Just 2 questions about class 1

Hello guys, I start my Class 1 training on the 3rd and just have some questions for you pro’s.

1. I take it that, say, a unit (no trailer) is plated at 44T right, so does that mean you cant go into a 16T limit even when not pulling a trailer?

2. I know that the training provider will know but, will i need / Should i use my taco card when training?

Thanks

Kieran

my guess on 1 is that No, you cannot go. on 2 - you can train without a tacho card

I’d take a unit into a 7.5 limit. It’s all it weighs

PaulNowak:
I’d take a unit into a 7.5 limit. It’s all it weighs

You’d be wrong then!

No you cant.

Most weight limits are on MGW, so a units MGW is likely either 18t or 26t. The 44t is with trailer attached.

Don’t give a monkeys, I’d still do it

Priest:
my guess on 1 is that No, you cannot go. on 2 - you can train without a tacho card

Ok in that case when i start work after my test do i just set it to brake■■?

MrGodSquad:

1. I take it that, say, a unit (no trailer) is plated at 44T right, so does that mean you cant go into a 16T limit even when not pulling a trailer?

If the weight limit sign is a round sign with a red perimeter the weight given is the MAM of the vehicle, so no you could not legally take an artic unit into the restricted zone unless the sign says for access only.

For instance this sign means that you cannot take a vehicle with a gross weight of over 7.5 tonnes through the restriction.

MrGodSquad:
2. I know that the training provider will know but, will i need / Should i use my taco card when training?

While your training for a test your tachograph exempt so you will not be using the tachograph and will not need a driver card whilst on a training course.

tachograph:
For instance this sign means that you cannot take a vehicle with a gross weight of over 7.5 tonnes through the restriction.

At the risk of sounding like i should not have my licence, I am right in saying that a 7.5T CAN go past the sign you have posted above? Because its nothing OVER 7.5T right?

MrGodSquad:

tachograph:

At the risk of sounding like i should not have my licence, I am right in saying that a 7.5T CAN go past the sign you have posted above? Because its nothing OVER 7.5T right?

Yep but a 8t truck can’t

blue estate:

MrGodSquad:

tachograph:

Yep but a 8t truck can’t

Thanks, I was thinking i was going mad for a minute. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

MrGodSquad:

That’s right, the sign gives the maximum gross vehicle weight that can pass through the restricted area, so a vehicle with a MAM of 7.5t could pass through the restriction but any vehicle with a MAM over 7.5t can’t … well not legally anyway.

MrGodSquad:

Priest:

i feel daft but i can’t understand your question…

Priest:

MrGodSquad:

Priest:

i feel daft but i can’t understand your question…

sorry its my poor wording. After reading it, it does not make any sense. :blush: I will try to word it in a different way:

When i start working after finishing my training and put my card in, do i just do a manual entry for the week of training as rest period or other work or something else like the “?”. although from what others have said i think i just use rest/brake.

hope that makes sense.

I’d just leave it. It doesn’t count towards work, if anything, I’d do a manual entry from the year dot until the minute you start your job as rest.

i have not done any manual entries to cover my training

So would a 7.5 tonne vehicle with a tow bar, plated at 11 tonnes gtw, but no trailer be legal to go through the 7.5 restriction?

Dclarke369:
So would a 7.5 tonne vehicle with a tow bar, plated at 11 tonnes gtw, but no trailer be legal to go through the 7.5 restriction?

From what I can tell (just my guess is) yes as it would not have the trailer so it would just be a 7.5T, but as soon as you put the trailer on no, other wise no 7.5T could go past it.

As I said just my guess, I maybe 100% wrong

What about a 7.5 tonne with a 750kg trailer but a total weight of 7.5 tonnes or under?

Went over a bridge in Croydon that was plated at 18t MGW, I drive a 26t but I had the tag up and was empty.

Dclarke369:
What about a 7.5 tonne with a 750kg trailer but a total weight of 7.5 tonnes or under?

No as it would have a total plated weight of over 7.5, nearly all weight restrictions are MAM (Maximum Authorized Mass) or GTW (Gross Train Weight, if its got a trailer), and has nothing to do with how much you weigh at the time. unless it has a sign that says something like “unless unladen”