Joy at others misery

As I mentioned in the Job Centre Vacancies thread, I had an interview for my first non-agency class 1 job on Saturday.

I didn’t get the gig, as another guy had relevant experience. There is a twist though. At the interview the boss of the company mentioned one of his other drivers was going to court this Friday facing a potential ban. When I was told I didn’t get the job the guy says I would get the gig if his driver gets his license taken off him. I was dissapointed, but quite excited about the fact that I may still get a start cos the job sounds great, the boss seemed a nice, amicable guy and one of the other drivers in the yard said thay were a good crowd to work for.

Yet I feel guilty and would feel bad if this dude gets a ban. I can’t wait to get out of my removals job cos it’s crap money for knackering yourself day-in day-out. But willing someone out of their livelyhood is a bit nasty.

Am I dwelling too much on something which has nothing to do with me? It was his fault he already has points on his license and got caught ny 2 speed cameras in one day. Besides, I don’t know him from Adam. Still, I would hate to lose my license, cos I love driving wagons.

mate if you dont take it someone else will. Drivers get banned every day of the week, and need to be replaced!! Would you be feeling like this if you didnt know about the guy losing the books??

Didnt think so, but go for it mate, I CAN see your dilema, but its a dog eat dog world out there…

And good luck!!

Kev

One question worth asking about the other drivers misfortune is why all the speeding offences & are other drivers at this company facing the same problems ?.
If you have done agency work locally you will know the local reputations, but if the company runs responsably then who made the choice to speed the company or the driver ?.

scania king kev:
mate if you dont take it someone else will.

Surely you misunderstand. There’s absolutely no chance of me turning down the job!!! Was just expressing my feelings on the topic.

And Alan, I made it clear in the interview, when the topic arose, that I do not speed, not enough to get pulled anyway. I told him it’s my license and that no deadline is woth getting banned for.

Well, its good that you feel empathy for your fellow human being, but at the end of the day its out of your hands and whatever you wish one way or the other will make no difference to the outcome of his case.

So just prepare for either situation.

I agree with Alans point. A firm that puts pressure on drivers to break the law isnt worth working for, although as Alan points out, the driver may have a bit of a heavy right foot.

All the best either way.

Vince

I very rarely feel sorry for anyone who looses his license because they usualy desrve it. Either it is his first offence which would mean he had done something very stupid such as drink driving or it is aresult of three or four offences which means he is a habitual bad driver.

Don’t feel guilty at taking the guys job, he should know better.

DO THE CRIME SERVE THE TIME.

Yeah I know. But it don’t matter anyway cos I got offered a job elsewhere with more cash and less running back and forth between the same loading and tipping address 7 times a day. So never mind!

Nice one Lostpup… good luck with your new job mate…
Kepp us up to date as to how it goes, its always good to read about peoples first impressions and stuff like that…

All the best mate