Just a quick question about hours again

Just a quick post. I have started working full time for an employer has i was self employed before. Just checking hours and what is required under the WTD hours and driving rules. My hours of work are 7am - 5pm sometimes a hour or 2 overtime some nights but not every week just when they get busy then i work every saturday unless i booked it off from 8am til 12 and again i may do extra hours has other driver wont stay and do the deliverys. So that means i get a maximum of i think 36 hours weekly rest til 00:00 monday morning(if this is correct).
So i know you should have 48 hrs a weekly rest or can have 2 reduced weekly rest. I know is what the hours i am doing is legal or not. I have a friend who drives for a skip firm with the same hours as me but doesnt do any overtime and he works 2 consentitive saturdays then he has the nxt 2 saturdays. I was self employed driving my own vehicle for 2 yrs so i wasnt under the wtd and now i am working alot more hours then i did before which is full time work instead of part time unlike the hours i used to do.
Be greatful if anyone can give me info and advice on the matter…

Cheers

tfclark:
Just a quick post. I have started working full time for an employer has i was self employed before. Just checking hours and what is required under the WTD hours and driving rules. My hours of work are 7am - 5pm sometimes a hour or 2 overtime some nights but not every week just when they get busy then i work every saturday unless i booked it off from 8am til 12 and again i may do extra hours has other driver wont stay and do the deliverys. So that means i get a maximum of i think 36 hours weekly rest til 00:00 monday morning(if this is correct).

You seem to be under the impression that your weekly rest ends at midnight Sunday (Monday 00:00) but this is not correct, your weekly rest is the duration of time from when you begin your weekly rest period until you restart work in your case on Monday morning.
If you finish work at 12:00 Saturday and don’t start work again until 07:00 Monday you’ve had 43 hours weekly rest, two hours short of a regular 45 hour weekly rest period.

tfclark:
So i know you should have 48 hrs a weekly rest or can have 2 reduced weekly rest.

A regular weekly rest period is 45 hours not 48 hours :wink:

Legally you must have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period at least every second week, you cannot go two consecutive weeks with only reduced weekly rest periods, it’s illegal and likely to get you a big fine and parked up for 45 hours if you get stopped.

tfclark:
I know is what the hours i am doing is legal or not. I have a friend who drives for a skip firm with the same hours as me but doesnt do any overtime and he works 2 consentitive saturdays then he has the nxt 2 saturdays

Without knowing exactly what hours your friend works it’s not possible to say whether or not what he does is legal.

From what you’ve said it does seem a bit unlikely that he would be complying with the regulations regarding weekly rest periods, but as I say without knowing what time he finishes of Saturday and starts on Monday it’s not possible to say for certain.

tfclark:
I was self employed driving my own vehicle for 2 yrs so i wasnt under the wtd and now i am working alot more hours then i did before which is full time work instead of part time unlike the hours i used to do.

The questions you’ve asked here about weekly rest periods come under the drivers hours and tachograph regulations ((EC)561/2006) and are nothing to do with the WTD.

tfclark:
Be greatful if anyone can give me info and advice on the matter…

Cheers

Feel free to post back if there’s anything you are not sure about :wink:

so if i drove last saturday and had a full 45 i could drive this saturday as well as i hadnt reduced my rest and could therefore work every saturday as long as i didnt reduce my weekly rest hypotheticly of course

alix776:
so if i drove last saturday and had a full 45 i could drive this saturday as well as i hadnt reduced my rest and could therefore work every saturday as long as i didnt reduce my weekly rest hypotheticly of course

If you can fit a 45 hour weekly rest period into each week there’s nothing to stop you working part of every Saturday.

Lets say you finish at 11:00 on Saturday and start on Monday at 08:00 you’ve had 45 consecutive hours rest so there’s nothing to stop you doing that every week

For most people it doesn’t seem to work out that way but if the start and finish times for the weekly rest are right it can be done.

So if i am right in thinking if they like me to work nearly every saturday, if i start at 9:00 am on every monday morning for every saturday worked i be ok has that be my weekly rest done.
I think thats right has i being 2 hours short on my rest…?

tfclark:
So if i am right in thinking if they like me to work nearly every saturday, if i start at 9:00 am on every monday morning for every saturday worked i be ok has that be my weekly rest done.
I think thats right has i being 2 hours short on my rest…?

Yes, if you finish at 12:00 on Saturday and resume again at 09:00 Monday you will have had a full weekly rest and you could do that every week.

You could just do that every second weekend if you wanted to though and on the other start at 07:00 Monday as normal. That would mean a reduced rest of 43 hours every second week but that is legal and the 2 hours compensation will be paid back after your daily rest period from 05:00 Monday until 07:00 Tuesday.

cheers for the replys and advice given that has now put me in the know so i know what and when to start late on monday or not… :smiley:

thanks