Jonboy goes genral

well i did it

i gave up my cushty number on the shop work to go back to genral haulage.im on 3 grand lessand will be driving a erf 2 to 3 nights out a weekand loving every minute.

the shop deliverys were getting boring (doing the same thing day in day out )and it was time for a change,so i jumped at it…

which brings me onto the erf.

does anyone have a fool proof guide ,even better in the words of a 5 year old (simpley) whats the best way to drive a twin splitter, im alright going up the box its coming back down is the problem :exclamation: :exclamation:

help!!![/size]

cheers jon

jonboy,
you dont need to come down the box as such, as if i remember, 10th, 11th & 12th will take you down to about 30 mph anyway, its just a matter of matching roadspeed to gear numbers.
but there must be someone on here who can help you better than me?

paul

just play with it till you get it right, it won’t take long

biggusdickusgb:
just play with it till you get it right, it won’t take long

oo-er missus :wink: :laughing:

It’s the same with the Scania box I drive. I found waiting til the revs drop lower than you would expect (ie well below the bottom of the green band on the rev counter) then double the clutch with a healthy rev of the throttle when in neutral and it falls into gear.

But I would prefer to be able to use the gears to slow me down more, instead I always end up fighting to get it into a lower gear. End up relying more on the brakes and block-changing instead. :unamused:

Best box ever, just take off your left leg after you have pulled away and trow it out the window. If you think about pressing the clutch then you have missed the gear change. just dont think, or train yourself to change gear when you would normally be pressing the clutch. You will play the tubular bells abit at first, but after a week you will get the hang of it. I wish all trucks had twin splits on them!

jonboy:
well i did it

i gave up my cushty number on the shop work to go back to genral haulage.im on 3 grand lessand will be driving a erf 2 to 3 nights out a weekand loving every minute.

the shop deliverys were getting boring (doing the same thing day in day out )and it was time for a change,so i jumped at it…

which brings me onto the erf.

does anyone have a fool proof guide ,even better in the words of a 5 year old (simpley) whats the best way to drive a twin splitter, im alright going up the box its coming back down is the problem :!: :!:

help!!![/size]

cheers jon
[/quote]

Jon, the twin split is the best and fastest gearbox ever!! I drove twin splits for 6 years.
When putting it in gear to pull away, always make sure you press the clutch right to the floor!! There is a clutch brake on them and if you do not operate it, then it will make all kinds of lovely noises as it goes in and the guvenor will love you if you’re in the yard lol
Assuming you have the four position with three splits in each box … once you are on the move, then just select the gear and come off the throttle briefly and it will change. So if you pull away in 2 middle and are fully freighted, you may want to go to 3 low … when ready, just select the low position and change it into 3 from 2. You have to get the revs right for this to happen obviously.
The beauty of this box is when climbing!!! We are all used to losing a bit of momentum going uphill when changing down… this doesn’t happen with a twin split if you ‘bunny hop’!! If you’re climbing and need to change down, then bunny hopping is the fastest change you will ever find!! To do this, assume you are doing 56 in 4 high (12th) gear. As the revs drop off, select 4 middle and very quickly pull the stick out of gear and push back in straight away. It will have changed. With practise, you will get this off to a fine art and be amazed as you pull without losing any momentum.
Have fun with the twin split and remember to push the clutch home firmly on putting it in gear the first time :o)))))

I agree with Biggus just keep playing about, works on almost any box that does. it just needs practice, all I’ll add is listen to the lump, it’ll tell you when! :slight_smile:

Never driven an ERF Johnboy so can’t help you with that, but glad your enjoying the job :wink: .

Yep you made the right choice with a twin splitter although i have never had one in an ERF. I had a 13speed in mine. I have had 4 MAN’s with twin splits though.

Its like an automatic only easier after a week or so :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with the above, just listen to her and let the revs drop, she’ll tell you when. :wink:

Ladytrucker679:
I agree with the above, just listen to her and let the revs drop, she’ll tell you when. :wink:

Just to be sure we are still talking about the gearbox ,right? :wink: :blush: :smiley: :sunglasses:

jonboy this erf doesnt happen to live in woodville and have green stripes on it does it :laughing:

JB,just hope it,s working right if not wear some steel undies when trying to get off a roundabout,cluch break is right at the bottom or the cluch pedal depression but if you dont get the rev,s right it,s good rodeo pactice. :wink: :wink:

Good luck JB, I know how you felt, I left Tesco (a job for life) to do something much harder with months away but less boring.

Coffeeholic:

Ladytrucker679:

Just to be sure we are still talking about the gearbox ,right? :wink: :blush: :smiley: :sunglasses:

COFFEEHOLIC!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

I only drove an erf with a twin splitter for 3 weeks, but I found the best way to come down the box was to wear ear plugs and just keep shoving it until it went in…

:wink: :wink:

quote by carl:

jonboy this erf doesnt happen to live in woodville and have green stripes on it does it

thats the one mate,finally made the jump :laughing: :laughing:

jon

Coffeeholic:

Ladytrucker679:

Naughty Naughty! :laughing:

i might see ya then jb the guy i work for parks in the top yard there :laughing:

JB, there is a thread [u]Here[/u] which tells you all about how to get the best out of a twin splitter. :open_mouth: :unamused: :smiley: :smiley:

I hope it helps.