Junk Mail

Seeing the thread "Excuse me Sir’ I thought I would tell you what to do about all that unwanted Junk mail you get :exclamation:
Just save it up, get the prepaid envelopes and fill them with the other companies crap, then post all :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

just send it straight back in the pre-paid envelope that way it costs them twice the amount. :laughing:

Yep!, thats what we do too :laughing:

Yes :exclamation: But when they open it to find some other companies crap inside it’s just that bit more annoying :laughing:

Nice one never thought of doing that, this may be my new years resolution. Or maybe it will be to get a proper job,and fail again :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you can always register with the mail preference servicehttp://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/ and get it all blocked, all except the stuff you get from the council

That reminds me of a horrible thing we used to do when we were kids.there was a small group of us kids who found dumped thopusands of those pre paid envelopes with kodak on them…so we decided to have some fun…well we thought so in those days…we had what one would call (■■■■ gloves) cos thats what we put into the envelopes…and posted them…so maybe a bit of that mixed up with the junk mail will do the trick…but its not always possible to get the pre paid envelope…the things i hate are the pizza…chinese, indian, take away leaflets that clog the letterbox…mini cab cards…surveys…and then the annoying phone calls…just as theres an interesting program on the telly…trying to sell double glazing.or credit cards etc…but we cant escape it can we…even as we type we get bombarded with slappers on the so called im`s…look at my web cam slappers…i used to answer them with alot of abuse…but gave up after a while…too many to bother with…and although i am with a.o.l. broadband and they offer a filter service…they still get through …and even a.o.l. send their own…so we cant escape them…
have a nice day

Truckyboy, there are a couple of options open to you, to get rid of your spam. One is to get a programme called Mailwasher.
This programme downloads the headers of your e-mails, without downloading the rest of it. You then go through the headers and tell it to delete all the ones you don’t want, leaving the rest to download onto your computer.
The other option is to download a completely different e-mail client (outlook is an e-mail client), the one I would recommend is Mozilla Thunderbird. You can download it from THIS site. It has a built in filter which learns from you, which e-mails you want or don’t want and drops your spam straight into the bin as they arrive.
There is also a replacement for internet explorer on the same site. It has a built in pop-up stopper and can be a lot less vulnerable than the microsoft effort.

Thanks Simon…sounds a good idea to stop all the rubbish filtering through…A.O.L. supposed to have a filter but only when it suits them…and those slappers that keep advertising themselves via ims…well they still come on screen and there is a notice on the botom that gives a choice of what to do…i always use block all but the block file only holds a certain amount and then they keep arriving…but i will take your advice and download something to try and stop it once and for all…but once again thanks
have a nice day

I would only recommend the download if you have broadband. Also, as you are using AOL :frowning: :frowning: , I would check with them that it’ll work with their e-mail download system.

I first got it from the free CD which came with PC Answers mag, and it isn’t on this months.

To stop junk mail: as said above, register with the Mailing Preference Service.

To stop unsolicted phone calls flogging double glazing & the like:
Register with the Telephone Preference Service.
I found it stops 99%

To slowly & eventually reduce greatly the amount of junk email: set your pc to display a warning when a site is wanting to download cookies & disallow them. I’ve found this works well as most junk mail is generated from visits to websites. (even unintentional ones :blush: )

Truckyboy: I totally agree the AOL IM’s from 18/f/usa etc. are a flipping nuisance.
If I get a lot from one address, I reply with a threat of a report to AOL of system abuse/commercial activity. That seems to work.