-by to take a break on the A429 near Stow that occupied by a couple of caravans and a camper, only for Joe blogs to come tapping on the cab door asking if I would reverse back to let him out, bearing in mind he was at the rear of lay-by and for me to reverse back and let him out I’d have to go backwards onto the road. So I told him he’d have to wait 25mins until I’d finished my 45, so he promptly got the huff on. Further north Leicester Forrest services was queueing back onto the hard shoulder and the A1 has some disruption around Newark

This sounds more like a agency driver venting his spleen as he’s agreed to work a b/ h for a ■■■■ poor rate , some never learn .

stu675:

If it’s any consolation some jobs are like that even for experienced drivers; I used to work 4 on 4 off and we didn’t get any overtime for the weekend or bank holiday segments.

One Easter my 4 days covered Good Friday to Easter Monday inclusive, no overtime at all. On the plus side it was job and knock, and with 4-on-4-off you literally only work 50% of the year, but I’m still pleased that job is all in the past.

dozy:
This sounds more like a agency driver venting his spleen as he’s agreed to work a b/ h for a ■■■■ poor rate , some never learn .

Nah, Pay parity has given me a decent rate to start with, and double time Friday and Monday will make me a decent amount.