Journey time trials a1 a14 m42

what is the point in these ?they stop artics overtaking and put a 7 and half weight limit on them well anrt all seven and halfs governed to 56 which defeats the object of stopping artics overtaking :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
another well thought out idea by the gormless goverment :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
whats everyone else thinkâ– â– ?

anrt all seven and halfs governed to 56

NO

• but I see your point - those that are governed should have the same restrictions.

IMO, overtaking should be allowed where a vehicle in the only lane for LGVs is doing below a certain speed - to my mind it is stupid to have all LGVs doing say, 40mph in a 56 limit, because of one slow one - DAFT

I agree!!

Well in answer to the 7.5t question anything over 3.5 tonne and newer than 51 reg has to be pegged down now, inc 6 tonne vans. When their pegged down there also banned from lane 3 of a motorway too. This rule came in on the 1st Jan 2007, though VOSA let the operators have till 1st Jan this year to get things changed as they hadn’t the manpower to enforce the rules (typical).

I think this is another example of our myopic moronic government looking across the channel for answers as Germany and others already operate a system like this. I say like this as its only at busy junctions during peak periods, not stretches of good road during daylight hours.

This is purely to win votes, so the stupid sales-fools can speed too their next three points and stealth road tax payment because they didn’t get held up by satan’s helpers in their trucks, then thank the DOT for keeping the lanes free for them.

I must admit one thing that is a plus point though. If they bring this in nationwide, and were all stuck in lane one, the car drivers wont be able to get on or off the motorways, keeping them clear fot us. :laughing:

bigsib:
as Germany and others already operate a system like this. I say like this as its only at busy junctions during peak periods, not stretches of good road during daylight hours.

German motorways have long stretches that dont allow overtaking for trucks during the day, most are 2 lane but some long hills are 3 or even 4 lanes and still no overtaking.

worst one used to be the Cats Back on the way to Frankfurt from Koln (so called due to large roadsign with a black cat with trucks going down its back :open_mouth: I dont know why either)
that had police hideaways on overhead gantries to catch you overtaking :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

anyone know if its still the same…1999 last time I went down that way.

Just ban ALL lorries no matter how big or how heavy FOREVER…

Hush Jammy.

Well, over here in der vatterland, people often take a dive for a gap to overtake someone who’s significantly slower. Especially uphill.
What do you suggest when you’re on a dual carriageway, behind a tractor doing 40kph? 99% of you will risk it in those circumstances, and nip round them. It wouldn’t work otherwise. And over here most people move over to let people out. If we did it like the British government are suggesting, no-one would move over for anything, and an impenetrable wall of wagons on the inside lane at about 70kph or so would just go on forever.

I think its just a complete waste of time to be honest its just putting off the ‘hold up’ for other drivers til further up the road.
if you stop wagons from overtaking for any length of time you then get a wall of lorries built up over the restricted miles then as soon as the restriction is lifted all the wagons then start to overtake one another at the same time,thus holding up everybody else for much longer cause there are more trucks that have built up overtaking ,taking much longer cause there is probably more than 1 truck that the faster trucks want to overtake :unamused:
it makes no sense to me at all,especially over the small distances that the government have chosen to trial.
Ive said before,if they’re gonna do it,why dont they do it on the dual section of the M11 from stansted to the A11 junction for instance,not that im at all condoning the idea ,but doing it on a tiny relatively unbusy part of the M42 and 1 junction of the A14 which tbh is’nt the busiest part of that road either and then calling it a ‘great success’ ,just seems to me ridiculous if they are thinking of implementing it on busier routes.