Jost or Fontaine

What’s the best sliding fifth wheel Jost or Fontaine ?

jost 240000 nt mtr sliding wheel.

Jost is more available and easier to service IMHO. Both keep trailers attached and both slide. Ish.

The Jost are not what they used to be. They are also very prone to dropping trailers. Fontaine is definitely better but G+F tops them all. Several operators coming through our workshop wear out 5th wheel coupling prematurely(tanker work…Moffet mounty work etc…) and we have found G+F are superior in every way in these applications. They tend to outlive the Jost in a like for like application three times over.

Hadn’t really considered a G+F are they the best ?
Need something with a slider that could stick tipper work
With a little bit of tanker work. The Jost slider frames do crack .

I’ve not fitted a slider for approx 15 years, only need fixed 5th wheels these days, but I’ve always specced Jost JSK36DV3. I’ve never had a dropped trailer, and kept in adjustment will give at least 10 years or 1,000,000Km service.

However

I’ve noticed recently when adjusting/checking my 5th wheels, that the ones less than 2 years old have wear in the pivot bushes. Not enough to change the bushes, but definite wear all the same. I’ve got a 10 year old one with no play in the same bushes.

Jost at Heywood will fall over themselves to help you though. Will do a safety check on your 5th wheel for free (and not take the ■■■■ by saying it needs this, that and the other), plus will quote reasonable rates for repairing/replacement too.

Not really related haven’t found them great at Heywood for Tridec axle stuff after they took them over.

I would have said Jost mainly because it’s what I know best.

Own Account Driver:
Not really related haven’t found them great at Heywood for Tridec axle stuff after they took them over.

I would have said Jost mainly because it’s what I know best.

where is the best place to buy spares for tridec, I run a flat with r/steer
cheers moose

Special order from the Netherlands often the only choice very little on the shelf in this country which is surprising as a lot of supermarket deckers were on their axles although you see less around these days, possibly because they’re a nightmare to get the brakes through test, I’ve got one in the yard staring at me that I’m struggling to get motivated to start on.

mine is an sdc with bpw axles the thing has not done much from new, its not caused me any bother yet, just thought it may be handy to have a spare ball joint for each end of the rod that runs the length of the trailer!

I’m sure they’ll be a standard part if you can work out what, a lot are actually BPW if you can fathom the part number.

This thread motivated me to make a start, wish I hadn’t :imp: It’s all come flooding back and I bet every wheel will need two new bushings on the lever connected to the brake chamber so they’re pretty parts hungry. I’d rather have regular axle any day of the week - pic for anyone interested in weird axles. :laughing:

tridec decker.JPG