Jungle

Its that time of year again where road signs disappear behind overhanging, leafy branches. I think that clearance is the responsibility of highways agency (or maybe local council) Anyway, I for one would appreciate highways agency being informed:

How to complain
Set out your complaint clearly including dates and any other details. Send it to us at info@highwaysengland.co.uk.

Other ways to complain
Contact us by phone on our 24-hour helpline on 0300 123 5000 (local rate call).

It’s about time they removed greenery from roundabouts and junctions. My Mrs almost got took out on a roundabout last week, because a mug that decided it’s ok to hit the roundabout at 50 as he can see his right, not worrying that nobody can see him due to the overgrown trees and bushes :unamused:

First of all, it’s not “Highways Agency” it’s now “Highways England” and if you worked there you’d know that.

Secondly, Highways England are only responsible for MOST (not all) motorways, and major trunk roads (You’d be surprised what is and isn’t a trunk road now-a-days)
They don’t manage any roads in either Wales or Scotland either. ALL other roads are the responsibility of either County highways departments, or local council highways departments.

See this map for Highways Englands road network.

The “Traffic England” map shows much better what is covered by HE, although there are certain small parts that show up in green that are not HA .

From what distance does a mandatory road sign have to be visible? ie not obscured by greenery.

Being on tippers it’s not uncommon when delivering at private addresses, for neighbours to call out “don’t damage my tree!” even though it overhangs the public highway or goes over next doors’ boundary. I’ve even collected muck with our grab where people have piled muck against a tree and then been all precious about it.

They clearly don’t class the A66 a high priority trunk road seeing as there’s bloody horse drawn carts allowed to go up and down it

Do as do…Stop, get out and have a look, other road users are always appreciative :laughing:

I found the HE app on App Store recently and think it’s useful. Same as your “Live Traffic Update” on your Satnav really, but no subscription fees.

The real Biffo:
First of all, it’s not “Highways Agency” it’s now “Highways England” and if you worked there you’d know that.

Secondly, Highways England are only responsible for MOST (not all) motorways, and major trunk roads (You’d be surprised what is and isn’t a trunk road now-a-days)
They don’t manage any roads in either Wales or Scotland either. ALL other roads are the responsibility of either County highways departments, or local council highways departments.

See this map for Highways Englands road network.

UK Government Web Archive

The “Traffic England” map shows much better what is covered by HE, although there are certain small parts that show up in green that are not HA .
http://www.trafficengland.com/

Thanks for that. I don’t work for HE. I just snipped the contact details from their website which might have suggested otherwise

Muckaway:
Being on tippers it’s not uncommon when delivering at private addresses, for neighbours to call out “don’t damage my tree!” even though it overhangs the public highway or goes over next doors’ boundary. I’ve even collected muck with our grab where people have piled muck against a tree and then been all precious about it.

“Keep off the grass” :stuck_out_tongue:

Muckaway:

I always used to smile and say, “don’t worry, I don’t charge for pruning!”