JOTTINGS

hiya,
I suppose this is the only place where I can post news of my latest hospital visit well as far as the “C” thingy is concerned the risk of it’s return is minimal and my hospital visits are now annual but a little tale about when they first started treating me via chemotherapy there was another chap who was receiving the same treatment as myself which once a month for three months entailed an overnight stay in hospital, the other guy was a year or so older than me and we was usually allowed home at the same time the following morning after getting our months supply of tablets from the dispensary, a member of my family used to pick me up and take me home the next morning and I felt really rough the other guy who as i said had exactly the same treatment as me always asked me to join him at the pub where he went, which was close to the hospital he just about jogged for his pint, i had the job getting in the car and couldn’t wait to get home for an hour or two in bed,.
thanks harry long retired

harry_gill:
hiya,
I suppose this is the only place where I can post news of my latest hospital visit well as far as the “C” thingy is concerned the risk of it’s return is minimal and my hospital visits are now annual but a little tale about when they first started treating me via chemotherapy there was another chap who was receiving the same treatment as myself which once a month for three months entailed an overnight stay in hospital, the other guy was a year or so older than me and we was usually allowed home at the same time the following morning after getting our months supply of tablets from the dispensary, a member of my family used to pick me up and take me home the next morning and I felt really rough the other guy who as i said had exactly the same treatment as me always asked me to join him at the pub where he went, which was close to the hospital he just about jogged for his pint, i had the job getting in the car and couldn’t wait to get home for an hour or two in bed,.

That’s rayt good news Harry,I’m pleased for you pal. Must be the “water of life” that’s working well eh?
How is the wife by the way?

Chris Webb:

harry_gill:
hiya,

That’s rayt good news Harry,I’m pleased for you pal. Must be the “water of life” that’s working well eh?
How is the wife by the way?

hiya
Thanks Chris, the wife’s still sore and her arm’s still suspended in a sling, but she’s no doubt enjoying seeing me slaving away at the cooker and the Hoover,feminine wiles isn’t in it, she’ll do anything to keep me busy and keep me away from the bottle.
thanks harry long retired.

just you be careful with all those dangerous household appliances harry . you could do yourself a mischief if you don’t . ring elf n safety and tell them you aren’t trained for the job , they might send you a home help . i hope your wife soon recovers , and don’t forget to check the mousetraps in the shed , cheers , dave

rigsby:
just you be careful with all those dangerous household appliances harry . you could do yourself a mischief if you don’t . ring elf n safety and tell them you aren’t trained for the job , they might send you a home help . i hope your wife soon recovers , and don’t forget to check the mousetraps in the shed , cheers , dave

Don’t answer the phone while you are ironing :wink:

Wheel Nut:

rigsby:

Don’t answer the phone while you are ironing :wink:

hiya,
Ouch.

Thats great news Harry, :smiley: :smiley: we’ll celebrate with a drop of good stuff at the next “do”.
I sympathise with your “mrs mopp” stint Harry :cry: :cry: I had a spell a few years back
when the bride broke a leg and an arm at the same time, that was an experience I
wouldn’t want to repeat. good luck too you. Kev.

harry_gill:
hiya,
Anybody remember the ESSO advert from the 60s, and who else drove about with a tiger’s tail tied round the filler tube on the derv tank, I seem to think it was narrated by an imitation Indian voiceover which went something like " I’ve got a tiger in my tank,anybody want to buy an elephant", funny I can’t remember what I had for my breakfast but I can trawl rubbish up from donkey’s year’s ago, a bit sad eh’.

Remember the ad on the telly for Horlicks back then? A lorry driver stops at a caravan type lunch place (i think) and the announcer says ‘this lorry driver just drove a hundred miles for a horlicks’
Of course he was a very handsome lorry driver, not like real life :wink: :wink:
Or maybe it’s just me :cry:

Charles

i would drive 100 miles to get away from a horlicks , bloody horrible cack , i think harry’s bedtime soother has a lot more going for it ! when i was setting off from home , i always had cornflakes and a brew at bedtime , saved me 10 minutes in the morning lol , cheers , dave

Chris Webb:
Hi Jim,that’s a grand photo of the BRS HD57,he’d have time to count the wheelnuts and could even slip out of the cab and check the ropes :smiley:
And you are right,Frederick Allen was from Bedworth and another company I’d forgotten all about.

have you any old pics of ramage douglas water before they were allens

These will be a while before Fredrick Allen’s time at Riggside. Sorry but I havent a clue who the photogapher was. Eddie.

RAMAGE DOUGLAS WATER 4.jpg

RAMAGE DOUGLAS WATER 3.jpg

RAMAGE DOUGLAS WATER 2.jpg

RAMAGE DOUGLAS WATER 1.jpg

Just remembered when we are on about Ramage,In the mid 60’s I was with a chap from Sanquhar who had 3 tippers and a Bray
loading shovel and every Sat.morning we had to go with the shovel to the old Lead mine in Wanlockhead where a chap from Edinburgh was digging over the old heaps around the mine and putting it through a thing based on an early washing machine but much bigger and the lead eventually floated on top of the water and was skimmed off by rubber blades and left to dry out and our job was to load Ramage’s Reiver tipper with lead and it was then taken to Bristol for processing. Eddie.

hiya,
When I was a very young driver there was a couple of firms who genuinely
appreciated their drivers and that’s all the drivers did was drive from point
A to point B the motor’s mainly rigids and mostly eight wheelers were always
loaded and roped and sheeted for the driver, the motor was turned round at
the delivery point ready for going onwards or back to base all this was done
whilst the driver was in his pre-booked accomodation, doe’s anyone remember
the old GPO telephones?? another company that appreciated their drivers was
Thompsons the newspaper and comic company, and wasn’t Distillers a bit nice
to their drivers as well, all these companies had waiting lists from here to
New York, a pal of mine in Lochee worked for Distillers and went to work in a
better suit than I had for Sunday he also wore a tie which I wasn’t too bothered
about, I wouldn’t know how to fasten the damned thing.
thanks harry, long retired.

erfguy:
These will be a while before Fredrick Allen’s time at Riggside. Sorry but I havent a clue who the photogapher was. Eddie.

ramage rigside

KEITHERIC29:

erfguy:

ramage rigside

ramage 1970

KEITHERIC29:

erfguy:

ramage rigside

Hi Jim,I got this from a calendar put out by Crawfordjohn Heritage Trust.It must be in the thirties as the garage at Abington was built in 1938 the year of the exhibition hence the name exhibition garage.

Hello Robert that would be a fair sized float in its day I would guess most would have been 4wheelers It looks a smart Hippo
have you any idea what Neil Blacks colours were.Eddie.